Violations of Air Space.. how common?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Pekka
    Then again, history shows us that they will shoot down their own plane just to claim we did it.
    I should have thought of that. I believe if things do escalate out of control the West (and about everyone else) will stand with Finland.
    "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
    "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
    2004 Presidential Candidate
    2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Well, fortunately it won't come to that, or at least this is not why it would come to that. YOu never know, but then again, this is perfectly normal behaviour from them so .. and not just them, others do it too.

Except if I get myself to some of them AA-missiles.. it's coming down!
      In da butt.
      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

They do this to Finland because Finland doesn't shoot the damned Rooskies down. Finland is part of the EU? Did they ever join NATO? They do these things and it's 'fire away' time.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
          Except if I get myself to some of them AA-missiles.. it's coming down!
          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)

Comment

Shoot down those Russian ass-holes.

Comment

yees! you guys are whipping me into a frenzy of shoot-the-planes-down!
              In da butt.
              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius

Comment

Comment

Austrian Airspace has been violated by Americans shamelessly in all kinds of wars since the Gulf War.
                  And the Yugoslavian airforce decided to fly above our heads after we were the first to recognize Slovenia and Croatia as independant nations...
                  "The world is too small in Vorarlberg". Austrian ex-vice-chancellor Hubert Gorbach in a letter to Alistar [sic] Darling, looking for a job...
                  "Let me break this down for you, fresh from algebra II. A 95% chance to win 5 times means a (95*5) chance to win = 475% chance to win." Wiglaf, Court jester or hayseed, you judge.

Comment

Originally posted by Wernazuma III
                    Austrian Airspace has been violated by Americans shamelessly in all kinds of wars since the Gulf War.
                    Got news for you - My first time was in 1984 (though I was under the impression I had transit rights ).
                    A certain lady's "airspace" near Vienna took another year (I'm sure I had transit rights there too ).

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278
                      Shoot them down. They can't argue about wreckage 10 miles inside your own territory. You were already being a good neighbor by giving them warnings. The best way to handle Russia is to treat them like a spoiled child.
                      I think we should take this advice and use it for handeling american planes as well....
                      You can't really argue about wreckage 10 miles inside our territory
                      Last edited by Atahualpa; May 22, 2005, 09:52.

Comment

You just try

Comment

Doesn't both Turkey and Greece have F-16's? Does that mean that there are F-16 virtual dogfights over the Aegen? Holy crap! Why isn't this type of stuff in the news....one would think that someone would snap a picture of stuff like this.
                          Of course this is in the news! From time to time, our airforce is releasing some video footage from inside our fighter's cockpit, during the dogfight. You can then clearly hear the pilots swearing with very foul language.
                          "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act."
                          George Orwell

Comment

Okay, I'm very interested now. I did some googling on "Greek Air Force", "Hellenic Air Force", etc. but I could not find anything about dogfights with Turkish jets.

You wouldn't have a link there, would ya?
                            Haven't been here for ages....

Comment

shogun gunner, there might be none. If you wanted to find out about violations to our airspace, you would find only this article, and nothing else, nothing from decades of violations, even though it's common knowledge in here.

And this only came this public because someone leaked it to the press. One might say, well this might have something to do with the NATO vote, someone trying to persuade people to want us to join NATO, of course it's possible. But since FM says this is the most active times (2005) of violations, it could be for another reason as well. I don't know.. keep your eyes open I guess.
                              In da butt.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Are they spy planes?

You missed the point entirely. The point was whether you (or the US government) would like it if another country constantly spies on you.
                                In the old days, the Soviets flew as many probing in our airspace as we did theirs. They shot several of ours down, but we did not shoot their down.

Comment

Working...
                                X