No announcement yet.

UK Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The MP for Baghdad Central got a new seat.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

• It's nearly all over now...

I'd like to post this in a new thread, but I'm not too sure if it would be allowed, so I'll ask here - we've seen what's happened in the mainland UK; what do people think of the results in NI so far? It looks as though the UUP are finished as a political force; they've lost all their seats, except for North Down to the DUP. Trimble's lost his seat, he'll certainly be resigning.

Nationalist side of it; things are looking up a bit; the SDLP managed to capture Belfast South. Hopefully they can hold on to their existing seats against SF. Sadly it looks as though all the negative publicity within the past few months hasn't dented these thug's popularity.

It looks like we're going to have a bigot and a terrorist leading the two biggest parties in the North for the forseeable future.
      STDs are like pokemon... you gotta catch them ALL!!!

Comment

• Dolphin: Yeh, what a crock of sh!t.
        I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

• It should be pointed out now that all of the 3 leaders who participated in the initial invasion of Iraq with a serious contribution, Bush, Blair, and Howard, all 3 of them have been re-elected. All this in spite of angry protests from the left that those leaders who ordered this would all be defeated and swept from power, instead all three of them now remain.

Are you on crack?

Bush got elected because the majority of Americans are morons. Howard got elected for economic reasons.

Labour got elected in spite of Blair, and because the opposition Conservatives also supported the war. Most people want Blair out, but they don't want to inflict more years of Tory misrule on themselves.

Blair will probably go sooner rather than later because of this result.
          Only feebs vote.

Comment

• "Are you on crack?"

Not crack, just the sweet the thrill of victory. Three leaders ordered the invasion, three leaders re-elected All of the left's threats of electoral defeat for the coalitions have shown to add up to absolutely nothing!
            "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

• Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
              It should be pointed out now that all of the 3 leaders who participated in the initial invasion of Iraq with a serious contribution, Bush, Blair, and Howard, all 3 of them have been re-elected. All this in spite of angry protests from the left that those leaders who ordered this would all be defeated and swept from power, instead all three of them now remain.
              arent you leaving out Rasmussen, who was also reelected?
              "A person cannot approach the divine by reaching beyond the human. To become human, is what this individual person, has been created for.” Martin Buber

Comment

• Sure, so far I think the only real defeat for a coalition leader was in Spain, and the left needed an assist from Al Qaeda to accomplish that. But I was thinking mainly of the big 3 for the initial invasion.

Comment

• In order for the Brits to elect a PM who was against the war, they would have had to elect the Liberal Democrats to power. 3rd parties usually don't make such a jump.

With the Conservatives, the rank and file were more for the war than the Labor rank and file.
                  “I give you a new commandment, that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you also should love one another. By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.”
                  - John 13:34-35 (NRSV)

Comment

• As far as the North Irish votes, it seems sad that on the Unionist side they are all turning to extremism. Iain Paisley is a right-wing extremist and a known racist. The interesting thing will be seeing how many votes the SDLP and SF get compared to the UUP and DUP. With the greater birth rate among the Catholic population among NI compared to the Protestant population, it'll be interesting to see how much progress the Catholics are making due to birth rates.

Comment

• Agathon: The thing I don't like about MMP (and especially in a small parliament like NZ's) is that protest votes and protest parties which get 5% or whatever have a tendancy to play a HUGE role in coalition governments (which there almost always are). So, instead of staying true to the 40% or whatever of voters that voted for it, they have to do exactly what the 10% or whatever want and have to push their own agendas slightly back.

Had the Maori party been established in 2002, it would have been in coalition in Labour, and there is no chance the foreshore and Seabed legislation would have passed, merely because some 5% of voters voted for the Maori Party.

As James Madison said, in this format it's not the majority that gets the power, it is always the minority.

Comment

• The Scottish Parliament has a complicated electoral system combining first-past-the-post and regional PR. Each voter gets two votes, one for a local, named MSP, and one for a regional party.

It works OK. Smaller parties can easily break through via the PR, but also need to work hard at accumulating seats.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dauphin
                          The MP for Baghdad Central got a new seat.
                          Looks like you kept your Tory MP too
                          Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

• Agathon: The thing I don't like about MMP (and especially in a small parliament like NZ's) is that protest votes and protest parties which get 5% or whatever have a tendancy to play a HUGE role in coalition governments (which there almost always are). So, instead of staying true to the 40% or whatever of voters that voted for it, they have to do exactly what the 10% or whatever want and have to push their own agendas slightly back.

No they don't. The public won't stand for that. That's one of the reasons Peters got spanked in the 1999 election. There has been little of this kind of trouble since.

A party that frivolously brings down a reasonably popular government is signing its own death warrant.

Had the Maori party been established in 2002, it would have been in coalition in Labour, and there is no chance the foreshore and Seabed legislation would have passed, merely because some 5% of voters voted for the Maori Party.

There's nothing stopping the Labour party from peeling off a few votes from other interested parties in exchange for a few titbits. If not, Labour can bribe the Maori party.

As James Madison said, in this format it's not the majority that gets the power, it is always the minority.

Except that recent history proves you wrong. Peters tried to do exactly this and got spanked - as did the Mari Pacific cretins. Neither the Greens, the Alliance, Jim Anderton's Progressive Coalition (i.e. Jim Anderton) or United have messed around like this.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Nice to see that Galloway won a seat. After all the lies that were printed about him, it's good to see the electorate saw through it.
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• BNP > Plaid Cymru
                                www.my-piano.blogspot

Comment

Working...
                                X