Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finance Gurus - help me decode this line from a news report...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finance Gurus - help me decode this line from a news report...

Yell Group PLC (English) company bought out TransWestern Publishing (American) in our industry. In an article about how the Brits overpaid by 200+ million pounds, the following sentence appears:

Yell trades on 13.3x 05 EP/FCF at a discount to directories peers on 14.9x, and to pan-European media on 18.9x.

What am I missing? Here's how I read it:

"Yell trades at 13.3X 2005 Earnings Per/Free Cash Flow..."

Perhaps I'm stupid (always a strong possibility), perhaps it's a typo, but I'm just not getting this formulation. "Earnings Per Free Cash Flow?" Are they implying that the FCF figure is on a per/share basis?

Thanks!

Why would the do a "Earning Per/" when the "/" is the "Per"?

Not that I get it... and maybe Per = Percentage

eh?

Maybe it's an "Earning Percentage" per "Free Cash Flow"
    Monkey!!!

Comment

I've seen some reports that have the abbreviation EP/S when discussing Earnings Per Share... you're right, the "per" coupled with the "/" doesn't make sense. But I have seen it, which could be the source of my confusion in the OP.

Comment

I think there's some hidden message in it, maybe for terrorists or worse.
        Blah

Comment

It's a message from the Tri-Lateral Commission, by way of the Bilderberg Group, to the Illuminati!

Fnord!

Comment

If we are able to decode it, we can rule Teh Universe!!!
            Blah

Comment

I'll just take this little blue planet over here, if you don't mind. Thanks!

Comment

You mean that one that's blocking my view of Saturn!?
                Monkey!!!

Comment

I think the finance gurus aren't responding because they want to decode the truth for themselves only
                  Blah

Comment

Comment

Yell trades on 13.3x 05 EP/FCF at a discount to directories peers on 14.9x, and to pan-European media on 18.9x.
                      Yell trades at 13.3 times 2005 equity (?) price/free cash flow, a slight discount to its directories peers who are at 14.9 times and to its pan-European media peers who are at 18.9 times.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Are you assuming that the "E" stands for "Equity"?

That does make more sense... I think. Is it a common formulation (I'm thinking not, but...)?

Comment

Nay mind
                          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Not sure whether it's a common formulation.
                            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

EP = Estimated Profits?

It's an odd one, I haven't seen that notation before.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

Working...
                              X