UK Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UK Election Thread

It seems as there's no thread anywhere near the top few pages for this yet.

Today are the national (and a fair few local) elections in the UK. I guess the big questions are:

- How many seats will Labour lose? If they go below 90 or so seats majority, will it cost Tony's job?

- Will the Tories get 209 (the amount of seats Foot had in 1983, worst Labour performance during the Thatcher years), or keep hanging lower than that? Will they ever come back as a party that can challenge for the leadership?

- Will the improved exposure and increases in the polls for Lib Dems translate in a lot more seats? Or will the votes come in seats where they have impossible margins to overcome.

- Will the national parties (SNP, Plaid Cymru) do well?

It's not very easy to come up with answers to that, check back tomorrow.

And British party politics has never been the same for me anyway since the merry old days when Margaret Thatcher was at the wheel.

So I'll just limit myself to wishing the Brits a Happy Election day.

Comment

What's Plaid Cymru?
      Blah

Comment

Yeah, I bet you just adored Maggie didn't you Evil b*tch...is she dead yet?
        Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Originally posted by Provost Harrison
          Yeah, I bet you just adored Maggie didn't you
          Absolutely.

Comment

I voted this morning - Lib

Not really keen on all this tactical voting stuff - i prefer to vote for whom i believe is the best candidate.

Democracy is a very excellent thing, even if its not often perfect in its implimentation, its still seems 'right' to me when ever i cast my vote.

Democracy

Tony 'False smiles' Blair and his 'Neo(con)- labour'

Mike 'Poll Tax Dracula' Howard and the rascists

Last edited by child of Thor; May 5, 2005, 06:36.
            'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

And facism
              Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Voted at half eight this morning for Labour. However, I live in the safest Conservative seat in the whole country (William Hague, Richmond) and so it's doubtful that my vote is going to swing the election

As for the other questions:
                - How many seats will Labour lose? If they go below 90 or so seats majority, will it cost Tony's job?
                Not sure how many Labour will lose but I'm predicting a majority in the mid-to-high 90s. Blair will stay for 2-3 years as long as the majority doesn't fall much below 50.

- Will the Tories get 209 (the amount of seats Foot had in 1983, worst Labour performance during the Thatcher years), or keep hanging lower than that? Will they ever come back as a party that can challenge for the leadership?
                If the tories do get back over 200 (and this is by no means certain), won't be much over 209. Im predicting that they won't reach that figure. Looking further into the future - the current tory top brass wont ever be in power again. Look out for David Cameron & George Osbourne on election night - they're the future for the tories.

- Will the improved exposure and increases in the polls for Lib Dems translate in a lot more seats? Or will the votes come in seats where they have impossible margins to overcome.
                Liberals will increase their seats by around 15. However this may drop if the tories advance in liberal safe-seats which is a possibility. The Lib Dems may also take out some Conservative shadow cabinet ministers - David Davis, Theresa May and Oliver Letwin are all in reasonably close races with Lib Dems.

- Will the national parties (SNP, Plaid Cymru) do well?
                No. The SNP might even lose a seat to the tories.

Comment

Lightblue - you might even see a seat change hands where you are. Aren't the Lib Dems looking good in Cambridge?

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                    What's Plaid Cymru?
                    Its the party for those who can't spell/
                    Any views I may express here are personal and certainly do not in any way reflect the views of my employer. Tis the rising of the moon..

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?

Comment

Originally posted by BeBro
                      What's Plaid Cymru?
                      They're the Welsh National Party

Comment

Hmm, maybe. Campbell had a 20% majority last time around, but she's pissed off a fair few of constituents (by promising to vote agaisnt tuition fees and the iraq war, and then proceeding to do so anyway), so it'll be fairly close. Lib Dems took the council last year, I reckon they'll be pushing her close, but probably not quite close enough.

Comment

I'd like to see a fist fight between all three candidates, to decide who will rule

Tony could be quite handy, he seems well co-ordinated and fast moving, but maybe a little light on hit points.

Mike would be mostly useless, but he has that hypnotic evil power thing that would allow him to stay in the fight a little longer.

Charles would suffer if the fight went on for a longtime, but would be able to absorb lots of damage.

I can't call it but i feel the winner would be either Tony or Charles.
                          'The very basis of the liberal idea – the belief of individual freedom is what causes the chaos' - William Kristol, son of the founder of neo-conservitivism, talking about neo-con ideology and its agenda for you.info here. prove me wrong.

Bush's Republican=Neo-con for all intent and purpose. be afraid.

Comment

Originally posted by lightblue
                            Hmm, maybe. Campbell had a 20% majority last time around, but she's pissed off a fair few of constituents (by promising to vote agaisnt tuition fees and the iraq war, and then proceeding to do so anyway), so it'll be fairly close. Lib Dems took the council last year, I reckon they'll be pushing her close, but probably not quite close enough.
                            Yeah, I heard the candidate was pretty unpopular. I assume a lot of the backlash will come from the fact that there are so many students in Cambridge and that they are much more politically motivated/active than many other students.

Mike would be mostly useless, but he has that hypnotic evil power thing that would allow him to stay in the fight a little longer.
                            Howard could just turn into a bat and suck their blood.

Comment

Problem with a lot of students is that they're registered in their home seats, not Cambridge Central. Even then, the vote would probably be split Tory/Lib Dem anyway, it's not like say Manchester Univ where you could guarantee a 90% Labour vote.

In a fistfight I'd have to give the edge to Tony as well.. unless Charles lands a knock out punch early by throwing his weight behind his fist. Think Tony would break Michael Howard and he's probably fit enough to outlast Charles. Though maybe the stress would play on his heart. He could always send his champion, John "Two Jabs" Prescott, Charles Clarke could be a bruiser too.

Comment

Working...
                              X