• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knife Control?

I saw this article in the NY Times.

May 27, 2005
    British Medical Experts Campaign for Long, Pointy Knife Control
    By JOHN SCHWARTZ

Warning: Long, pointy knives may be hazardous to your health.

The authors of an editorial in the latest issue of the British Medical Journal have called for knife reform. The editorial, "Reducing knife crime: We need to ban the sale of long, pointed kitchen knives," notes that the knives are being used to stab people as well as roasts and the odd tin of Spam.

The authors of the essay - Drs. Emma Hern, Will Glazebrook and Mike Beckett of the West Middlesex University Hospital in London - called for laws requiring knife manufacturers to redesign their wares with rounded, blunt tips.

The researchers noted that the rate of violent crime in Britain rose nearly 18 percent from 2003 to 2004, and that in the first two weeks of 2005, 15 killings and 16 nonfatal attacks involved stabbings. In an unusual move for a scholarly work, the researchers cited a January headline from The Daily Express, a London tabloid: "Britain is in the grip of knives terror - third of murder victims are now stabbed to death." Dr. Hern said that "we came up with the idea and tossed it into the pot" to get people talking about crime reduction. "Whether it's a sensible solution to this problem or not, I'm not sure."

In the United States, where people are more likely to debate gun control than knife control, partisans on both sides sounded amused. Wayne LaPierre, executive vice president of the National Rifle Association, asked, "Are they going to have everybody using plastic knives and forks and spoons in their own homes, like they do in airlines?"

Peter Hamm, a spokesman for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, which supports gun control, joked, "Can sharp stick control be far behind?" He said people in his movement were "envious" of England for having such problems. "In America, we can't even come to an agreement that guns are dangerous and we should make them safer," he said.

The authors of the editorial argued that the pointed tip is a vestigial feature from less mannered ages, when people used it to spear meat. They said that they interviewed 10 chefs in England, and that "none gave a reason why the long, pointed knife was essential," though short, pointed knives were useful.

An American chef, however, disagreed with the proposal. "This is yet another sign of the coming apocalypse," said Anthony Bourdain, the executive chef at Les Halles and the author of "Kitchen Confidential."

A knife, he said, is a beloved tool of the trade, and not a thing to be shaped by bureaucrats. A chef's relationship with his knives develops over decades of training and work, he said, adding, "Its weight, its shape - these are all extensions of our arms, and in many ways, our personalities."

He compared the editorial to efforts to ban unpasteurized cheese. "Where there is no risk," he said, "there is no pleasure."

Exactly how stupid do you think this is? Or conversely if you think this is a good idea then I'm sure we could all use a laugh, so please sound off.
    He's got the Midas touch.
    But he touched it too much!
    Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

A knife, he said, is a beloved tool of the trade, and not a thing to be shaped by bureaucrats. A chef's relationship with his knives develops over decades of training and work, he said, adding, "Its weight, its shape - these are all extensions of our arms, and in many ways, our personalities."

you cant make that up. or this

He compared the editorial to efforts to ban unpasteurized cheese. "Where there is no risk," he said, "there is no pleasure."
    "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Sure. Why not?

If there's no real reason why knives have to have a pointed end, then why not make it blunted.

Comment

then you will see more severed fingers and penises.

Comment

Cool!
          The genesis of the "evil Finn" concept- Evil, evil Finland

Comment

I thought this would be a thread about knife fighting. But instead it's not. What gives?
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              I thought this would be a thread about knife fighting. But instead it's not. What gives?

It's about domestic freeform knife fighting- the kind of spontaneous event that you can't buy tickets for, you just have to be there.

Husband says: 'Where's my dinner you frickin' cow ?'

Wife says: 'In me hole, no-d!ck.'

Husband says: 'I'll hide the remote and your Asda chargecard.'

Wife grabs steak knife and dices husband.
              Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

domestic violence

I wonder if a person shakes like less than a second, makes that violent jerk, if you hit them to the head with a frying pan or shovel, or some object similar to them. If you hit them straight to the top of their heads. If you hit them with blunt object to the side of the head, they just fall right? But to the top of the head, do they make the jerk you know like lights out mother****er! Or do they just fall?
                In da butt.
                "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

I must say that is a subject that has not often preoccupied me in my waking hours.

I promise you Pekka, I will give it much thought now.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

yeah.. it's just you know, if they make that twist, it's so fast who knows, is it likely their hands will go up, I mean can they accidentally hit you when they twitch for less than a second before falling down? I mean, I'd hate to get poked in the eye from a bastard who is already KOd or would perhaps even do us a favour and die.

Knowing this, odds of getting poked in the eye if you hit them to the top of their heads with a frying pan, I'd choose to hit them to the side of their heads instead, make that movement and laws of physics protect me precious eyes, making them start falling immidiately to the side, let them twich on their way there but not while they're standing up.

ALSO I'd like to know what are the odds for leg injuries when hit in the head with a iron bar or similar. When lights go out, the knees give out also, and you might fall into sitting position even. You can basically give a lot of stress to your legs and knees and ankles if you fall on them into weirdness position. It would suck to be prosecuted for inuring someones legs when you even didn't, and whose fault is that anyway?

Also is it possible to die from strike to the face from frying pan? I'd predict you get your faces smashed and no I don't mean when your mommy hitting you with it. I mean a baseball hitter doing his best. Your face would shatter I guess and the bones would go and turn into dust, making you look like the ugliest mofo in town with bulldog face and million face reconstructions done, but I'm interested in knowing is it possible to die from it, of course it is, but how likely it is? It would seem to me that more dangerous is to hit anywhere else than the face.
                    In da butt.

Comment

Also is it possible to die from strike to the face from frying pan?

I should think it depends- cheap, Albanian market bought frying pan made from an old Sky satellite dish ?

No.

Robust cast iron skillet suitable for cooking omelettes, pancakes or blinis and lovingly oiled and seasoned ?

Probably, if you can drive some of the nasal structure and surrounding bones into the brain, or make sure you get a whole lot of swing as the pan impacts the forehead.

I hope this has been of some assistance to you Pekka, but perhaps Dr Strangelove or Guynemer might be better suited to answer this conundrum of yours.

Are you thinking of road testing any of your batterie de cuisine ?

Attached Files

Comment

No I have no fantasies of hurting other people.

But back to knives.. defending against a knife is one of the most difficult scenarios you could face. You're bound to get at least cut.

I'd like to know if hitting to the longue would give you the same trouble as hitting to the stomach area, I mean, the knife gets stuck and if you don't have a 'bloodline' in your knife (making you a PC knife owner), it might be difficult to pull it out for a new stabbing.

Also, how likely is nerve damage when hitting to the thigh vs hitting to the stomach? Also, how protective is the ribcage, I mean I figure you dont' want to go for the ribs with a knife. Also, technical question, how can you loosen the tip of the knife so you can make it 'a gypsy knife', meaning when you stab wiht it, you'll turn and cut the knife blade and leave it inside the bastard? This makes a popular ass stabbing tool, when you stab someones ass, you leave the tip of the blade in. This means, that it's inside you. This would create a situation where your buttock tightens (well you try to be relaxed), and it does more and mroe damage once inside you. It's really nasty though.. and it's difficult to run or walk to escape or to get help since every step you take will mean the blade cuts more. So hwo can you make such knife?
                        In da butt.

Comment

I'd like to know if hitting to the longue would give you the same trouble as hitting to the stomach area, I mean, the knife gets stuck and if you don't have a 'bloodline' in your knife (making you a PC knife owner), it might be difficult to pull it out for a new stabbing.

I believe somewhat different things preoccupy us, Pekka.

Gypsy toast I think about, gypsy music, but manufacturing gypsy knives ?

Umm, no.

Comment

It's fairly difficult to make a gun so it is easy to control their manufacture and distribution. A knife or shank is exceedingly easy to make so trying to control them will be expenentially more difficult.
                            Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

No it's not something .. it's not a real product. It's called a gypsy knife in here, but you have to mod it yourself to loosen the tip.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Working...
                              X