Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frist's alma mater stages a filibuster against him!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DinoDoc
    Why are people talking about legislative filibusters as if that is what Frist has in his cross hairs? Why is Ramo so drunk during his exams? The questions just keep coming.

Why are you so obnoxious sometimes? The questions keep coming.
    A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten
      They're probably trying to make a point, DT.

I know they're trying to make a point. I'm just saying that, if CNN's assessment of their motives is correct, the point they are making is stupid and decades out of date.
      If they protested by using a modern filibuster, would anyone have noticed?
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

You know, you don't actually have to act out the procedure you support in order to protest on its behalf. You don't see pro-choice folks out there aborting fetuses for the cameras to draw attention to their cause...
        KH FOR OWNER!
        ASHER FOR CEO!!
        GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

I completely agree with Shi here. Your country put these nutjobs in power. Your country must now deal with the consequences. As long as the Bushies remain within the boundaries of the constitution (especially, as long as the opposition enjoys the same level of democratic rights), the Bushies should be able to freely destroy your country.

To express disagreement in the Parliament and in the media is an excellent thing, essential to a working democracy. However, it's completely antidemocratic to try to precent the elected party from implementing its policies.

Down with filibustering
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Originally posted by DinoDoc
            That puts you in good Democratic company.
            Indeed. And without the blue slip, I wonder what's going to happen the next time a Democrat comes into power and wants to appoint a vast variety of 'liberal' judges.
            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

Spiffor, some of us have to live here.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Indeed. And without the blue slip, I wonder what's going to happen the next time a Democrat comes into power and wants to appoint a vast variety of 'liberal' judges.
                Hopefully, the Republicans will still have a simple majority in the Senate by which they can block them. If the Democrats hold both the Presidency and the Senate, then yes they can go ahead and appoint those liberal judges.
                "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Spiffor, some of us have to live here.

Well, yeah, but when the Dems will finally regain power, they'll want to re-legalize abortion, allow people to use public libraries, lift the martial law, things like that... You can only imagine as their attempts will be filibustered to death
                  "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                  "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                  "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

You say that now, as an abstraction. I'd LOVE to see your view once the pendulum swings and the Democrats are pushing in pro-choice judges by the cartful.
                    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

Again, it's not about pro- or anti-choice judges, but judges who are totally ****ing bonkers. They are the conservative equivalent of the 9th Appelet Court on steroids.

Comment

I'm more then willing to take that risk to get rid of filibustering judicial nominees.

Comment

Personally, I think judicial appointments should require a 2/3rd majority for acceptance. No more extremist judges on any side.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                            Again, it's not about pro- or anti-choice judges, but judges who are totally ****ing bonkers. They are the conservative equivalent of the 9th Appelet Court on steroids.
                            Yeah, that Owen woman in Texas... I read up on her..

Now, I'm a Republican, but Jeez Louise!

Comment

Priscilla Owen is definately the worst of the lot. Most of the rest aren't much better.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                                Personally, I think judicial appointments should require a 2/3rd majority for acceptance. No more extremist judges on any side.
                                You'd never fill a juidical vacancy again. You'd always like have 1/3 +1 of the senate on either side who would block a judicial nominee who leaned the other way, particularly once the abortion issue is considered. If you don't like who is being nominated, change the party in control of the Senate or the Presidency.

Comment

Working...
                                X