Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

IBM complies to the max: 80GB of source, a server, snide instructions given to SCO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IBM complies to the max: 80GB of source, a server, snide instructions given to SCO

Here's the Todd Shaughnessy affidavit [PDF] from IBM that Magistrate Judge Brooke Wells requested they file when they turned over all the code and paperwork to SCO, which we now find out happened on schedule on March 18.

It's a remarkable document in many ways, and, as I'm sure you'll see for yourself, it's got the air of a company not a bit worried about turning over every last Stickie note it could find, so to speak. They even turned over a server to SCO's "outside counsel", no doubt Boies Schiller, complete with elaborate instructions, even a script to help them find whatever they wish. (I have transcribed Exhibit B, but it throws the page formatting off, and you end up having to scroll, so I'll work on figuring that out, while you read this part. UPDATE: It is now complete.) Frankly, it's hilarious. It tells them how to do everything but plug the server in to the electric outlet. Perhaps they didn't believe Chris Sontag when he claimed to be knowledgeable about how CMVC works.

Why? Well, Judge Wells, in that January Discovery Order, suggested that IBM be thorough so as to block SCO from complaining about not getting everything, and for sure they now have everything IBM says they could find:

IBM is also hereby further ORDERED to file an affidavit specifying the efforts it took to deliver the code from the CMVC and RCS systems. Included in this affidavit should be an attestation to the percentage of AIX and Dynix information found and provided from the CMVC and RCS systems. By requiring this, the court seeks to circumvent future complaints by SCO alleging that IBM failed to provide all CMVC and RCS information.

Knowing SCO, they'll complain that IBM must have more hidden in a mattress somewhere, but it's a tired argument now, with this massive dump of code and white papers.

If SCO complains about wanting more, IBM is now positioned to argue that SCO is being unreasonable, and so is the court, if it goes along with SCO's outre demands. It tells the court just how much this has cost them in man hours and effort, by employees and the legal team. It comes to a pretty penny:

5. Complying with the Court's Order involved more than 4,700 hours of work from more than 400 IBM employees. This does not include the time spent by IBM's counsel and consultants on this project, which was likewise considerable. IBM produced a total of more than 80 GB of source code and other electronic data to SCO, and more than 900,000 pages of paper (which were scanned and produced in electronic form on CDs).

That is a lot of white papers and design documents, and it's a significant amount of money spent, and discovery is not supposed to punish the defendant, so that they end up losing even when they eventually win. I think they've made that point very clear to Judge Wells.

Another interesting point is that it turns out that there aren't even 3,000 contributors to AIX and Dynix code, another indication that the original Wells order was out of line. There were 7,200 people with access to the code, but not all were contributing code, so should SCO come back with more demands -- do you doubt it? -- the outside limit is now considerably less than it seemed to be before. IBM will produce, by July 19, 2005, documents from the files of the 100 individuals who made the most contributions and changes to AIX and Dynix source code, as ordered by Judge Wells when she cut back the requirement to turn over such documents from the 3,000 she thought existed.

So IBM is obeying the order to the max, but it is also letting both the court and SCO know that they feel it was a ridiculous, albeit expensive, fishing expedition. And judging from the tone of this affidavit, and the way IBM turned over every last crumb it could dig up, I gather they don't think SCO will find any fish, either, though they no doubt wish them an elaborate and expensive fishing trip.
    Had I only been around earlier, and I would've been one of those individuals with access to the AIX family on CMVC.

This whole SCO vs IBM thing is ridiculous to start with, and I'm very glad that they're leaving no room for error in getting this case dismissed.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

It took 4,700 hours of work from 400 IBM employees, and 900,000 pages of paper to sift through to do this.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

An honest-to-God quote from their submission:
      EXHIBIT A

System operation (Please read the AIX 5.2 documentation before attempting to use this system)

To power up the system, press the power button on the front panel.
      To reboot the system, run the 'reboot' command as root.
      To shutdown the system run the 'shutdown -F' command as root.
      To power up after shutdown, press the power button on the front panel.

Comment

In other news IBM announces layoffs to the tune of 10,000 - 14,000 jobs. Needed productivity gains said to be the rationale.
        "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

European service and management jobs mostly.

EMEA is a terrible region for IBM. It harkens back to when Thomas Watson gave control of IBM to his two sons, Tom and Dick, one EMEA and one North America.

When Gerstner took over, he eliminated much of the barriers between the two of them, but not all of it. There are basically two levels of IBM management: EMEA and otherwise. And they compete and disobey eachother frequently. It's been documented on several occasions that directives from the top of IBM were ignored, and coverups even orchestrated by European employees to pretend to be complying,when they weren't.

Long story short, enough is enough. That top layer of IBM EMEA is being eliminated, and will report directly to the IBM execs like everyone else. Some management will be redistributed, others asked to leave, others will be laid off.

Also, a bunch of "Global Services" employees in Europe are getting the axe. They aren't nearly as productive per person as they are in North America, for whatever reason.

Comment

I know this must sound incredible to you, but lawyers discovering ~ 360 feet of documents is not an amazing amount.
            I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

The amazing part is how condescendingly thorough the documentation is. They even wrote a script for them.

They're assuming SCO has never used a computer before.

Comment

They are required to act as such. The condescension is totally lost on SCO.

Hate to be a killjoy.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

They're required to describe how to turn on the computer?

From the request that they quoted, I saw no such requirement.

Comment

It is implied. IBM is required to make their discovery usable for a non-techie. That's the way this stuff works.

Comment

Are these implications new?

In the 1970s in the anti-trust case against IBM, IBM was required to keep all internal correspondence for future reference. They filled up a couple large warehouses with the paper and just told the feds, "There you go..." and pointed to them...

Comment

Relatively new, yes. The legal profession handles discovery a lot differently than it used to. For instance, lawyers used to be able to disorganize the discovery so as to confuse the other side. That would be sanctionable conduct now.

Comment

The documents aren't written for the likes of SCO's techies but for their lawyers. They're the ones who like a signed affidavit that "proves" that this machine will turn on just like any other of its type.

Comment

How about seeing the humour in IBM supplying SCO an AIX server? Not too long ago, SCO "revoked" IBM's license to use and sell AIX (which they ignored, of course), and here they are giving SCO an AIX server?

Comment

Originally posted by JohnT
                              The documents aren't written for the likes of SCO's techies but for their lawyers. They're the ones who like a signed affidavit that "proves" that this machine will turn on just like any other of its type.
                              Er. The "document" I'm referring to are the technical instructions for using and analysing CMVC data.

I very much doubt a non-technical person would do that, seeing as they wouldn't know what the first thing to look for is.

Comment

Working...
                              X