Access to Ban Logs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Access to Ban Logs

Given that the server is based in the states? Do you think we could use the US Freedom of Information Act to force the admins to publish the logs?

(+1)

without knowing much about US laws, in fact with knowledge based solely on watching Law & Order, i would thing the Freed of Information Act is about state data
    Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

The UK act applies to all public bodies which is very widely interpreted. Given your status as the worlds premier civ site, I suspect you would qualify as a public body in the UK.

Anyway, you would have to release extracts under the Data Protection Act.

Any hotshot US lawyers know the answer to this?
      (+1)

Comment

Indeed, the FOIA's purpose is solely to maintain open government. It doesn't affect Apolyton.
        The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Here's a good blurb on it from the Department of Justice:

Like all federal agencies, the Department of Justice (DOJ) generally is required under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) to disclose records requested in writing by any person. However, agencies may withhold information pursuant to nine exemptions and three exclusions contained in the statute. The FOIA applies only to federal agencies and does not create a right of access to records held by Congress, the courts, or by state or local government agencies. Each state has its own public access laws that should be consulted for access to state and local records.

Comment

Originally posted by spartak
            Given that the server is based in the states? Do you think we could use the US Freedom of Information Act to force the admins to publish the logs?

You'd wish...

I'm no expert on US laws, but I think the American Freedom of Information Act only applies to government agencies, not private organisations.

I'm aware of a similar UK act which does apply to private organisations, but they are only obliged to disclose information that applies to the individual that requests it. I.o.w. you can ask if and why you were banned yourself, but not about other people.

Even without knowing the details it's obvious that neither Act would requires all organisations to disclose all their information. Information is probably the most valuable commodity of our time, that would effectively be enforcing sort of a post-modern communism.

I'm sure some people would like to see such a thing, but that just isn't going to happen...
            Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

I think you are confusing the UK Data Protection Act and the Freedom of Information Act.
              (+1)

Comment

I think you are confusing the UK Data Protection Act and the Freedom of Information Act.
                Quick Googling shows you're right. The two complement each other and are easy to confuse for a complete outsider. Yet the FOIA too only applies to "public authorities and companies that are wholly owned by public".

If Britain had dediced to implement informational communism I'm sure I, as someone who studies Information Science, would've heard about it
                Administrator of WePlayCiv -- Civ5 Info Centre | Forum | Gallery

Comment

The UK act applies to all public bodies which is very widely interpreted. Given your status as the worlds premier civ site, I suspect you would qualify as a public body in the UK.

Anyway, you would have to release extracts under the Data Protection Act.
                  They certainly would, but that Act has no power over information held in the US by an American body.
                  The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

Yes I know. I was just providing an example to illustrate my ignorance and for all I knew the UK act was based onm the US act.

After all the US is the only country that actively exports their laws to other sovereign states.
                    (+1)

Comment

i think we solved this...

i'm transfering the thread to OT in case you want to continue this incredibly interesting discussion on the differences and similarities of the acts in the UK and US
                      Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
                      Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
                      giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

Comment

Yes I know. I was just providing an example to illustrate my ignorance and for all I knew the UK act was based onm the US act.

After all the US is the only country that actively exports their laws to other sovereign states.
                        Well, we got bored with exporting burgers, expressos, and Pop Divas so we broadened our horizons.

Comment

I love a troll, don't you
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Sparky's on a roll.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                            X