Let the good times roll -- 310,000 New Jobs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Let the good times roll -- 310,000 New Jobs

274,000 new jobs were added last month and the March figure was adjusted upwards by 36,000. So that means 310,000 new jobs in the US were announced today.

Rock on!

US economy generates 274,000 new jobs
    By Christopher Swann in Washington
    Published: May 6 2005 13:58 | Last updated: May 6 2005 13:58

US economyThe US economy generated 274,000 jobs in April, more than double the increase expected by analysts.

The unemployment rate remained at 5.2 per cent.

The improved employment picture may help to lift sentiment over the US economy which has been battered in recent weeks by a string of weak releases.

Economists have been particularly worried by stagnating wages - which may make it hard for US consumers to sustain high levels of spending growth.

However, if the employment situation continues to improve at the pace set in April, rates of wage increase would be likely to rise.

The labour force participation rate was also up, at 66 per cent in April from 65.8 per cent in March.

The Bureau of Labor Statistics said job growth was widespread, with gains in construction, mining, and several service-providing industries.

This followed gains of 300,000 in February and a revised146,000 in March.

Within the goods-producing sector, construction employment rose by 47,000 in April. Heavy and civil engineering construction also added 8,000 jobs over the month. Since its most recent low in March 2003, construction industry employment has grown by 551,000.

In April, employment in mining increased by 8,000. The industry has added 31,000 jobs over the past 6 months; support activities for oil and gas operations has accounted for most of this increase.

Employment in manufacturing was little changed in April at 14.3.
    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

I'll be working a new job soon God willing. 'New' meaning it never existed before.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Good show and good luck. And let me be the first to say...

It's all Bush's fault!
      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The real key is that we have been averaging over 150,000 per month (the estimated rate of growth of the working age population) for a while now.
        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

Another thing that I like is that these are not government jobs, but rather private sector jobs. Likely, next month we finally will turn into expansion in the private sector.

Comment

Where's mine!
            Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Construction jobs are up at the same time new housing starts are down?
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                Naturalization of illegal immigrants is on the rise
                In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

DanS reminds me of the public address announcer in Nineteen-Eighty-Four.

"Citizens! The battle for production has been won!!!..."
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara

Yeah, construction hiring is bound to be considerably lower going forward. Graduation is in May though so that should give a boost.
                    I drank beer. I like beer. I still like beer. ... Do you like beer Senator?
                    - Justice Brett Kavanaugh

Comment

There was some good pressure on wages, but that could be a bad thing right now with the threat of inflation.

The seasonally adjusted average weekly wage rose $4.88, or 0.9 percent, to $542.40 -- the biggest percentage rise since August of 1997. The average hourly wage rose far more modest 5 cents, or 0.3 percent, to $16, similar to the gain posted in March.
                      cnn

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                        DanS reminds me of the public address announcer in Nineteen-Eighty-Four.

"Citizens! The battle for production has been won!!!..."
                        I'm more of an economic cheerleader than an announcer.

Comment

More like a cheerleader with no panties on.

Comment

and sexy cheerleading is illegal. throw him in jail.
                            "Everything for the State, nothing against the State, nothing outside the State" - Benito Mussolini

Comment

Only in Texas.

Comment

Working...
                              X