Planting stuff in European Union

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting stuff in European Union

Here in Croatia, we are in a (slow) process of joining the EU.

Newspapers are full of claims that we have to boost agricultural production and area planted with each produce before we enter the Union, because once we are in, we won't be allowed to expand it. They say not a single extra olive tree or wineyard can be planted once in EU.

How much of this is true?

I assume that because the amount of agricultural subsidies in the EU is limited and pretty much the same each year (about 50 billion euros), there are production quotas for both products and countries.

What happens if I want to play the game, but outside of the subsidy network? Basically, can I plant grape and produce my wine and sell it in EU, or am I literally forbidden to compete under the CAP?

If the latter is true, how does it measure with constitutions, laws and agreements guaranteeing freedom of enterprise?

No idea about it, maybe this is useful?

Actually I never cared about it much, so there maybe other relevant documents.....
    Blah

Comment

Thanks BeBro. It stinks of bloody communism, though I have no real proof yet:

1. Production quotas as such
      Quotas are fixed at national level for milk and sugar and allocated to farms or enterprises. Producers exceeding the quotas in each Member State face penalties.

OK, they are under contract. What I want to know is what happens to producers that aren't under subsidy contract?

Comment

Hm, don't know - but I also wonder if exactly the same rules would also go for new members, because there seem to be transitional rules for new members often (for some years).
        Blah

Comment

From the same link:

vines (ban on planting)

It's almost settled then. I'll want to find a more detailed explanation, but indications are strong. It seems EU forbids people to plant stuff and sell it on the market.

Does USA do this? I doubt it.

Therefore USA > Europe.

Does this bother you? It bothers me alright. It's not about something that is produced in Croatia, it's about the principle. We've barely gotten out of communism 15 years ago, I don't want to enter a new SSSR in disguise

Comment

Then go join the US...We really give a ****!!!
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
            Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

The penalties likely come in the form of reduced subsidies, however, since the new members don't recieve much in the way of subsidies they should be able to break them without to much down side.
              Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

This seems stupid. So often it seems like the EU is trying to make itself fail.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by VetLegion
                  From the same link:

vines (ban on planting)

It's almost settled then. I'll want to find a more detailed explanation, but indications are strong. It seems EU forbids people to plant stuff and sell it on the market.

Does USA do this? I doubt it.

Therefore USA > Europe.

Does this bother you? It bothers me alright. It's not about something that is produced in Croatia, it's about the principle. We've barely gotten out of communism 15 years ago, I don't want to enter a new SSSR in disguise
                  Do you actually plan to make wine (to drink) or will you sell the fruits (to eat)? Because I read somewhere these are treated differently. But I really can't say I'm an expert in this field, so maybe you need to find better info....
                  Blah

Comment

Originally posted by alva
                    Then go join the US...We really give a ****!!!
                    Ah, alva, also a supporter of the compulsory personal ID if I recall correctly. Well, at least you're consistent in your anti liberty stances

Comment

welcome to EU. You are nto allowed to make wine. HMMMMMMMMM I wonder who benefits from this one? Once you realize it's not about free markets they claim, then you are on the right track. You see they say, that it's all about 'making it fair'. So that 'everyone has the same chance' and that the 'standards are held'. 'This ensures free market and economic growth in all areas'.

TRUE EUROS and Euronites coming to defend their commie views in 3..2..1..
                      In da butt.
                      "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                      THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                      "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Oerdin:

The penalties likely come in the form of reduced subsidies, however,

Mostly, but, if I recieve no subsidies to begin with? I still get punished.

Comment

The most screwed up part of the EU is the Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) which regulates and subsidizes everything to do with agriculture. Basically, France has rigged the system in its favor so France gets by far the largest share of subsidies and is protected from new competition via regulations like Vetlegion has mentioned.

What to improve competition and eliminate the single largest budget item in the EU? Kill CAP.
                          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Pekka
                            TRUE EUROS and Euronites coming to defend their commie views in 3..2..1..
                            Well, alcohol is bad anyway
                            Blah

Comment

Exactly.

See Spiffor with 897234 pages of documents proving this is not what it smells and looks like .
                              In da butt.
                              "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
                              THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
                              "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Working...
                              X