So Long, and Thanks for all the Burgers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Long, and Thanks for all the Burgers

I can now officially say: it's over. Our father (mine & che's) will be selling off his Burger King stores. Corporate has decided that the ADI-midwest region will be a corporate one and he sold them to corporate. Chances are I will be unemployed at the end of the month. My assistants told me today that they don't want me to go (one said she'd get everyone to go 'on strike' if I left ), but I don't see corp BK wanting to keep around the franchise owner's son. I can't say I'll miss the stress, the thieves, and the whining & complaining but I will miss working with some of those characters and some of our regular customers.

Maybe I'll get decent unemployment.

That is all.
    I'm consitently stupid- Japher
    I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

You'll get roughly 2/3rds your former paycheck or $275 (give or take) a week, whichever's less.

BTW, if you move out of state, they can't make you go to any appointments *hint* *hint.*

I want some Whoppers.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

but I don't see corp BK wanting to keep around the franchise owner's son.

Why not? I'm not too sure what you did, but you have experience, contacts, and a certain familial investment in the stores (even if BK bought you out.)

Comment

BTW, how much did your pop realize?

Is he going to stay in the industry, or is he going to retire?

Don't forget - he can donate $11,000 to each of his children yearly and deduct that from his income come tax time.

Comment

All of his children are grown.
          Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT

Why not? I'm not too sure what you did, but you have experience, contacts, and a certain familial investment in the stores (even if BK bought you out.)
            Let's just say pop didn't hold his tongue about various BK practices in the past and made a few enemies.
            I'm consitently stupid- Japher
            I think that opinion in the United States is decidedly different from the rest of the world because we have a free press -- by free, I mean a virgorously presented right wing point of view on the air and available to all.- Ned

Comment

Good luck in finding new employment Theben!
              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                BTW, how much did your pop realize?
                Not as much as he put back into the business. BK Corp know they have him over the barrel, since he's in bankruptcy. He'll pay off his debts, but he's plowed his salary back into the business for about a decade. I don't think he's recouping his loans to his company, let alone any capital gains. He'll have something to live comfortbly on for a while, but retirement is out.

Comment

Couldn't BK employ you in another store? Hadn't you proved your worth as maanger?
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    All of his children are grown.
                    Which has nothing to do with it.

Comment

Corporate has decided that the ADI-midwest region will be a corporate one
                      How does this kind of thing get decided?

If they've got money to buy out a whole region, why isn't there a store in Camden?
                      meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Or how about in near-north Chicago? Admittedly it's mostly a McD's town, but I work on the mag mile, and there's not a BK anywhere nearby that I know of. Closest one to 60611 zip code is south of the river and a bit west ...

If it's anything like McD's btw, they are choosing to focus on that region because they think it's an important one to the company's image, and corporate tends to feel they can do a better job maintaining image than franchises do (sometimes true, sometimes not).
                        <Reverend> IRC is just multiplayer notepad.
                        I like your SNOOPY POSTER! - While you Wait quote.

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell
                          How does this kind of thing get decided?

If they've got money to buy out a whole region, why isn't there a store in Camden?
                          Because it's a ****hole in the middle of Arkansas?

Comment

Because it's a ****hole in the middle of Arkansas?
                            You don't have to be arrogant just because you have a Burger King right off your driveway and a McDonald's next to the kitchen.

13,000 people in the immediate area and a county population of 30,000 can easily support a Burger King. We used to. And to be honest, the service on every visit was awful. But we still went. And it's not like they've even changed the Burger King since it closed! I think the playplace is still up even. It's just sitting around.

The new KFC is just down the road and it is booming. Ouachita County gained 600 jobs last year. We're a growing place! Come open a restaurant!
                            meet the new boss, same as the old boss

Comment

Originally posted by mrmitchell

You don't have to be arrogant just because you have a Burger King right off your driveway and a McDonald's next to the kitchen.
                              omfg kucipwnage !!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X