Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Frist's alma mater stages a filibuster against him!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frist's alma mater stages a filibuster against him!

This is great... bipartisan as well! Btw, there is no relation between me and another person in the article, just in case it comes up.

PRINCETON, New Jersey -- Princeton University students are showing support for the filibuster by staging their own.

For the last two weeks, students, faculty and congressmen have kept the filibuster going around the clock, reading everything from Einstein's classic papers to the "Q" section of Webster's Collegiate Dictionary.

They're showing support for the practice of speaking for long periods to block pending legislation. Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist, a 1974 Princeton graduate, has threatened to use the "nuclear option," reducing the number of votes needed to stop a filibuster if Democrats use the tactic to try to block some of President Bush's judicial nominees.

The mock filibuster has been going on in front of the Frist Campus Center, which was built with a $25 million donation from the senator's family. Frist's son Harrison is a junior at Princeton.

A showdown over the nominees could come next week, Frist told CNN.

In D.C., protesters plan to filibuster all day Wednesday at the reflecting pool on the Mall and expect to be joined by senators Thursday morning before a press conference.

Democrats and Republicans have used the filibuster in the Senate to slow or derail legislation.

At Princeton, Republicans, Democrats, independents and libertarians have expressed support of the filibuster by taking the microphone, although a group of Republican students protested the filibuster while NBC cameras rolled last week.

"It speaks to underlying democratic values," said Jason Vagliano, a senior from Brookline, Massachusetts. "The essence of it is bipartisan."

The activists have made the exterior of Frist Campus Center look like camp. Filibusterers read in front of or under a large rainbow umbrella, and supporters sit under a blue tent watching and blogging.

FilibusterFrist.com, the student activists' Web site, gives a national audience live footage from the filibuster site through a Webcam, and also provides a blog and tips for starting filibuster protests on other campuses.

Other protests have been organized at Harvard, Stanford, Berkeley, Boston College, Tufts, Yale, University of Texas-Austin, and Carleton College in the past three weeks, though none have lasted as long as the one at Princeton.

At Princeton filibusterers can read, say, or do whatever they want during their allotted time slot, political or not, said organizer Karen Wolfgang, a junior from Portland Oregon. Some, like senior Sarah Barbrow, stuck political commentary into their readings. In her dramatic rendition of the Dr. Seuss story "What Was I Scared Of?" in which the main character is scared of a pair of pants, she put down the book and told the small audience, "These pants are pretty scary, guys. Just like Frist."

Other students have brought original creations. Brad Friedman, a senior in the computer science department, used his study of language modeling to create a unique text merging the Gettysburg Address, the U.S. Constitution, the Declaration of Independence, and former President Clinton's Monica Lewinsky trial testimony.

"Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs" and "Godel's Incompleteness Theorem" were also featured during filibusters.

The protest did not begin with a centralized group of students. While a small core group started with what was to be a 12-hour protest, other students wanted to take the protest overnight, and because there was enough interest, the filibuster continued beyond that. Organizers noted that many coordinators hadn't met each other before the second week, as the movement grew so "organically."

"We really thought it would not go beyond the first day, but so many people wanted to sign up," said Asheeh Siddique, a sophomore organizer from Chevy Chase, Maryland.

Notable appearances have included U.S. Rep. Rush Holt, D-New Jersey, and Frank Pallone Jr., D-New Jersey, and Pennsylvania Senate candidate Chuck Pennachio. Nobel Prize-winning physicist Frank Wilczek also filibustered.

"We're taking the message from Frist's alma mater to his doorstep, and we believe it's critical for American democracy that he hears it," said Ben Strauss, a graduate student organizer.
    “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
    - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Frist's son Harrison is a junior at Princeton.
    Harrison?? What kind of sicko would name their son that? Holy moley, Harrison?!?

Comment

I don't think there is anything wrong with Harrison as a name. Harrison Ford, anyone?
      “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”

Comment

He makes up for it by being a badass.

Han Solo Indiana Jones
        I changed my signature

Comment

Originally posted by Zkribbler
          Harrison?? What kind of sicko would name their son that?
          One called Harry?
          Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
          "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

Bipartisan my butt. If the Democrats were in power and they were going to kill the filibuster to get in "pro-civil rights, pro-gender equality pro-environment" judges that the GOP was blocking, you can bet there would be no such thing happening.
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                Bipartisan my butt. If the Democrats were in power and they were going to kill the filibuster to get in "pro-civil rights, pro-gender equality pro-environment" judges that the GOP was blocking, you can bet there would be no such thing happening.
                Are you disputing that Republicans as well as Democrats are engaging in this anti-filibuster filibuster protest at Princeton University, even though it is stated in the article itself?

Comment

You know, if the Dems would be upfront about this and say that want to keep the filibuster so they can stop pro-life justices from getting in, that would be one thing. But to act like the Filibuster is this sacred American institution which can't be done away with is pure BS. The major accomplishment of the filibuster in American history has been slowing and frustrating the civil rights movement due to filibusters from Southern Democrats. It's a completely undemocratic and extraconstitutional mechanism whereby if one party can just control 41 seats in the Senate that can block anything the majority tries to do. To my knowledge, there is nothing like that in the rest of the Democratic world. And to go on what I was saying before, say the Southerners has been sucsessful in holding up the filibuster against the Civil Rights Act. I wonder if they would still be singing the praises of the filibuster if LBJ's loyalists in the Senate had decided to have a way to get around it or remove the filibuster.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Are you disputing that Republicans as well as Democrats are engaging in this anti-filibuster filibuster protest at Princeton University, even though it is stated in the article itself?
                    I wonder what kind of Republicans would be joining this. I strongly suspect that this filibuster is bipartisan the same way a piece of legislation would be bipartisan if the Republican Party and Zell Miller supported it.

Comment

Are you acting like the filibuster doesn't have a long history and tradition in the American democracy? That's quite foolish.

The Dems didn't try to get rid of it when they were in power. That says something to me, as opposed ot the Republicans who want to destroy Congressional custom because they are in power now.

Comment

Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
                        I wonder what kind of Republicans would be joining this.

You seem to forget that New Jersey Republicans are different than the leaders of the party, just like all NorthEastern Republicans.

Christine Todd Whitman represents our conservatives.

Comment

It has a long history and tradition in American democracy. So did counting Blacks as 3/5 of a person at one point in American History, as was allowing States to segregate the racists.

Not everything that a history or a tradition is a good thing, particularly when the history involves being uphold segregation in this country. It's an extremely undemocratic mechanism that should be done away with.

Comment

Originally posted by Imran Siddiqui

Exactly my point.

This could be considered a bipartisan action the same way something could be considered bipartisan if Zell Miller supported it, or how an anti-filibuster rally could be considered bipartisan if a bunch of Missisipi Democrats who voted for Bush supported it. Of course even in New Jersey, you got Republicans protesting the flibuster.

Comment

"These pants are pretty scary, guys. Just like Frist."
                              That's great
                              Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Working...
                              X