• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abstinence speaker tells kids 'condoms cause cancer'

Wednesday, May 11, 2005
    Abstinence speaker pushed religion in school, dad charges
    By GAIL SCHONTZLER, Chronicle Staff Writer
    Bozeman,Montana

An irate father is demanding that Bozeman High School present students with a rebuttal to what he called "extremely biased religious dogma" delivered by an assembly speaker who warned teens against the dangers of drugs, drinking and premarital sex.

Tom Wells, a Bozeman attorney and father of a ninth-grader, told the School Board on Monday night that he was appalled by the "thinly veiled ministry" and "misinformation" presented the week before by speaker Tina Marie Holewinski.

Holewinski, 27, of Hollywood, Calif., a full-time speaker with an organization called True Lies, defended her talk Tuesday as full of "hard-core facts" that could save teenagers' lives.

~snip~

Wells demanded the school give equal time to rebut the "misinformation" his son heard: that condoms lead to cancer, that birth control pills are only 20 percent effective, that sexually transmitted diseases are spread by skin contact alone, that third-trimester fetuses can be aborted, that video games lead to homicide, that human papilloma virus can be transferred through condoms and that teens can achieve "second virginity" through abstinence.

~snip~

This is the type of crap that drives me up the wall. Unable to make a real case for their "abstence only education" Christian fundimentalists lie, lie, lie to teens in order to scare them into doing as they're told. Studies have shown the kids go out and have sex any way at the same rate but now they don't know a thing about safe sex, stopping pregnancy, or preventing diseases. If there is a hell then people who tell these lies should burn in it.
    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Re: condoms cause cancer

One less thing for most OT'ers to worry about.

Comment

I wonder if you could sue a school for lying to your kids.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

lets see... cancer is something that grows on you, eats at you life and your soul, draining you off all that you are worth until the day you die...

last time I didn't use a condom wifey got pregers...

kids are cancer

Monkey!!!

Comment

"second virginity"

What the ****?
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Wells demanded the school give equal time to rebut the "misinformation" his son heard: that condoms lead to cancer, that birth control pills are only 20 percent effective, that sexually transmitted diseases are spread by skin contact alone, that third-trimester fetuses can be aborted, that video games lead to homicide, that human papilloma virus can be transferred through condoms and that teens can achieve "second virginity" through abstinence.

Wow

I wasn't aware that schools were supposed to teach lies in a democratic country.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

i remember the sexual education lesson and the demonstration on how to use the condom... half of the class was giggleing (and wouldnt need that info for a loooong time ) and the other half was yawning

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh

What the ****?
                That's a popular term among the crazed but saved types. They try to scare teens who've had sex into not having sex then they extract abstence pledges and declare the teens are once again virgins. These people are just nuts.
                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Of course they might cause cancer....if he tried to eat them....
                  Blah

Comment

Holewinski, 27, of Hollywood, Calif., a full-time speaker with an organization called True Lies

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the name of her organization yet... One could say "truth in advertising", because she is telling A BUNCH OF THEM
                    Keep on Civin'
                    RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Ooooh boy, I live right by this high school.

I'll keep my eye on what happens from this. Should be interesting.

Comment

And people think that it is somehow wrong to suppress speech.
                        Only feebs vote.

Comment

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

What do you do in a society when the vast majority of what passes as public discourse is BS.

A guy (one of us actually) just wrote a book about this. He was on 60 Minutes last night.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Er, I thought third-trimester fetuses could in fact be aborted in the US, as RvW theoretically forbids 3T abortions but gives the mother the option of aborting at any time for her health, including her "mental health." Not trying to threadjack, but that one snippet of hers in fact appears to be accurate. The rest, of course, is patently nonsense...
                              1011 1100
                              Pyrebound--a free online serial fantasy novel

Comment

Working...
                              X