X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefox 1.1 gets native SVG support

First of all, SVG (Scalable Vector Graphics) is awesome:
    SVG allows three types of graphic objects:

1. vector graphic shapes (e.g. paths consisting of straight lines and curves, and areas bounded by them)
    2. raster graphics images / digital images
    3. text

Graphical objects can be grouped, styled, transformed and composited into previously rendered objects. Text can be in any XML namespace suitable to the application, which enhances searchability and accessibility of the SVG graphics. The feature set includes nested transformations, clipping paths, alpha masks, filter effects, template objects and extensibility.

SVG drawings can be dynamic and interactive. The Document Object Model (DOM) for SVG, which includes the full XML DOM, allows straightforward and efficient vector graphics animation via ECMAScript or SMIL. A rich set of event handlers such as onmouseover and onclick can be assigned to any SVG graphical object. Because of its compatibility and leveraging of other Web standards, features like scripting can be done on SVG elements and other XML elements from different namespaces simultaneously within the same web page.

If storage space is an issue, SVG images are sometimes saved with gzip compression, in which case they may be called "SVGZ files". Because XML contains a lot of redundant data, XML tends to compress very well and these files can be much smaller.
    SVG is to graphics what XHTML is to text, MathML is to mathematical equations and CML is to the description of chemical molecules.

SVG is similar in scope to Macromedia's proprietary Flash technology: among other things it offers anti-aliased rendering, pattern and gradient fills, sophisticated filter-effects, clipping to arbitrary paths, text and animations. What distinguishes SVG from Flash, is that it is a W3 recommendation (i.e. a standard for all intents and purposes) and that it is XML-based as opposed to a closed binary format. It is explicitly designed to work with other W3C standards such as CSS, DOM and SMIL.

For example:
    Code:
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE svg PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD SVG 1.1//EN" 
            "http://www.w3.org/Graphics/SVG/1.1/DTD/svg11.dtd">
    <svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg"
         xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
      <g fill-opacity="0.7" stroke="black" stroke-width="0.1cm">
        <circle cx="6cm" cy="2cm" r="100" fill="red"
                        transform="translate(0,50)" />
        <circle cx="6cm" cy="2cm" r="100" fill="blue"
                        transform="translate(70,150)" />
        <circle cx="6cm" cy="2cm" r="100" fill="green"
                        transform="translate(-70,150)"/>
      </g>
    </svg>
    renders as:

Previously this kind of functionality was only available with a viewer, like Adobe's, which limited adoption.

Firefox and upcoming Gecko 1.8-based browsers will support it natively.

Hooray for the future of web graphics.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

that's pretty cool.
    urgh.NSFW

Comment

Finally!!!!

Of course, now that Adobe has acquired Macromedia, I doubt they'll be pushing SVG anymore and want everyone to keep using Flash.
      Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

So does Opera, but the capabilities are slightly different.

Looks much snappier than Flash.
        Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by St Leo
          So does Opera, but the capabilities are slightly different.

Looks much snappier than Flash.
          By different, you mean much less capable and a subset of SVG 1.1.
          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Yeah, SVG is nifty. I'm more interested in 1.1 caching its rendered pages.

SP
            I got the Jete from C.C. Sabathia. : Jon Miller

Comment

Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
              Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I was gonna write a smug reply about how Opera already supported it, but Opera crashes everytime it tries to load SVG... It looks like 8.01 will fix that though.

In any case... SVG
                Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Opera supports only a few parts of SVG. Kinda like how IE supports PNG, but not really.

Comment

And in other Firefox news...

Critical Flaw Found in Firefox

Matthew Broersma, Techworld.com Mon May 9,11:00 AM ET

Firefox has unpatched "extremely critical" security holes and exploit code is already circulating on the Net, security researchers have warned.

The two unpatched flaws in the Mozilla browser could allow an attacker to take control of your system.

A patch is expected shortly, but in the meantime users can protect themselves by switching off JavaScript. In addition, the Mozilla Foundation has now made the flaws effectively impossible to exploit by changes to the server-side download mechanism on the update.mozilla.org and addons.mozilla.org sites, according to security experts.

The flaws were confidentially reported to the Foundation on May 2, but by Saturday details had been leaked and were reported by several security organizations, including the French Security Incident Response Team (FrSIRT). Danish security firm Secunia marked the exploit as "extremely critical", its most serious rating, the first time it has given a Firefox flaw this rating.

In recent months Firefox has gained significant market share from Microsoft's Internet Explorer, partly because it is considered less vulnerable to attacks. However, industry observers have long warned that the browser is more secure partly because of its relatively small user base. As Firefox's profile grows, attackers will increasingly target the browser.
                    Two Vulnerabilities Found

The exploit, discovered by Paul of Greyhats Security Group and Michael "mikx" Krax, makes use of two separate vulnerabilities. An attacker could create a malicious page using frames and a JavaScript history flaw to make software installations appear to be coming from a "trusted" site. By default, Firefox allows software installations from update.mozilla.org and addons.mozilla.org, but users can add their own sites to this whitelist.

The second part of the exploit triggers software installation using an input verification bug in the "IconURL" parameter in the install mechanism. The effect is that a user could click on an icon and trigger the execution of malicious JavaScript code. Because the code is executed from the browser's user interface, it has the same privileges as the user running Firefox, according to researchers.

Mozilla Foundation said it has protected most users from the exploit by altering the software installation mechanism on its two whitelisted sites. However, users may be vulnerable if they have added other sites to the whitelist, it warned.

"We believe this means that users who have not added any additional sites to their software installation whitelist are no longer at risk," Mozilla Foundation said in a statement published on Mozillazine.org.
                    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

The more popular the product is, the more security vulnerabilities will be found. The product's not as mature as IE is, it wouldn't surprise me if it had more security holes than IE.

This is something that Agathon/UR say is rhetoric or a myth, but it's pretty frickin' obvious that software popularity has an impact on its liklihood for hackers to find bugs in.

Comment

By the way, Opera still doesn't support MathML either.

Comment

All-in-all I'm glad I was converted to a Firefox user.
                          The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
                            Opera supports only a few parts of SVG.
                            Yes, you said that earlier.

Kinda like how IE supports PNG, but not really.
                            Not quite. Opera supports a proper subset of SVG (SVG 1.1. Tiny), whereas IE has faulty PNG support.

... and I fixed the crashing. I guess the newly built-in SVG support was clashing with the Adobe SVG plug-in I had installed back when Opera didn't yet support SVG natively.
                            Civilization II: maps, guides, links, scenarios, patches and utilities (+ Civ2Tech and CivEngineer)

Comment

Great
                              But as long as IE doesn't support it, nobody's going to use it...

Comment

Working...
                              X