• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Conan was too intellectual for me.
    Blah

Comment

Originally posted by child of Thor
      The movie was based on a book that LeSprague de Camp and Lin Carter collaborated on, called Conan the Barbarian. So it wasn't an origonal Howard creation, but it takes parts from many of conans other stories to create the film/book version.
      Wrong

While L. Sprague de Camp was the technical advisor on the film... the actual screenplay was written by John Milius and Olver Stone. The opening credits state "Based on the Character created by Robert E. Howard. There is no book titled "Conan the Barbarian"

L. Sprague de Camp and Lin Carter (and many others), did create many original stories. But the early books were just them cleaning up the original short stories that Howard had published, and filling in some of the gaps. Only much later after the series became famous, did they actually write original novels...

The theft of the tower in Zamora is from "The Tower of the Elephant."

The speech King Osric gives about the throne room becoming a prison echoes a similar passage in "The Mirrors of Tuzun Thune," a King Kull story.

The scene where Conan is crucified and kills a vulture with his teeth is from "A Witch Shall Be Born."

The scene where Valeria vows to come back from the dead to save Conan and then does so is from "Queen of the Black Coast."

Like the rerelease of his stories in novel form by de Camp and Carter, the movie is just a collection of short stories tied together with a Bunch of original material just for the movie
      Keep on Civin'
      RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

As a side note, I happen to own many of the old pulp magazines that his original stories appeared in, and I also own all the Lancer First Edition mass market releases that de Camp and Carter put together based on his original short stories and notes he left behind before he killed himself

Too bad that Howard became famous for his work long after his death.
        Keep on Civin'

Comment

Talking about de Camp and Lin Carter, anyone read the Thongor stories? Are they 'copies' of Conan or were they written before the movie gave Conan his renown?
          Clash of Civilization team member
          (a civ-like game whose goal is low micromanagement and good AI)
          web site http://clash.apolyton.net/frame/index.shtml and forum here on apolyton)

Comment

"Lancer First Edition"

Catchy title.

The flick didn't do much for me. His later movies were much better. I would not have voted for him based on this movie.
            Long time member @ Apolyton
            Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by LDiCesare
              Talking about de Camp and Lin Carter, anyone read the Thongor stories? Are they 'copies' of Conan or were they written before the movie gave Conan his renown?
              Carter wrote the Thongor Novels in the mid and late 60's, but most of the writers back then were doing some kind of sword and sorcrey to pay the bills. The movie didn't come out until 1982. However, the Conan short stories by Howard were some of the early works that helped define this genre of work. The rerelease of his stuff in novel form helped revitalize sales of the entire category.

I happen to own the early Thongor books, as well as most of the other Sword and Sorcery stuff from that era.
              Keep on Civin'

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                So, did you wake up yesterday thinking: "My goal for the day is to completely waste 2 hours with absolutely no benefit to me, society, or the Universe at large"?
                says the person posting at Apolyton

Comment

I probably read the novelizations of hie work..

not sure, they were old books, not magazines..

JM
                  Jon Miller-
                  I AM.CANADIAN
                  GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Anyone knows the Frazetta paintings and drawings of Conan? Too bad I can't post them here, they are gorgeous...
                    Within weeks they'll be re-opening the shipyards
                    And notifying the next of kin
                    Once again...

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                      Conan was too intellectual for me.

Comment

Originally posted by Hueij
                        Anyone knows the Frazetta paintings and drawings of Conan? Too bad I can't post them here, they are gorgeous...
                        He's one of my favorite artists... He did the cover art for many of the Conan novels, and many other sword and sorcery books...

Keep on Civin'

Comment

Keep on Civin'

Comment

Keep on Civin'

Comment

Keep on Civin'

Comment