chronic router problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
    It hasn't crashed again yet. It's a little warm. And I'm not sure how to check the firmware.
    Go to the router settings - 192.168.1.1, and click "Status". The info on your firmware version will be there.
    In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Do you have wireless phones? Are they working at a 2.4GHz frequency?

Yes, I don't know. They spend most of the time in the receiver though.

Also check if it's close to an electrical box - even more if you say it's in the basement. The magnetic field can affect your router.

It's within a foot or two of two laptops (both of which are usually off) and our cable modem.

You might also want to try putting the router upstairs, I've heard that it's better for the signal.

Then we'd have to run a wire from our cable modem upstairs to the router :meh:

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        It's within a foot or two of two laptops (both of which are usually off) and our cable modem.
        I mean the big box with breakers and all. Keep your router away from it - we're talking 20+ feet here.
        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Ah, yes, it's far away from that.

Comment

It's in a big room in our basement, in the open.
            Damn, see how rich Kuci is!? He has a basement!

Just kidding (well, not really, it's just that nowhere around here or probably in a lot of the South has a basement). Seriously, firmware update, improve the heat ventilation a little if you can (just put a fan behind it or something), and if none of it works send it back and say it doesn't work and/or get a new one.
            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

Damn, see how rich Kuci is!? He has a basement!

Just kidding (well, not really, it's just that nowhere around here or probably in a lot of the South has a basement).
              Yeah. You can't build houses without a basement anywhere the ground freezes. You need to put the foundation below the frost line. In Montreal, for example, that's about 1.25 metres below ground level.
              12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
              Stadtluft Macht Frei
              Killing it is the new killing it
              Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

nm

Comment

What usually works well against the heat problem is an old Pentium heatsink

Comment

Working...
                  X