No announcement yet.

UK Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Agathon: What about the modified Sainte-Lague formula NZ uses having, in its nature, a bias toward smaller parties through its 1.4-3-5-7 dividing system?

Comment

• Well i'm pleasanty surprised. I didn't think the Liberals would make as many gains as they did.
      Still the no surprise is that Labour(and Tony for maybe another 5 years!) won, and the Torries didn't really mount a threat.

Democracy in this country has been streangthend imho, and with a vastly reduced majority new labour, we will be unlikely to see another Iraq type situation ever getting through for the remainder of Tony's time in power
      So in that respect one of my biggest fears has been addressed.

As a side note this is what the different parties roughly needed, votes wise, to gain the same seat.

New Labour = 24000 votes
      Conservatives= 40000 votes
      Liberals= 100000 votes

So as the biggest gainers this election with +11 new seats, you get some idea of just how many people(like myself) switched from New Labour to Liberals
      'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

• Originally posted by Provost Harrison

Looks like you kept your Tory MP too
        Technically, not too much of a problem. He's served as an MP for all three main parties, so I assume he's fairly centrist.
        One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
          Nice to see that Galloway won a seat. After all the lies that were printed about him, it's good to see the electorate saw through it.
          Yes, wonder why he chose the constituency he did, eh?
          One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin

Yes, wonder why he chose the constituency he did, eh?

Because he really, really cares about people killing Muslims. Unless it's Saddam Hussein killing them of course, in which case, he gets a handshake and fawning congratulations on being such an indefatigable Dear Leader.

Galloway: gallstones. Too similar for coincidence, I feel.
            Vive la liberte. Noor Inayat Khan, Dachau.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
              Not crack, just the sweet the thrill of victory. Three leaders ordered the invasion, three leaders re-elected All of the left's threats of electoral defeat for the coalitions have shown to add up to absolutely nothing!
              Considering all leaders live in very safe seats, I can't remember the last time a leader of *any* party lost his seat. And the leftosty coalitions have managed to get George Galloway elected, a far far less likely thing than deposing any of the main party leaders.

Moreover, the votes in utterly safe Tory seats, like Howard, don't usually care about things like the Iraq war.
              Smile
              For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
              But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• an article explaining in more detail just how a reduced majority for New Labour and Tony Blair would/could work out:

'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drogue

Considering all leaders live in very safe seats, I can't remember the last time a leader of *any* party lost his seat.

'Twas this election, and 'twas David Trimble.

...patriotism is not enough. I must have no hatred or bitterness towards anyone. Edith Cavell, 1915

Comment

• Alex Salmond?
                    Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Originally posted by molly bloom
                      'Twas this election, and 'twas David Trimble.
                      Sorry, should have said main party. I was just answering the point that it means absolutely nothing that Howard and Blair kept their seat, as there was never a chance of them losing it.
                      Smile
                      For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
                      But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• It would have been nice that if Thatcher would've hung on for a few more terms she would have had the pleasure of having her seat pulled from underneath her
                        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• I cant believe we lost Guildford

Pipped to the post by about 350 votes, so thats roughly a swing of ~800 votes I wish I had got my finger out and actually done something about it though

But good to see calls of 'two year Teather' were premature! I should have took Iain up on his bet
                          Safer worlds through superior firepower

Comment

• Originally posted by Drogue

Sorry, should have said main party.

Hmmm. Ramsay Macdonald springs to mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by our_man
                              edit....

It looks like we're going to have a bigot and a terrorist leading the two biggest parties in the North for the forseeable future.
                              Sadly i'll agree with you - Ian Paisley was spitting hate and bile this morning on tv
                              I've enjoyed all my visits to Ireland and i just dont think the people of Ireland need people like these to keep old wounds open and ultimately they will ensure the killing will continue
                              hopefully once this older generation have died out you can all have a deserved peace, as most younger people i've met have told me they are sick of all the troubles.

Comment

• Originally posted by child of Thor

Sadly i'll agree with you - Ian Paisley was spitting hate and bile this morning on tv

Aha- more recruits for Sinn Fein. You'd think Paisley would demand a finder's fee.....

Comment

Working...
                                X