Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liberalism Destroys Families?

Lets see if liberalism destroys families:

1) Social Security - old folk no longer need the kids, and the kids get to go off on their own. Sounds good for both perhaps until the kids start having children and the old folk aren't there to help raise them. "It takes a village" begins with a family clan, and trust me, old folk ain't looking forward to a rest home now that the government is taking care of them (or preserved their freedom according to the left).

2) Welfare - who could argue with that? Help the poor, no different than giving money to a charity. Uh oh, out of wedlock birthrates skyrocket because government has taken over the father's role as provider.

3) Women's "liberation" - Mommy wants a career, honey, so here's your nanny or child care expert. They'll watch you until school starts. Is this the origin of "Latchkey Kids?

4) High taxation - gotta have it to pay for all this progress. But thats okay, we now have millions of mommies with careers to help pay for it all. Of course, the high taxation "coerced" millions of mothers into employment to pay the father's high taxes. Now they need child care too, parenting is increasingly shared with paid strangers.

5) Divorce - I suspect rates have gone up too because of this breakdown in the family. It seems logical divorce rates would be lower in tightly knit family clans where relatives can ease married couples thru troubled times. Virtually all cultures understand the importance of the newlyweds going to join one side of the family and not off on their own.

Was all this a predictable result of liberalism?

I've tried to present what I think is the socially conservative set of arguments since they are under-represented here at Poly. The evidence is rather damning...

8/10
    ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Re: Liberalism Destroys Families?

Originally posted by Berzerker

5) Divorce - I suspect rates have gone up too because of this breakdown in the family. It seems logical divorce rates would be lower in tightly knit family clans where relatives can ease married couples thru troubled times. Virtually all cultures understand the importance of the newlyweds going to join one side of the family and not off on their own.

Ah yes, divorce, part of those well known liberal plots, Judaism, Islam and Protestantism, most notably used in England by that famous 'liberal' Henry VIII .
      Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Good family values.. I think no one owns them.

Then again, the family unit never really existed now did it.

Then again, there's no recipe for a family.

Then again, I do like the traditional family thing and wish to have one myself and hopefully establish a working unit.
        In da butt.
        "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
        THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
        "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Then again, stop ruining his beautiful troll!
          ~ If Tehben spits eggs at you, jump on them and throw them back. ~ Eventis ~ Eventis Dungeons & Dragons 6th Age Campaign: Chapter 1, Chapter 2, Chapter 3, Chapter 4: (Unspeakable) Horror on the Hill ~

Comment

Ah yes, divorce, part of those well known liberal plots, Judaism, Islam and Protestantism, most notably used in England by that famous 'liberal' Henry VIII .
            Where did I say divorce was a liberal plot?

1/10 for your strawman

Comment

Where did I say divorce was a liberal plot?

1/10 for your strawman

Oh thanks, I'll only spend that point on crack, and neglect my 5 children from three divorces, due to my liberal tendencies.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

Aaaaargh! I'm agreeing with some of what berzerker says!

*bashes head into wall*

Really tight-knit extended families are wonderful things to see in action. I never really had one at home and its been really interesting to start being inducted into one here in Korea...
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Henry VIII - Using royalty to defend the welfare state is rather bizarre, wouldn't you say? You were trying to refute one or more of the opening arguments, true?

Comment

Henry VIII - Using royalty to defend the welfare state is rather bizarre, wouldn't you say? You were trying to refute one or more of the opening arguments, true?

I think it's more bizarre associating divorce with liberalism, and not bothering to place divorce in context or in fact defining 'liberalism'.

But then I don't expect the quotidian from you, and I didn't defend the Welfare State with Henry VIII.

Comment

3) Women's "liberation" - Mommy wants a career, honey, so here's your nanny or child care expert. They'll watch you until school starts. Is this the origin of "Latchkey Kids?

Or how about the basic reality that families could no longer live off of one person's income for quite some time now.

You really outta catch up with the times, man.
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

1) Social Security - old folk no longer need the kids, and the kids get to go off on their own. Sounds good for both perhaps until the kids start having children and the old folk aren't there to help raise them. "It takes a village" begins with a family clan, and trust me, old folk ain't looking forward to a rest home now that the government is taking care of them (or preserved their freedom according to the left).

2) Welfare - who could argue with that? Help the poor, no different than giving money to a charity. Uh oh, out of wedlock birthrates skyrocket because government has taken over the father's role as provider.

4) High taxation - gotta have it to pay for all this progress. But thats okay, we now have millions of mommies with careers to help pay for it all. Of course, the high taxation "coerced" millions of mothers into employment to pay the father's high taxes. Now they need child care too, parenting is increasingly shared with paid strangers.

Was all this a predictable result of liberalism?

I've tried to present what I think is the socially conservative set of arguments since they are under-represented here at Poly. The evidence is rather damning...
                        You're just trying to justify your greed, this is just absolute BS.

Comment

I can hear a sound. Sounds like the bottoms of barrels being scraped
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh
                            Aaaaargh! I'm agreeing with some of what berzerker says!

*bashes head into wall*

Really tight-knit extended families are wonderful things to see in action. I never really had one at home and its been really interesting to start being inducted into one here in Korea...
                            And then you'll start seeing the dark side of things.
                            Visit First Cultural Industries
                            There are reasons why I believe mankind should live in cities and let nature reclaim all the villages with the exception of a few we keep on display as horrific reminders of rural life.-Starchild
                            Meat eating and the dominance and force projected over animals that is acompanies it is a gateway or parallel to other prejudiced beliefs such as classism, misogyny, and even racism. -General Ludd

Comment

High taxation - gotta have it to pay for all this progress. But thats okay, we now have millions of mommies with careers to help pay for it all. Of course, the high taxation "coerced" millions of mothers into employment to pay the father's high taxes. Now they need child care too, parenting is increasingly shared with paid strangers.

In regards to this, I would counter-argue that the reason so many parents "have" to have two careers is their inability to "suffer" a decrease in their standard of living just for the sake of a child.

Comment

Working...
                              X