More freedom slips away from our American cousins

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc
    I don't swing that way Oerdin. Stop following me around.
    Yet more delusions? You could get therapy for that.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
      PLanes and trains I can understand but buses?! WTF? OBL isn't going to be riding grey hound. All a terrorist has to do is buy a $1000 beater of a car and drive where he wants. I suppose the buses thing was added in to try to stop illegal aliens from transiting the country by bus (which many of the poorest illegal immigraints do indeed do) but still it is pretty lame to call it an anti-terrorism measure.
      oerdin, no one has shown any evidence that an ID is required to board intercity buses. The greyhound web site implies that it is not required, for domestic travel.

I think the brit mag quoted in the OP simply got this wrong. They also seem to have gotten confused about what the realID act changes. It does NOT add more places, modes of transport where you need to show ID. What it DOES do is say that state drivers licenses will only be recognized by the Fed govt as ID IF proof of legal residency is required to get said drivers license.
      "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Oerdin just curious -- have you ever seen the movie, The Siege?
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

No.

Comment

So then you wouldn't get my joke.
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
              So then you wouldn't get my joke.
              you made a joke?

Comment

PLanes and trains I can understand but buses?! WTF? OBL isn't going to be riding grey hound. All a terrorist has to do is buy a $1000 beater of a car and drive where he wants. I suppose the buses thing was added in to try to stop illegal aliens from transiting the country by bus (which many of the poorest illegal immigraints do indeed do) but still it is pretty lame to call it an anti-terrorism measure.
                Suicide bombers. In most cases, they would have a higher potential lethality for a lot lower yield of explosives than a car bomb.

Of course, there's always the problem that when you make one type of tactic tougher to pull off, you make another one more attractive.
                When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Flandrien
                  Pretty soon, I will not have just any ID card, I will have a MICROSOFT (R) ID card !
                  I can smell errors from miles away here...
                  "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                  "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Suicide bombers. In most cases, they would have a higher potential lethality for a lot lower yield of explosives than a car bomb.

Of course, there's always the problem that when you make one type of tactic tougher to pull off, you make another one more attractive.
                    You might as well enter a crowded bar/theatre/... and blow youself up. If you want to make a lot of casualties, nothing is going to stop you. The fact that this does not happen 'en masse' shows that suicide bombing isn't all that popular anyway.
                    "An archaeologist is the best husband a women can have; the older she gets, the more interested he is in her." - Agatha Christie
                    "Non mortem timemus, sed cogitationem mortis." - Seneca

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

No... you are. Please show me where they are saying that the govenement is compelling us to carry a government issued i.d. card. Yeah, if you want to enter a governement building or travel, you need to have one... not the same thing.

I was talking about British proposals to bring in an identification card which had to be carried on the person at all times.

Not much point bringing in a government i.d. card if it's optional, is it ?

"Oh no, officer, I didn't feel like carrying it today, I have a headache."

"Oh that's perfectly all right, Mr Would Be Terrorist. But in future, if you're planning a terrorist atrocity, the government would be quite pleased if you could show your optional government i.d. card to any member of a branch of the security forces who happens to be located conveniently close to your secret hideout."

"How about my voluntarily carried Visa card that's in an assumed name ? Will that do ?"

Et cetera... et cetera....
                      Last edited by molly bloom; May 27, 2005, 05:21.
                      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Comment

I think mandatory ID on trains is a good idea. I highly doubt any Terrorists™ could get such identification, and it is therefore an effective measure to keep trains safe from exploding persons
                          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Originally posted by Immortal Wombat
                            I think mandatory ID on trains is a good idea. I highly doubt any Terrorists™ could get such identification, and it is therefore an effective measure to keep trains safe from exploding persons

I think people are more likely to explode out of frustration at the poor performance of privatized railway companies.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

If every citizen and legal alien hasone then it shouldn't be hard to get one. You just use an agent who's legally in the country or better yet steal someone elses and swipe the card as you enter the train. Unless it does eye scans or something then anyone can use it.

Comment

If every citizen and legal alien hasone then it shouldn't be hard to get one. You just use an agent who's legally in the country or better yet steal someone elses and swipe the card as you enter the train. Unless it does eye scans or something then anyone can use it.

Are you suggesting that terrorists and criminals are dishonest, tricky and disingenuous ?

That ordinary people are open to bribery, or companies can be infiltrated ?

You take that right back.

Comment

Working...
                                X