• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another homophobic republican who opposed gay rights is busted...and gay

Spokane mayor accused of molesting boys in 1970s

By NICHOLAS K. GERANIOS
    ASSOCIATED PRESS WRITER

SPOKANE, Wash. -- Mayor James E. West, a former Republican legislative leader and opponent of gay rights, has been accused of molesting two boys decades ago and more recently offering a City Hall internship during an online chat to someone he thought was a young man but was in reality a computer investigator hired by a newspaper.

West on Thursday denied the molestation allegations, although he acknowledged visiting a gay Web site and "had relations with adult men. I don't deny that."

West, 54, said he intended to serve out the 1,150 days left in his term.

"I am a law-abiding citizen," West said during a brief news conference in which he did not take questions.

The Spokesman-Review in a copyright story in Thursday's editions had articles and photographs of two men who allege West molested them when they were in the Boy Scouts. Both men - Robert J. Galliher, 36, of Seattle, and Michael G. Grant Jr., 31, of Spokane - have criminal records because of drug problems.

"I categorically deny allegations about incidents that supposedly occurred 24 years ago as alleged by two convicted felons and about which I have no knowledge," West said.

In an e-mail issued to city employees Thursday, West apologized for bringing embarrassment to the mayor's office.

"I stumbled and let you down," West wrote.

He also said he considered his private life off-limits.

No criminal investigations are under way, according to the sheriff and police departments.

West acknowledged to the newspaper that he offered gifts and an internship over the Web site Gay.com to what he believed was an 18-year-old man, but was actually a private computer expert hired by the newspaper.

West opposed gay rights, abortion rights and teenage sex during a two-decade legislative career. He used the online aliases, "Cobra82nd" and "RightBi-Guy" to chat on the Web site. West was in the Army's 82nd Airborne as a paratrooper

"The Gay.com thing has only been, I can't recall, but it hasn't been very long," he told the newspaper. "I can't tell you why I go there, to tell you the truth ... curiosity, confused, whatever, I don't know."

Concerning his sexual orientation, "I wouldn't characterize me as 'gay,'" West said.

Spokane in the past year has been rocked by dozens of claims of past sexual abuse of children by Catholic priests, and the Roman Catholic Diocese of Spokane has declared bankruptcy because of legal claims from the abuse.

The newspaper said its investigation of West arose out of tips received in 2002 during its investigations of the Catholic sex abuse.

The newspaper hired the forensics computer expert in October 2004 to create a fictitious identity as an 18-year-old boy, and to verify whether the aliases were actually West.

Steve Smith, editor of The Spokesman-Review, told The Associated Press on Thursday that the newspaper was reluctant to hire the computer expert, but felt it was necessary because of West's apparent abuse of office and ongoing potential for harm to young people.

The expert brought knowledge of tracking Internet addresses and identities of chatroom participants that the newsroom lacked, he said.

West denied that his offers to the computer expert constituted abuse of his public office.

West, a lifelong resident of this city of 200,000, spent two decades in the Legislature, rising to majority leader of the state Senate. He was a conservative, well-regarded for his political skills but abrasive in style, with a fierce temper.

He made headlines in 1990 when he proposed marriage from the floor of the Senate to Ginger Marshall while she was visiting the Capitol. Their marriage ended five years later. The Spokesman-Review said she could not be reached for comment Wednesday night.

During a 1990 hearing on AIDS education, West proposed that teen sex be criminalized. As a Senate leader, West consistently opposed efforts to expand civil rights protections for gays in jobs and housing. In February 1998, West voted for the Defense of Marriage Act, a ban on gay marriage.

He won the mayor's office in 2003, and has been praised for bringing stability to city government.

Molestation accusations against West, dating from his years as a sheriff's deputy and Boy Scout troop leader, were made in a deposition for a lawsuit against Spokane County by Galliher. The lawsuit seeks damages for Galliher, his older brother Brett and two other men, who claim they were molested by another deputy at the time, David Hahn.

West was not named as a defendant and said he was unaware of the deposition.

In interviews with the newspaper, Galliher and Grant said they were introduced to West by Hahn in the late 1970s or early '80s, when the two sheriff's deputies were close friends and leaders of Boy Scout Troop 345 at Hamblen Elementary School.

Galliher said he was present when Hahn committed suicide at his apartment in 1981 after being publicly accused of molesting young boys.

He said he was molested at least four times by West, twice while West was on duty in uniform, driving a sheriff's car said, and at least once in Hahn's apartment.

"Jim West ended up ... just grabbing my penis, fondling me, making me fondle him. Some oral sex, if you call it that," he said.

Afterward, Galliher said, "He just told me I better not tell anyone about this."

Grant, in jail on a drug charge, said he was sexually abused twice by Hahn and twice by West when he was 7 or 8.

"They just molested me, sodomized me," Grant said. "Not at the same time, just like took turns. They took me into the bathroom and one came in, then the other."

He said West told him that "if I was to tell anybody, that he would kill my mom ... that she would not exist no more."
    oh, and a pedophile.

The biggest homophobes are gays in denial.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

well, maybe he wanted to be a catholic preist
    Monkey!!!

Comment

Why am I not surprised?
      "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
      "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
      "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

All this time gays have been blaming republicans for being anti gay, when in fact you had only yourselves to blame!

Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Hmmmm... a pedophile, and he's gay... I guess this supports the religious rights' view that gay people are dangerous
          Keep on Civin'
          RIP rah, Tony Bogey & Baron O

Comment

Irony be Yarrr and woo.
            "You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005

Comment

"I categorically deny allegations about incidents that supposedly occurred 24 years ago as alleged by two convicted felons and about which I have no knowledge,"

Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I think on the sexual prefference scale, there is a distinction between being gay and having sex with children....

Comment

Originally posted by Jaguar
                  Irony be Yarrr and woo.
                  that is enough of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Whoha

that is enough of that.
                    No.

"You're the biggest user of hindsight that I've ever known. Your favorite team, in any sport, is the one that just won. If you were a woman, you'd likely be a slut." - Slowwhand, to Imran

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                      I think on the sexual prefference scale, there is a distinction between being gay and having sex with children....
                      wow . . . . . .

you're smart
                      A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

MrFun!

Comment

Originally posted by Ming
                          Hmmmm... a pedophile, and he's gay... I guess this supports the religious rights' view that gay people are dangerous
                          It supports my view that republicans are dangerous.

I bet this guy was Catholic even.

Catholic Republicans are all homosexual pedophiles.
                          "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                          Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

It supports my view that republicans are dangerous.

I bet this guy was Catholic even.

Catholic Republicans are all homosexual pedophiles.
                            I don't think most republicans are catholic. At least not the fundamentalist ones. I would even venture to say that most fundies are Catholi-phobics (or whatever the term is).

Comment

Theres nothing better than seeing a right wing, gay-hating, anti-drug-campaigning family man be exposed as a raving homo coke head!

Comment

Working...
                              X