Clear All

Paiktis, Zkrib's Phil pics link.

Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by paiktis22
      what western set?
      we all use the arabic set
      Except the "Arabic numerals" are not Arabic. Traditionally, Arabs use Hindi numberals. The only Arab countries to use western numberals are ones which were latter colonized by the west.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Oops, I was thinking of Duluth.
        Fargo and Duluth are at the same latatude, but Duluth is actually somewhat warmer in the winter because of Lake Superior. It is only places like the Boundary Waters Canoe Area and International Falls where you get Siberia-like conditions and true Taiga (as opposed to the mixed forests with all the White Pine and Sugar Maple). Unfortunately, I live in the most boring part of the state, farms, farms, and more farms, where there used to be glorious tall-grass prairie.

Comment

In MN, they have engine heaters to help the cars start up in the winter time. They even have electrical outlets in parking lots to plug in the engine heaters.
          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Originally posted by pchang
            In MN, they have engine heaters to help the cars start up in the winter time. They even have electrical outlets in parking lots to plug in the engine heaters.
            Yep, easier than leaving the car running for 20 minutes waiting for the engine to warm up.

Comment

Originally posted by Odin
              Fargo and Duluth are at the same latatude, but Duluth is actually somewhat warmer in the winter because of Lake Superior.
              Yes, but they dump all their plowed snow in one spot, and the last bit of snow generally doesn't melt until late May, early June.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Yes, but they dump all their plowed snow in one spot, and the last bit of snow generally doesn't melt until late May, early June.
                I've never seen snow on the ground in early June. The latest I ever remember the snow staying was early to mid-May.

Comment

Snow which lasts more then a few days sucks. The newness and novelty wears off after that.

Comment

I'm not concerned... at least I would be able to afford to live
                    Monkey!!!

Comment

• I heard the Twin Cities wasn't all that cheap. $200k or so which is the same nieghborhood as Washington.

Comment

• Better than the +400k here.... and I'll be making the same amount of money, if not more.
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

• I wish I had bought a house back in the 90's. When I was in high school you could buy new houses in San Diego for around $200k but now the average for new houses is around $600k with the total average cost for a single family around $500k. If you average in apartments and town houses then the average is only $400k but most people want single family homes not apartments.

$200k does sound pretty nice. I wonder how expensive it is to live in the suburbs of Chicago? That's a big city with losts of stuff to do and the prices have to be cheaper then the coast.

Comment

• I looked around there, and you can get really nice stuff. I applied for a job outside of CHicago and was happy to see good housing.

THis position that I have next week is in Hutchinson, MN and that's farm country. Wife was hoping to get some acrage as she raised sheep as a kid and would like to again. I'm thinking if we move there I'd try and get some acrage.
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Smiley
                              Yesterday: Berkeley
                              Today: California
                              Tomorrow: Teh world!
                              Bah, we've had made-to-order, fresh sandwiches as fast food for years. I have 3 within 5 minutes walk of me
                              Smile
                              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• Originally posted by Oerdin
                                Then the midwest shall continue to miss out on the tasty treat which is banh mi. Take a French baguette add on spicy marinated grilled pork which has been cut thin as can be then add sweet pickles, and mayonaise/butter, fresh cilantro, and garnish with a bit of fresh graded ginger or garlic. Heavenly and so cheap.
                                Nice Though I'd rather have my freshly grilled marinated chicken, sundried tomato, basil and salad lightly toasted ciabatta anyday.

I Harvey's
                                Smile
                                For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                                But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

Working...
                                X