Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nazi help Brits find morality again?

Nazi case may open door for Elgin Marbles' return

A British court case over art looted by the Nazis could pave the way for Britain to return Greece's Elgin Marbles, whose ownership the two countries have long disputed.

Britain's Attorney-General, Lord Peter Goldsmith, has asked the High Court to establish whether the British Museum - home to treasures like the Marbles and the Rosetta Stone - has a moral duty to return property obtained improperly.

The museum wants to return four Old Master drawings stolen by the Nazis from a Jewish collector in the 1930s but British law prevents it disposing of anything in its vast collection.

If the court rules that Lord Goldsmith - the Government's top legal advisor - can give his permission for the works to be returned, it could prompt demands for the museum to hand back other works.

"It would allow them to return any items in their collection if they thought there was a moral obligation to do so," said a spokesman for the Attorney-General's office.

But final permission for any works to leave the country would always lie with the Attorney-General, he added. Lord Goldsmith has reserved judgment on whether he will allow the Old Masters to be returned once the High Court has made its ruling.

The Elgin Marbles, a series of statues and fragments, were removed from the Parthenon in Athens by British ambassador Lord Elgin in the early 19th century and sold to the British museum.

Greece has demanded them back almost ever since, most recently for last Summer's Olympic Games.

The museum said at the time that returning the friezes would rip the heart out of a collection that tells the story of human civilisation.

Co-Founder, Apolyton Civilization Site
    Co-Owner/Webmaster, Top40-Charts.com | CTO, Apogee Information Systems
    giannopoulos.info: my non-mobile non-photo news & articles blog

I'm a Brit (dual nationality) and a student of Classical Greek.

They're yours and it is a disgrace that they have not been returned.
    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Are those works on display?
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
        I'm a Brit (dual nationality) and a student of Classical Greek.

They're yours and it is a disgrace that they have not been returned.

Comment

Re: Nazi help Brits find morality again?

Originally posted by MarkG
          Nazi case may open door for Elgin Marbles' return

A British court case over art looted by the Nazis could pave the way for Britain to return Greece's Elgin Marbles, whose ownership the two countries have long disputed.

Britain's Attorney-General, Lord Peter Goldsmith, has asked the High Court to establish whether the British Museum - home to treasures like the Marbles and the Rosetta Stone - has a moral duty to return property obtained improperly.

The museum wants to return four Old Master drawings stolen by the Nazis from a Jewish collector in the 1930s but British law prevents it disposing of anything in its vast collection.

If the court rules that Lord Goldsmith - the Government's top legal advisor - can give his permission for the works to be returned, it could prompt demands for the museum to hand back other works.

"It would allow them to return any items in their collection if they thought there was a moral obligation to do so," said a spokesman for the Attorney-General's office.

But final permission for any works to leave the country would always lie with the Attorney-General, he added. Lord Goldsmith has reserved judgment on whether he will allow the Old Masters to be returned once the High Court has made its ruling.

The Elgin Marbles, a series of statues and fragments, were removed from the Parthenon in Athens by British ambassador Lord Elgin in the early 19th century and sold to the British museum.

Greece has demanded them back almost ever since, most recently for last Summer's Olympic Games.

The museum said at the time that returning the friezes would rip the heart out of a collection that tells the story of human civilisation.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems...5/s1377111.htm
          Well, if you heathen savages could be trusted to properly care for your cultural legacy, the Brits wouldn't have needed to steal it from you in the first place. You should be thankful for all they've done.
          When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
            yes, the british museum gets tons of cash every year due to their display

they even rent the section where they are displayed for parties (sorry, social events)

Comment

Should it matter? The Elgin Marbles should be on display in Athens, where they belong.

The Brits are always doing this. Some of the local Maoris in NZ had a tough time getting back the shrunken heads of their ancestors – the Poms are so shameless that they'll gripe about keeping someone's dead grandpa.
              Only feebs vote.

Comment

What about all the Egyptian artifacts?
                Monkey!!!

Comment

Re: Re: Nazi help Brits find morality again?

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat
                  Well, if you heathen savages could be trusted to properly care for your cultural legacy, the Brits wouldn't have needed to steal it from you in the first place. You should be thankful for all they've done.
                  we've got plenty of people to play the troll michael

btw, what the thieves left are in better state

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                    I'm a Brit (dual nationality)
                    the Poms are so shameless that they'll gripe about keeping someone's dead grandpa.
                    You have been reported.
                    Call to Power 2: Apolyton Edition - download the latest version (12th June 2011)
                    CtP2 AE Wiki & Modding Reference
                    One way to compile the CtP2 Source Code.

Comment

Originally posted by Japher
                      [british museum]they still 've got the pyramids, what more do they need?[/british museum]

Comment

ditto. They belong to the Egyptians. How would you feel if someone ripped off your stuff and took it to England.

Every nation should have the first option on its own cultural treasures. The only situation where this should not hold is when it would damage the treasures in question, and that is a question to be decided by UNESCO or some other impartial organization.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Wouldn't having all those things back just be a constant reminder of how pathetic you (Greece) have become?

Comment

@Verto

I think the decision is up to the Brits, and I think it would a nice gesture, but I would get all steamed if they don't.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

I'm British full nationality and it is a disgrace these have not yet been returned. Any excuse for having them ended in 1945

Comment

Working...
                              X