Just watched Conan the Barbarrian

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon Miller
    There is some absolutely fabulous Sci Fi (more than Fantasy I am afraid)
    Let me whisper something in your ear.

Terry Pratchett!!

Comment

As I walk the SF/Fantasy section at book stores, there is far more Fantasy than SF... which means it must be selling better... sigh.
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

I have read almost all of Terry Pratchett's books

there are library's in Oregon where I have read every fantasy and science fiction book they have....

and there are still many I haven't read

Jon Miller
        (I just haevn't quite kept up with his publishing speed the last few years)
        Jon Miller-
        I AM.CANADIAN
        GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Originally posted by Ming

I have over 4,000 in my collection, and I've barely scratched the surface
          Holy ****!

I have about 1000 but the collection is 99.9% fantasy

Best Conan (REH) story: "Red Nails"
          We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
          If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
          Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

I don't really know all the books I own

and I really don't know all the books I have read (years ago I would pull a new author/book to try and discovered that I had already read it)

Jon Miller
            Jon Miller-
            I AM.CANADIAN
            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

@Ming

My fav cover was from 'Conan the Cimmerian', with those frost giants and i also liked the first one from 'Conan' - had the ape creature that nearly did for Conan in the first Howard novel.

and ref the book 'Conan the Barbarian' by Le Sprague and Lin - i'll have to scan the cover for you and post it here
              Thinking about it it might have been based on the screenplay by Milius and not the other way around?

I had a big fall out with my school(highschool for usa folks) english teacher. I wanted to do my final coursework exam based on Conan and the howard vs 'other' conan story writers. He wouldn't let me, wanting me to choose a 'non trash fiction' title, as he put it, for study instead.
              Sadly I failed to convince him on the hidden depths of Conan, or the interesting make up of its creator

I think i got all the Frazetta cover conan novels, maybe missing one or two as about the time i started collecting they put out new covers for them. Much lower quality art work sadly.

I'm keeping all my books to give to my firstborn son, we'll have a 'Crom is strong and lives in the earth' type chat when he is old enough. I'll need to find some suitable mountain backdrop to do it in though
              Last edited by child of Thor; May 9, 2005, 06:12.
              'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor

and ref the book 'Conan the Barbarian' by Le Sprague and Lin - i'll have to scan the cover for you and post it here
                Thinking about it it might have been based on the screenplay by Milius and not the other way around?
                The book "Conan the Barbarian" was indeed based on the screenplay, and was released after the movie. It covers ground already covered in other novels... and as the screenplay ripped off bits and pieces from the novels, so does this adaptation
                Keep on Civin'

Comment

I was jumping channels last night before sleeping and they had Conan the Barbarian on

It was the scene where he had just ran away from the wolves and fell into the tomb(ripped of from the 'Thing in the crypt' story in the first howard novel). It a cracking scene, wonderfull music(i've got the soundtrack and i'd recomend it to anyone, especialy conan fans), and even though arnold only utters one word , 'Crom' in the whole 5 min sequence - its some of his best acting.

In fact the in the whole movie he's pretty perfect for the roll(like he was in terminator). Maybe Milius could just get exactly what he wanted out of him?

I wantd to watch it, but as i was working this morning and have the DVD of this film, decided sleep was a priority.

Still i had a great dream about falling into a tunnel and finding my own ancient sword (Freud might have something to say about this )
                  'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

Yeah... whenever I'm cruising the movie channels, I'll always stop for Conan and watch it

And yes, I love the sound track.
                    Keep on Civin'

Comment

Its a shame that the second movie(and most other conan stuff) dropped the ball so badly? It started to go all slap-stick and stupid side kick

A wasted opportunity

The first film is in my top ten i think......or pretty close. I've only got the sound track on tape, but have been meaning to look for it on CD for a while now. For me the music really made the film in many of the scenes

It'll be interesting to see what the new game(MMORPG) will turn out like.

Comment

Working...
                      X