Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why?

Also Pekka, check this out

Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Why?

I don't have the time to go into all the reasons.
      KH FOR OWNER!
      ASHER FOR CEO!!
      GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

So, just name a few then?
        Que l’Univers n’est qu’un défaut dans la pureté de Non-être.

- Paul Valery

Comment

Che. I had a whole post ready to go, but it got eaten. Since I don't have time to repost it all, I'll just point out a bit and come back tonight for more.

Here's a Quick and Dirty guide to Japanese grammar.

If you just want to concentrate on spoken, check out the Pimsleur Japanese series.

Kana -- hiragana and katakana -- is pretty simple to learn by yourself. Stroke order and direction is important, so make sure whatever you use to learn it includes those.

The vowels probably won't be the problem. Westerners (of various languages) seem to have the most difficulty with tsu.

More later.

Wraith
          "Doujinshi, kirai, atsui, kusai, urusai, Kazuki, baka."
          -- Takasei Mizuki ("Comic Party")

Comment

Ah, baka. One word I know the meaning of. Thanks to Asuka Langley Soryu.
            I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
              I want to learn some basic Japanese
              Just turn off the sound in your player, problem solved.

Comment

We can stick with Chinese.

Nimen hao, pengyoumen.

Comment

Gottverdammt. I just got out of Japanese finals for the year. I never want to see the "no yoo ni" construction ever again.

About baka, the word everyone seems to know: the kanji for it are the ones meaning horse and deer. The explanation given to me is that a baka is someone who can't tell the difference between a horse and a deer, thus, an idiot.
                  Lime roots and treachery!
                  "Eventually you're left with a bunch of unmemorable posters like Cyclotron, pretending that they actually know anything about who they're debating pointless crap with." - Drake Tungsten

Comment

Awesome, awesome.. I'm lost forever now.. found some Japanese internet radios and it's all I hear from now on. Also Japanese art I already know I need some of that stuff to my place.

Thanks for the great links Tattia the Hun, laurentius, Wraith.

yeah I've seen most who recommend first learning kana, and then kanji aftewards. Seems logical, since kanji is massive while hiragana and katakana aren't.

Also I've found it interesting that the grammar is sometimes similar to ours, I mean the logic is easy to understand, for example I saw an example "My name is Randolf Ross" would be english way but Japanese way would be "Am Randolf Ross". as in I am.. but forget the I. This I mean is the logic of some things, which are easy for me to understand because it doesn't require me to learn anything.

Exciting this is!
                    In da butt.
                    "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                    THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                    "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Sorry, most important word is wakarimasen.

doo itashimasite.
                      I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                      I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

doo itashimasite.
                        don't touch my moustache.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Wraith
                          Che.
                          che?
                          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Actually means "You're welcome".
                            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
                            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

--"Thanks to Asuka Langley Soryu."

Now you just need to meet Ruri-Ruri... ^_^

--"che?"

Mild Japanese curse word. I know we've gone over this one before ^_^ Nothing at all to do with the rat-bastard you named yourself after.

Anyway.

Japanese news site in English:
                              Japan Times
                              News on Japan, Business News, Opinion, Sports, Entertainment and More

Actual news site, with some interesting editorials. Watch out for links posted here to WaiWai. People here seem to latch on to those for some reason, and WaiWai is a tabloid.

Jim Breen's WWWJDIC

Online Japanese dictionary.

Joyo96
                              あなたが疑問に思った、知りたい情報を代わりに調べてみた

Kana/Kanji charts and references.

Charles Kelly's Online Japanese Language Study Materials
                              Free Web-Based Japanese Language Study Quizzes, Flashcards and More. Learn Japanese Online. オンラインで使える日本語教材 ケリー先生のオンラインで使える日本語教材

Just what it says.

The Kanji Site

JLPT arranged kanji.

Wraith
                              "Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka! Baka!"
                              -- Tomo ("Azumanga Daioh")

Comment

Recently I've developed an interest in learning written Japanese.

I'm trying to learn the Kanji so that I can buy some import Japanese games and play them.

Does anyone know of a good translator that I can get for my laptop? I'm thinking there has to be a way to type in Japanese words (in Kanji, Hirgana, etc.) and have the computer spit the english translation.
                                signature not visible until patch comes out.

Comment

Working...
                                X