UK Election Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Shi Huangdi
    This could be big news, in Putney the Tories retake the seat with a swing of 6%. If the Tories can get that swing in marginals nationwide, that could mean a hung parliament.
    Smaller swing to the liberals in this, the first marginal seat to be declared.

This is a 'natural' conservative seat - one of the real shock gains in '97 when labour came to power and one of the ones that (if the conservatives were going to gain ANY seats) the conservatives were going to win

Comment

• I don't think it's quite come to this yet, but im starting to think that a hung parliament would be better than a devastatingly low Labour majority.

Blair would go, there would be another election, probably in October and Labour would get back with a good majority due to a new, more popular leader (Brown) and the fact that Lib Dems would FINALLY realise what is at stake and come back over to labour (who would then not be led by a 'warmonger' in their eyes)

Comment

• There are alot of "natural" Tory seats that are in Labour hands currently.

Lib Dems get a positive Swing against the Tories in Southport, which bodes well for them.

As for a hung parliament, would a Labour/LibDem coalition be likely in that case?
        "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

• Wouldn't happen. Charles Kennedy already ruled it out. Hung parliament would be hung, none of the three main parties would enter a coalition with another.
          Smile
          For though he was master of the world, he was not quite sure what to do next
          But he would think of something

"Hm. I suppose I should get my waffle a santa hat." - Kuciwalker

Comment

• Miliband holds South Shields. I know it’s not significant but I used to work for him and I just want to declare a public congratulations.

A stunningly intelligent, witty and compassionate guy. The sort of MP that any party would be lucky to have

As for a hung parliament, would a Labour/LibDem coalition be likely in that case?
            Charles Kennedy is on record saying that he would not prop up a "Labour government in decline" and would not enter a coalition with them.

A hung parliament would result in another election later this year and would be a knightmare for the Liberals. Labour would surge back, regaining huge swathes of Liberal Democrat protest votes under a new leader (likely to be Gordon Brown) who would be untarnished by Iraq.

Comment

• Labour currently have less than 50% of the votes....but still a huge majority when it comes to seats I have said it before and I'll say it again: proportional representation is the only way to go.
              Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

• Nope, a hung parliament would result in a minority government, as appointed by the Queen.
                Smile

Comment

• Proportional representation
                  With results like these, we would then see some BNP representatives.

EDIT: notice the edit.

Comment

• What is it about Labour wards declaring early? 56 vs 3 vs 3.
                    Smile

Comment

• They've Americanized teh results: the self-proclaimed "political experts" declare the results of areas before votes have even been counted yet.

Remember, the network which has the results earlier than other networks gets better ratings.

Comment

• Originally posted by VJ
                        Proportional representation
                        With results like these, we would then see some BNP representatives.
                        And a couple of Greens
                        Smile

Comment

• Originally posted by Drogue
                          Nope, a hung parliament would result in a minority government, as appointed by the Queen.
                          Not necessarily. Didn't happen last time iirc (rather difficult seeing as how I wasnt alive).
                          Desperados of the world, unite. You have nothing to lose but your dignity.......

Comment

• Exit polls show Labour retaining a 66 seat majority...
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

• I saw the BNP got 5% in Blackburn, they have also gotten significant shares of the vote in other places. Are there really so many Nazis in Britain?
                              "I'm moving to the Left" - Lancer

"I imagine the neighbors on your right are estatic." - Slowwhand

Comment

• Seems like roughly a 3% swing from Labour to the Tories. But main issue being that the Tories have also lost votes - big gains for the Lib Dems, up 5% on those wards declared last time
                                Smile

Comment

Working...
                                X