Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It was WWII and he saw her across a crowded dance floor . . .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It was WWII and he saw her across a crowded dance floor . . .

. . . and told his Army buddy, "That's the girl I'm gonna marry." And he did. They were married fifty years, until he died in 1999. She survived him just a few weeks over sixty years.

Theben's and my grandmother passed on this morning about 7am. She was 93, and lived a full life. She was born in 1912 and could remember waving to the doughboys as their trains shipped out to fight in the Great War. She remembers the Great Flu, when her Aunt Bessie's first husband died, and the Great Depression, and the Second World War.

She was a Kentucky gal, born and raised in Ownesboro, and had an accent to the day she died. During the war she met my grandfather at an officers' dance. She worked at Ft. Knox.

They had one daughter and moved to Des Plaines, IL. As a the man who built the Cook County Library, my grandfather went to a lot of places, and so they traveled widely throughout the world.

After my grandfather died, she diminshed quickly. She wasn't able to get out as much any more, but she had many wonderful stories, which I'll never hear again, except in my memories.

She will be missed.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

93 though, damn...
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Sounds like she was a remarkable woman who was married to a remarkable man.

my condolences for you and your family's loss
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Yeah, she'd been sick a lot this year, frequently getting dehydrated. We didn't think she was going to make it much longer, but we've thought that for a few years, and she kept hanging on. She was a tough old bird.
        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

I'm sorry to hear about that.
            Blah

Comment

I'll be in Chicago tonight 'till Sun, June 5th. I don't know if I'll have much time, but I should have some free time.

Comment

When my grandfather fell and broke his hip in March, 1999, I went to stay with my grandmother until mid-June. I cooked for her, and drove her around, listened to her stories. It was a good time. I had fortunately been laid off only a few weeks earlier, so I had the time and money to do it.

Comment

My condoleances Che Cherish her memory
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Imagine, living through the whole 20st century... No wonder she had stories to tell. Here's a to your grandmother Che.
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

"Look honey, back on earth our grandson started a thread about us, such a nice boy"

Chaneling Che's grandma.

Che, you'll miss them, that's life, you'll manage though, that's living.

Long time member @ Apolyton
                      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Her two brothers fought in WWII. One came home. Dudley died a few years ago. I wish I'd known him better. He was a wonderful story teller. The only one left now is Aunt Jeanne. She's like my grandmother marinated in tabasco. I need to make an effort to go visit her.

Comment

Okay, I gotta go. I'll check in tonight or tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by Serb:Please, remind me, how exactly and when exactly, Russia bullied its neighbors?
                            Originally posted by Ted Striker:Go Serb !
                            Originally posted by Pekka:If it was possible to capture the essentials of Sepultura in a dildo, I'd attach it to a bicycle and ride it up your azzes.

Comment

Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                              X