UK Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Drogue
    Nope, a hung parliament would result in a minority government, as appointed by the Queen.
    Not in the UK. Hung parliaments result in new elections sooner rather than later. I wasnt saying it is constitutionally neccessary to have another election but minority governments dont work in the UK. They cant get the support for ANY election.

Labour would run the country as a minority government but there would be another election called ASAP.

Proportional representation
    With results like these, we would then see some BNP representatives.
    There would be, but who cares? A lot of the BNP increase in the vote is due to them convincing people that they're a moderate, pro-Britain party. As soon as they got into parliament,they would be exposed at the fascist, racist, xenophobic, bigot, f*ckers that they are.

Also, PR would result in a number of Green and Socialst parties winning, more than balancing out the far right.

Comment

• Originally posted by Verres
      Not necessarily. Didn't happen last time iirc (rather difficult seeing as how I wasnt alive).
      Happened in the 70s. Wilson led a minority Labour government, which only had a few more seats than the Tories. It doesn't have to happen like that though, true.
      Smile
      For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
      But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• Originally posted by Drogue

Happened in the 70s. Wilson led a minority Labour government, which only had a few more seats than the Tories. It doesn't have to happen like that though, true.
        When exactly are you talking about? 1974? In that case, there was another election called a few months later in October

Comment

• Seems like roughly a 3% swing from Labour to the Tories. But main issue being that the Tories have also lost votes - big gains for the Lib Dems, up 5% on those wards declared last time
          Yeah, labour has been taking lots of heavy losses in "safe labour" districts in the north with LD gaining.

There would be, that who cares? A lot of the BNP increase in the vote is due to them convincing people that they're a moderate, pro-Britain party. As soon as they got into parliament,they would be exposed at the fascist, racist, xenophobic, bigot, f*ckers that they are.
          Yes, which would mean that nobody would vote them next time around. Just imagine, BNP dying.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zulu Elephant
            Not in the UK. Hung parliaments result in new elections sooner rather than later. I wasnt saying it is constitutionally neccessary to have another election but minority governments dont work in the UK. They cant get the support for ANY election.

Labour would run the country as a minority government but there would be another election called ASAP.
            True, but that would be up to them, I think. They could run the country as a minority government, very ineffectively.

It probably would result in another election soon though.
            Smile

Comment

• I meant it wasnt appointed by the Queen. Heath resigned after trying to reach a comprimise....and another election was held later that year, as Zulu Elephant predicted this time round.
              Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

• Originally posted by Zulu Elephant
                When exactly are you talking about? 1974? In that case, there was another election called a few months later in October
                Yes. But there was still a minority government, that called the election a few months later.
                Smile

Comment

• Swing to the Tories of 7% in a pickup at Peterborough, this could be bad for Labour.
                  "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

• Originally posted by Verres
                    I meant it wasnt appointed by the Queen. Heath resigned after trying to reach a comprimise....and another election was held later that year, as Zulu Elephant predicted this time round.
                    That is true, except the Queen did appoint Wilson. In a hung parliament, it is up to the Queen to appoint the PM. Heath stayed until after the election a few months later.
                    Smile

Comment

• Google skills aside - I don't need you to tell me I'm correct Drogue. That was the previous election which I was talking about in the 1st place, the whole 'appointment by the queen' thing is no more than a formality these days.
                      Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

• Cons aren't gaining enough. In some wards, they're actually losing 5% of the vote for LD and BNP.

EDIT: Or, OTOH, it could mean that they have been concentrating on wards they could actually win. Newbury results: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/shared/vote2005/html/419.stm

Comment

• Yep Conservative vote is actually down, despite the Labour swing to them
                          Smile

Comment

• Birmingham Edgebaston held by Labour. Labour lose 6% but this is dispersed across all other parties, leaving them with a majority.

*praying that this is the norm across the country*

Comment

• Originally posted by VJ
                              Cons aren't gaining enough. In some wards, they're actually losing 5% of the vote for LD and BNP.

EDIT: Or, OTOH, it could mean that they have been concentrating on wards they could actually win.
                              Like Cheadle? Their #1 target seat that the Lib Dems hold. Newbury was a good gain, but I feel we'll see more in the other direction tonight
                              Smile

Comment

• Labour look set for a 60-70 seat majority, Lib Dems for vote gains but this translating into only 10 or so extra seats. Conservatives gain a lot.
                                Smile

Comment

Working...
                                X