The cattle come home to roost

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is good and bad cholesterol.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

yes, I know
      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
        some fats are bad -- there is this thingy called cholesterol
        Actually, studies done of Atkins dieters have shown they have lowered cholesterol levels after being on the diet.

Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
          Zombies, exactly Canadian cows.
          Dead cow walking?

Mad Cow Disease
          April 16, 1996

REX MURPHY: As with so many other of life's more interesting experiences, I cannot claim a firsthand acquaintance with mad cow disease. I've known a frisky poodle or two, and the odd demented cat, but widespread insanity of the barnyard variety has, alas, largely passed me by. Trust the British to underline the gravity of a toxic outbreak by giving it a name -- mad cow -- that could have been lifted straight from the menu of Fawlty Towers. But then, the British have always shown a commendable indifference to the line dividing sketch comedy from real life. Consider the royals and the career of John Major -- but I digress. Now, I may be a layman in dairy science, but am I alone in thinking that the proposed solution to the mad cow phenomenon is a tad extreme? Wiping out millions and millions of cows because a couple of their number are a few fibres short of a cud, the British are the most ecologically pious citizens on the planet. But could this be a sensitivity that only operates on remote? They bleed for seals that are not their own, but if there's a threat to the domestic hamburger supply, it's opening night for dead cows walking.

This is Britain, let us all remember: the native land of the animal-lover. This is Britain, where they have road crossings for toads, practically mate with hedgehogs -- Britain, where the domestic cats and dogs enjoy the status that is only slightly less than idolatry. The spectacle of some members of the horseback aristocracy chasing a single fox can put the entire countryside in an uproar, yet who's putting in a good word for the cow? Aren't cows people-- I'm sorry. Aren't cows animals too? If this were a couple of pandas that had gone slightly loopy, they'd be flying psychiatrists in from all over the world. Or if a few owls - - and I mean this in the kindest possible way -- had gone slightly bats; or if a few bats -- and I mean this in the kindest possible way too -- had gone slightly barmy, I don't think it'd be open season on all the night flyers. I think we must acknowledge the hypocrisy here and confront the question: Is the movement for animal rights only for the ecological superstars?

Now let us consider the cow. It is one of the most innocuous creatures on the face of God's green acreage. It munches a little grass, chews its cud, has a small problem with flatulence and, basically, spends most of its time staring innocently at nothing in particular. Kind of like the ideal guest on Regis and Kathie Lee. Next to the chicken, the cow is the least demanding of our co- confederates on the planet.

So, in the kingdom that was built on roast beef and Yorkshire pudding, is this how they reward innocence and loyalty? A few cows are stricken, and possibly the whole herd -- millions -- are on the long path to Cold Comfort Farm. What would the great eulogist and poet, Thomas Grey, think? "The lowing herd winds slowly o'er the lea / and leaves the world to darkness, and to me." I'm Rex Murphy.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=)
          (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

AFAIK, they don't know why.
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Starvation for $100, Alex.
              (\__/)
              (='.'=)
              (")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

Actually, studies done of Atkins dieters have shown they have lowered cholesterol levels after being on the diet.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/...8-adkins_x.htm

hmmm . . . . . . interesting
                A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                  Starvation for $100, Alex.
                  You don't starve on Atkins. Far from it. You're full most of the time, heck, you're satiated. It was a great diet, but it costs money. When I have a job, I'm going back on it.

Comment

I've seen it ripped to shreds by people who know a heck of a lot more about human metabolism than I.
                    (\__/)
                    (='.'=)

Comment

Atkins guide: 25$
                      All meat supermarket trip: 50$
                      Going into ketoacidosis on purpose: priceless
                      12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                      Stadtluft Macht Frei
                      Killing it is the new killing it
                      Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

Thanks, but I'd rather not have excess levels of chemical relatives to nail-polish remover floating around in my bloodstream.
                        12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                        Stadtluft Macht Frei
                        Killing it is the new killing it
                        Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

They said the border reopening would increase the risk of importing contaminated beef products from cattle infected with bovine spongiform encephalopathy – mad cow disease – into the U.S. They argue that would shatter consumer confidence in the American cattle industry.
                          Not that this hasn't happened already, with BSE cases found in the US itself.
                          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by MrFun
                            some fats are bad -- there is this thingy called cholesterol
                            Saturated fat is bad news.
                            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by notyoueither
                              Unions, che. It is unlikely that illegals would find jobs in the meat packing industry.
                              Meat packing hasn't been a majority union industry in years. It's now a low wage industry using immigrant labor or at least according to a Time magazine article a few years back.
                              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Not that this hasn't happened already, with BSE cases found in the US itself.
                                It was a Canadian cow brought to the US for slaughter. It was caught be monitors.
                                Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Working...
                                X