Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Americans, are you still proud of your soldiers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lord of the mark

I was rather more impressed that they did something to Pappas, than that they demoted Karpinski. Karpinski was a reserve General, a woman, and had scapegoat written all over. Pappas was not only an active, but was in the Intell chain of command.
    Karpinski may have been a reservist and woman, but there is a higher standard expected from generals. Even if it was "only" a question of dereliction of duty rather than active participation, Pappas and Karpinski were doomed. Brigade commands outside the regular combat divisions are independent commands, so there's no tolerance for failure of leadership.
    When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
      You mean like the way a BG was demoted and relieved of command, and a Colonel was relieved of command (both career ending moves), even though it was clear that neither ordered nor authorized the activities at Abu Ghraib? They were relieved for dereliction of duty.

I'd love to see Rumsfeld in the Federal PITA prison. Everyone knows who's responsible. It's a pity a Georgian couldn't throw a bit straighter or one of them might have got his just deserts.
      Yeah, yeah, yeah. Everyone knows, blah blah blah.

I'm no fan of Rummy, in fact, I can't stand the ignorant, arrogant, smug c*cks*ck*r, but orders don't magically migrate from SecDef down 10 levels of the chain of command, nor does someone at Rummy's level spend more than about 30 seconds on trivial crap like details of prisoner handling in country. Gitmo is a different thing, the transfer and long-term detention of those prisoners there is part of a high-level policy process. Micromanagement of activities at Bagram and Abu Ghraib isn't.
      Last edited by MichaeltheGreat; May 20, 2005, 16:16.
      When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

I'm proud of our soldiers. The whole dulce et decorum est pro patri mori stuff. We're just not killing them fast enough! 4 more wars!

===

Seriously, yeah, this sucks. But mention this to John and Jane Gothic, in middle America, and you'll have a few nervous looks your way before they change the topic to how well the corn is growing, and questions why liberals like you, Tingkai, hate America.
        B♭3

Comment

Whoa. America, the chosen people.

No need to be jealous. You can immigrate, my friend.

BTW, I can't believe some of you actually read a Tingkai post. What were you thinking?
          KH FOR OWNER!
          ASHER FOR CEO!!
          GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin

I frequently leave the toilet seat up and sometimes... I even use the last of the toilet paper without replacing it. I've been told that's wrong but I do it any way.
            The crucial question is though, did you do these things to prisoners of war? If so you need to find yourself a good lawyer.
            "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

Originally posted by MichaeltheGreat

Why should we be? Compared to the widespread, systematic atrocities of the Taleban and Saddamite regimes, which directed and approved the atrocities committed by their forces, we have a few dozen individuals who violated standing orders and policy, and we are systematically investigating, charging, and prosecuting them.

Those few dozen are among several hundred thousand who have served in Iraq and Afghanistan, and they are being processed by the US military legal system.

You can ***** and whine about an investigating board recommending prosecution back in October and 7 of 27 being charged by May, but that's standard judicial and prosecutorial process. An investigating board's recommendation doesn't rely on the same level or standard of evidence needed to commence a General Court Martial prosecution under the UCMJ and the procedural requirements of the MCM. The pace and requirements are not a lot different in the US military legal system than they are with common criminals in the US Federal and state civilian criminal justice systems.
              Your whole argument is we shouldn't be upset because somebody else did something much worse?
              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
                BTW, I can't believe some of you actually read a Tingkai post. What were you thinking?
                Does he have a history of being a troll?
                "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker

Your whole argument is we shouldn't be upset because somebody else did something much worse?
                  Nope. You should be upset about those few that can't figure out how to act, but not say that it is the standard for all.
                  With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

First of all, DUH

I already know it is a particular group of people (although on multiple occasions and not just this one particular incident) who are doing it.

Nobody here (at least not me) is claiming this is the "standard for all." DUH

SECONDLY, when the President issues a memo that throws out the Geneva Conventions, that directly sets up situations like this to occur. "Oh, they don't matter, they are ENEMY COMBATANTS. Or, at least close enough."
                    We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

I don't see a reason why someone would be proud of the troops and now somehow throw it in the trash. These are again, individuals who have done some evil things, and they still are the minority. The Army does not want this kind of PR for sures, it makes the fight so much more difficult when you have to persuade people to like the US, and then this kind of **** happens. It's definitely not worth it, and this kind of crap gives birth to a new patch of terrorists every time, that attack and maim people around the world.

So it would not be logical for the Army to even want this. So this is a case of sick bastards living their own little fantasy world, where the POWs are animals, terrorists, definitely not equal humans, and thus they can be submitted to such treatment. These people should go to jail for a long long long time and if there's a heaven, they won't be the biggest candidates. Torturing POWs, no matter who they are, is totally crap, and like this article proposes, out of their own will, just to have fun? Trust me, these people do not have a future, and even if they get out of the charges, they still have no future. These kind of people don't make it. They are losers. They will always be nothing but scum, and they will be remembered as ones, and they definitely are no heroes of anyone, so they deserve everything that is coming for them.

However, US troops

sick torturing ******* individuals
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Gitmo is a different thing, the transfer and long-term detention of those prisoners there is part of a high-level policy process.

I wasn't excluding that. Send him to the PITA prison.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

I think Americans were more outraged by Martha Stewart than they have been of these torture scandals.

Comment

Originally posted by Ted Striker
                            First of all, DUH
                            Hadn't expected otherwise from you - guess that it's your standard defense.

I already know it is a particular group of people (although on multiple occasions and not just this one particular incident) who are doing it.
                            Are you saying that it is deliberately that they have done it ?

Nobody here (at least not me) is claiming this is the "standard for all." DUH
                            isn't that the whole purpose of this thread ? and don't you support this ?

SECONDLY, when the President issues a memo that throws out the Geneva Conventions, that directly sets up situations like this to occur. "Oh, they don't matter, they are ENEMY COMBATANTS. Or, at least close enough."
                            When did that happen ? If that should be a fact, how come that there are people at court because they has apparently broken the Geneva Conventions ?
                            With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

What has Martha Stewart done?
                              "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                              "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                              "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Tortured some egg rolls. It wasn't pretty.

Comment

Working...
                                X