• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CyberShy

I see that you finally agree that your side is the dark side
    acknowledging that is the first step to turning over to the good side
    Nope, Dark and proud
    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

Not so fast. I heard they determined the current age (14 billion years) by measuring how long it took light to travel from the edge of observable space. If that is true then shouldn't the current age be 28 billion years? That is, the time required for the edge to expand to 14 billion LYs away plus the time it took for the light to travel from that far away?
      Nope. General relativity. c is always c.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Wouldn't it stand to reason that the universe expanded even more in the 14 billion years it took for light to travel from the observable edge?
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
          Wouldn't it stand to reason that the universe expanded even more in the 14 billion years it took for light to travel from the observable edge?
          So the the place we are looking at 14 billion light years away was 14 billion light years away when the light began it's journey but is god only knows how far away now due to 14 billion years of expansion since then?

I didn't think it worked that way.

Comment

Originally posted by Geronimo
            So the the place we are looking at 14 billion light years away was 14 billion light years away when the light began it's journey but is god only knows how far away now due to 14 billion years of expansion since then?

I didn't think it worked that way.
            Correct, but something must be wrong with my logic if the current age is correct.
            "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
            "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
            2004 Presidential Candidate
            2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Working...
            X