No announcement yet.

10 most leftish posters of Poly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The only point you have made is that the current government of the PRC has strayed from the Little Red Book... a little bit.
    A little bit? Go to Shanghai. McDonald's all over the place, a real estate speculation boom, insurance companies by the dozen, foreign investors by the truckload, stock exchanges. A little bit??! What?!?!?

They are still the same people, by and large, who thought a cultural revolution was a good thing
    Not at all. The cultural revolution are largely people that were wacked around during the cultural revolution, not the Red Guard types. Basically Mao thought that the bureaucracy had gotten to cautious, entrenched and not communist enough and launched the Cultural Revolution as a way of lighting a fire under the bureaucracy's ass and stirring things up (something that the bureaucracy did not appreciate very much). The current Chinese government is the heirs of the bureaucrats who reasserted their power, got rid of the Gang of Four and disbanded the Red Gaurds, not the Red Guards who were ****ing **** up. This doesn't make the current leadership good people, but linking them to the Cultural Revolution is laughable.

Land is still owned only by the state.
    This is specifically communist how?

Dissent is still crushed.
    This is specifically communist how?

If you are trying to argue that things have changed in a permanent and material way, you have not made the case.
    The repressive government apparatus is still in place, but while communist governments are all repressive dictatorships, being a repressive dictatorship hardly makes a country communist.

Also in many many ways the PRC is far to the right of Europe and even the US (crime and punishment, cultural policies, gay rights, environment, workplace safety regulations, labor rights, the list goes on and on and on).

No, but I am saying that about a particular system where the peasants CAN'T own the land.
    I don't understand what point you are making here.
    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• And I expect that you'd have me believe that this is a scene from a typical communist city
      Attached Files
      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosh
        And I expect that you'd have me believe that this is a scene from a typical communist city
        Commies in denial.
        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
        2004 Presidential Candidate
        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

• Originally posted by Vince278

Commies in denial.
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosh

Mao et al are a whole other story and I'm not really interested in the interminable debate about wether they were true communists or not. HOWEVER, you'd have to be insane to argue that the PRC IN ITS CURRENT INCARNATION is communist or even leftist. In fact the PRC, as it exists today, is probably one of the least leftist countries around. Thus I find it very very strange that people seem to think that supporters of the current PRC goverment (like UR) are leftist.
            Baffles me too. UR has espoused quite a few opinions that are directly contradictory to what the CCP does and believes in, yet he supports that government wholly and hops on every anti-American thread he can get.
            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

• You know what I see? I see that the legacy of McCarthy and Reagan still live strongly in certain individuals. Even the very mention of the word 'communism' can induce a rabid foam in the mouth of certain individuals who won't argue about the issue but just hiss and spit. It's rather alarming...
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• You know what I see? I see that the legacy of Stalin and Mao still live strongly in certain individuals. Even the very mention of the word 'capitalism' can induce a rabid foam in the mouth of certain individuals who won't argue about the issue but just hiss and spit. It's rather alarming...

Comment

• Wow, John, you're so clever, can I be your apprentice?
                  Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

Not leftists in the least? Really? Well then why don't you answer the issue of why the peasants do not own their own land?

What does leftism have to do with depriving lower classes of property ownership?
                    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

• PH & JT. You're both right.
                      One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by notyoueither

Ahh, the familiar refrains of the lament for wasted dreams and scorched chances that communists are so fond of...

'No siree, neither the USSR nor the PRC are, nor ever were communist. You'll have to give us another chance to introduce gulags and cultural revolutions to see what we are REALLY capable of!'

Forgive me if I do not line up to buy a ticket.
                        Is the Ivory Coast capitalist? Ukraine?
                        Last edited by Fake Boris; May 21, 2005, 09:19.
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• I don't think Zimbabwe is strictly a good one to pick at this point mate
                          Speaking of Erith:

Comment

• my first DanS ever.
                            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison
                              Wow, John, you're so clever, can I be your apprentice?
                              One blind stereotype deserves another, dontcha think?

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnT

One blind stereotype deserves another, dontcha think?
                                An observation of behaviour, not a stereotype...besides how can it be a stereotype when I referred to 'certain individuals'. I think you ought to choose your words more carefully...
                                Speaking of Erith:

Comment

Working...
                                X