Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

War between the western allies and the Sovs in '45. Who wins?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

The Western allies were only facting at most 1/10 of Nazi Germany's military might, the rest was on the Eastern Front.
    Which is why they outnumbered the Krauts by 10 and 20 to 1 or more in AFV's And I think the accepted figure is 25% of Axis forces were in the West, particularly after D Day.

The Western allies also achieved full motorisation of their forces, something neither the Germans nor the Russians ever achieved, or even got close to. Allied airpower would have made an awful mess of the Red Army's horse and rail based transport.

The general state of the roads is another interesting point - the Western allies would have been using paved roads and other well developed and "thick" transport arteries whilst the Sovs would have been using unsealed dirt roads and narrow supply corridors, vulnerable to interdiction.

And just to cap off a bad year, there would have been famine in Russia if Western food supplies had been cut off in 1945.
    Last edited by Alexander's Horse; May 9, 2005, 02:42.
    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

This is a ridiculous argument. The US had mad tonnage by the end of the war. Apply until Russkii defeat.
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Re: War between the western allies and the Sovs in '45. Who wins?

Originally posted by Lancer
        The west has control of the sea Patton, and industrial might.

Folks, this is why commas are useful. There is no such thing as the Patton Sea . . . . .

now there most certainly was an American general by the name of Patton.
        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

I screwed up MrFun.

I'm really sorry.
          Long time member @ Apolyton
          Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I will allow this horrid butchering of grammar to slip by this one time . . . . . .
            A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

1. How do they reach the Urals?
                The B-29 had a range of 3250 miles with a full bomb load.
                He's got the Midas touch.
                But he touched it too much!
                Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Probably a stalemate. The Soviets have grave logistical problems getting supplies and men to central Europe in the teeth of Anglo-American interdiction efforts, and time is most certainly not on their side with their massive production deficit and already severely depleted manpower. While they have superior armor and much more combat experience than their adversaries, they would have to attack not only into the teeth of allied tactical air, but much more significantly on the tactical level into masses of world class allied artillery. Beside this, the Anglo-American allies are very stubborn defenders.

On the flip side the Allies aren't a lock in taking the attack to the enemy. For starters they aren't nearly as imaginative or effective in the attack as they are on the defensive, while the Soviets are very good on the defensive. The large deficit in quality and numbers of armored vehicles between the Soviets and the Western Allies is a much larger factor if the Allies are forced to send their tanks into the open to find the Soviet tank and anti-tank forces the hard way. There won't be any chance to use terrain or fortifications to support the generally inadequate armor of the majority of allied tanks, while local firepower superiority won't guarantee a victory as undergunned allied tanks will achieve few kills on Soviet heavy tanks dug in hull down. Assuming that the Soviets learn to move their tanks once they have been exposed (probably after smoking a sherman or two), allies indirect artillery will have a hard time making up the difference.

Logistically the war would be a nightmare for the allies, despite the fact that they would have an infinitely easier time getting supplies to central and Eastern Europe via the Baltic. The reason for this is that there would be many millions of starving civilians to care for, and more for every mile the Allies advance. As it was people starved in Europe and Japan at the end of the war. Allied strength would be also diluted as they occupied all of the territory on their way east. Sure, the relative popularity of the allied political program would make this necessity less of a burden, but the sheer mass of territory would add up.

I think the strategic air war would have a minimal impact, as I don't think the Soviets could last long enough for the allied strategic forces to do enough damage, nor do I think that the Anglo-Allies would have the political will to fight another several year war in order to achieve a significant victory.

Oh, and the Japanese would still lose, badly.
                  He's got the Midas touch.
                  But he touched it too much!
                  Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

The guys with the nuclear bomb win.
                    Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                      No, I guess not. He was talking about an ultimatim to deman the USSR leave Eastern Europe though, which implies an U.S. attack.
                      Wasn't that in reply to the posts above it?
                      "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

• Originally posted by Sikander
                        Oh, and the Japanese would still lose, badly.
                        With thirteen divisions in Kyushu (our invasion force only had 12 divisions) and 5,000 combat aircraft, they weren't going to be a pushover.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

• It was around 12k aircraft I think, all slated for kamakaze missions though. No, if the war had lasted into 1946 millions of Japanese would have starved. it was over.

Comment

• The Allies would win, and Moscow would be radioactive glass.

Pwning Russia: priceless

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Led by Communists! They gonna attack their allies?
                              the '44 warsaw uprising was led by the Polish Home Army.
                              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• i will go with the stalemate side. US airpower just about offsetting Soviet ground forces. War exhaustion on both sides.
                                "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

Working...
                                X