60 year anniversary of V-E day.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 60 year anniversary of V-E day.

and the german ambassador is not happy about British attitudes towards Germany and the war.

I find it interesting because usually the americans are criticised for acting like they beat the nazis single handedly. This ambassador is saying the British are acting like this. And they are beating up germans.

"And they are beating up germans."

Are you sure it they weren't just playing soccer?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

they call it football for some strange reason.

Comment

I fought in Nam dammit! Where's my remembrance day?!

Comment

The Brits are insane, but great.

Comment

"I fought in Nam dammit! Where's my remembrance day?!"

Damn good question.

Comment

Hmm... if I were asked what I associated Germany with (and I exercised no restraint) I'd probably say WWII, or maybe EU. Why? Because German culture isn't really prominent internationally. and that's not necesarilly anybody's fault but Germany. Such stereotypes won't go away because you moan about it, try advertising or tourism.

Most would probably associate England with the Royal Family for instance. That's because they are a big tourist attraction and the who British Empire mentality etc.

What determines international perspective of your country if your foreign policy and tourism. Note I said WWII and the EU. Both foreign policy issues (Germany being a major player in WWII towards Britain, my country, and being in the EU, which my country is a part of). I've been to Germany and frankly I didn't particularly like it. So, we're left with foreign attitudes towards my country, which is the EU, and WWII. Not many youngsters care about politics but they love a good fight, so wipe the EU one, and we're left with World War II.

Same thing with any country. You associate France with food and culture, and maybe its military history. Again, foreign policy and tourism. The US: War in Iraq, its ideals, and its big foreign-play and big economy. Again, foregin policy and history.

Just because you haven't sold yourself well to other countries, doesn't mean its there fault they have a poor opinion of you.

Comment

Belgian chocolate

Comment

I associate germany with beer

Comment

BMW
                    Volkswagon
                    There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Bush is in Holland right now, at the American War Cemetary at Margraten. Over 8,000 graves there. Used to be 18,000 but 10,000 are reburied in the States over the years.

BTW, I associate Germany with the '74 World Cup they stole from us
                      Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                      And notifying the next of kin
                      Once again...

Comment

What's wrong with British kids associating Germany with WW2? It was kind of a big war, you know?
                        “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                        - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

But what about WWI?
                          Blah

Comment

WW1 is more problematic because it doesn't have the easy good v. evil subplot and it was earlier. Beating the Kaiser, meh. Beating Hitler,
                            “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                            - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

But it was a big war too!
                              Blah

Comment

Working...
                              X