Interviews

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interviews

I have been having quite a number of phone interviews lately, with varying companies around the US. Just thought I would share.

1. Specialty chemicals in Louisville, KY - should hear something from them soon, it's been 2 weeks to the day, and they said it would take them 2 weeks to get through all the screens. However, the guy seemed to like me. Yet, I wonder how much Louisville actually works leading up to the Derby.

2. Pharma intermediates in Huntsville, AL - I like this company the best, however I am short one of three requirements. I am working with a recruiter on this one, he doubts that anyone will come up as what he is looking for is rare. I had a good discussion with the guy this morning, and apparently I am still in the running. They are still looking however, and I will hear from them within 2 weeks.

3. Pharma company in Cincinatti, OH - Seems nice, small company. I scared them with my salary requirements, but was able smooth that out. Should hear by the end of the week. I think this one would be nice.

4. Paducah, KY and St. Louis, MO - a recruiter is trying to get me interviews with 2 companies at these locations. Who knows.

5. Hutchinson, MN - Making disc drive suspension assemblies. Not exactly my bread and butter, but an interesting company, small, growing, solid, may be fun... Plus, I love me my walleye! Had the interview last week, and they want me to fly out for a face to face.

Any suggestions/info on the above towns or interview strategies would be forthcoming
    Monkey!!!

Louisville is a nice Southern city in one of the prettier states. The east side is nice, W. Louisville is the pits. Don't go north into Indiana (not that you'd want to) as S. Indy is full of more racist rednecks than a Klan convention. You have a pretty good college basketball and football program there, and you're not so far from Cincy that you can't catch the NFL or MLB (or the Colts in Indianapolis).

Huntsville AL - Pretty much the only thing to recommend Huntsville is that there is a NASA facility there, so the local populace is probably a bit more educated than, say, Gadsen. However, you are hours away from any major city - Atlanta is 200 miles away, while Birmingham is just 100... though why you would want to go to Birmingham is beyond me.

Cincy - in terms of big city living, Cincy is your best bet. NFL, MLB, college hoops, fine dining, suburban sprawl... Cincy has it all. One of the things I like about Cincy is that the drivers are not wimps - if you can't handle bumper-to-bumper traffic going 65 miles an hour, don't go to Cincy.

Paducah - A nothing little hamlet in the middle of nowhere. If you want small town life with no chance of being bothered by big city growth, Paducah (of the cities that I know, at least) is your best bet. Me, I wouldn't move there for anything less than a mid six-figure salary because something would have to compensate me for my boredom.

I have no experience with the other cities you listed.

Comment

Thanks JohnT

if you can't handle bumper-to-bumper traffic going 65 miles an hour, don't go to Cincy
      Shopping.com is a leading price comparison site that allows you shop online for the best deals and lowest prices. You can read unbiased product reviews and compare prices online. Online shopping has never been as easy!

luckily, in the SF Bay Area, it's about the same
      Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
        Huntsville AL - Pretty much the only thing to recommend Huntsville is that there is a NASA facility there, so the local populace is probably a bit more educated than, say, Gadsen.
        However, isn't that where Darkstar lives?
        Concrete, Abstract, or Squoingy?
        "I don't believe in giving scripting languages because the only additional power they give users is the power to create bugs." - Mike Breitkreutz, Firaxis

Comment

However, isn't that where Darkstar lives?
          Ah crap... I'll be plagued with the converstation that never ends!
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Face it Japher, no one will ever hire you. No use posting silly made up jobs to try and impress us.
            You should open up your own septic tank cleaning service. Yea. Now there's a futur!
            -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

septic tank cleaning service
              bet you'd get paid good money!
              Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Japher

bet you'd get paid good money!
                No shlt!!

The more poeple there is, the more bullshlt there is to clean up.
                -Never argue with an idiot; He will bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

The more poeple there is, the more bullshlt there is to clean up.
                  I'm not a politician, so I wouldn't know about that.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                    Cincy - in terms of big city living, Cincy is your best bet. NFL, MLB, college hoops, fine dining, suburban sprawl... Cincy has it all. One of the things I like about Cincy is that the drivers are not wimps - if you can't handle bumper-to-bumper traffic going 65 miles an hour, don't go to Cincy.
                    Apparently everybody in Ohio who's not from Cincinnatti thinks that Cincinnatti is the worst place on Earth.

At least, my informal survey of 5 Ohians tells me that.
                    12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                    Stadtluft Macht Frei
                    Killing it is the new killing it
                    Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Well, it's not an attractive city, that's true. But of the ones listed (that I have experience with, anyway), Cincy is the best bet, with Louisville coming in a close second.

Comment

Yeah, but I get a lot of people who think I am crazy for not liking the bay area, or California for that matter...
                        Monkey!!!

Comment

But you do like it. You've just come to the realisation that you cannot afford it.
                          “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

But you do like it. You've just come to the realisation that you cannot afford it.
                            That's a reason not to like it... a BIG reason IMO
                            Monkey!!!

Comment

don't go to paducah.

there is absolutely nothing there.

Comment

Working...
                              X