Google Scholar gains access to 100+ University libraries

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spiffor
    So, since I'm a student at the Universität Stuttgart, I would use GoogleScholar only to look at the catalogue of the Universität Stuttgart. I still don't understand the use of Google Scholar in that context, especially since the Uni Stuttgart has tools that are more adapted to its unique situation.
    Because it would include your local University's results, subscriptions, and holdings in their ranked list of relevant results.

Adding it to Google Scholar makes it a supplementary resource.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Whould this be an appropriate place to say how awsome public libraries are? Due to a series of unfortunate events I have been exiled to a small mining town in the middle of the desert, but thanks to the friendly local librarian I just fill out a short form and a week later they call me and let me borrow any book in the world for as long as I want.
      Do you believe in Evil? The Nefarious Mr. Butts
      The continuing saga of The Five Nations
      A seductress, an evil priest, a young woman and The Barbarian King

Comment

Originally posted by 1889
        Whould this be an appropriate place to say how awsome public libraries are? Due to a series of unfortunate events I have been exiled to a small mining town in the middle of the desert, but thanks to the friendly local librarian I just fill out a short form and a week later they call me and let me borrow any book in the world for as long as I want.
        Fargo has a very good public library. It is heaven compared to my high school's joke of a library.

Comment

So, since I'm a student at the Universität Stuttgart, I would use GoogleScholar only to look at the catalogue of the Universität Stuttgart. I still don't understand the use of Google Scholar in that context, especially since the Uni Stuttgart has tools that are more adapted to its unique situation.
          Because it gives all of Stuttgart reults + Google Scholar results = bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
            Because it gives all of Stuttgart reults + Google Scholar results = bigger.
            Yeah, but if I can't read the material that doesn't come from Stuttgart, why the heck would I want the other reults? They would only clutter unp the search.
            "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
            "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
            "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Yeah, but if I can't read the material that doesn't come from Stuttgart, why the heck would I want the other reults? They would only clutter unp the search.

You can read all the material you get returned, unless you add universities that you don't have access to (which you shouldn't do).
              "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Originally posted by Odin

EU modding obsession?
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                  Schools needed to volunteer to participate and have infrastructure for Google to "hook into" for the searches to work. Not all universities have digitized significant portions of their library for a search to work well -- indeed, I'm betting Oxford and Cambridge -- being the classic old-school schools -- haven't digitized much.
                  Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                  "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I don't know why you don't find it funny.

OPAC WorldCat-enabled libraries, like the UofC, participate.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                      I don't know why you don't find it funny.
                      I do find it funny.

I think the Bodleian has been online since the early '90s, all the university libraries in Cambridge are online. Ok, so they're both restricted to within the university domain, probably because that's easier than handing out passwords and so on.

Cambridge UL appears to be on that list of OPAC thingums already, and Oxford is cooperating with Google on that mass digitisation project.
                      Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
                      "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

I doubt that schools are able to make query tools as convenient, powerful and fast as Google.

Soon you guys will be dropping your school's search engine for Google.
                        In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Well, I won't, because school is but a memory for me
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Working...
                          X