No announcement yet.

Google Web Accelerator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's looking like this still may have some bugs to work out - another forum is reporting that while using this they're getting other people's cached PM boxes and stuff.

D:

Comment

Hmmmm...this sounds like the world's biggest proxy server then.

That sounds kinda scary!
      We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

This sounds like a very useless product

"Sending your page requests through Google machines dedicated to handling Google Web Accelerator traffic."

Useless. Google is fast enough as it is.

Storing copies of frequently looked at pages to make them quickly accessible.

Ordinary proxies do this.

Downloading only the updates if a web page has changed slightly since you last viewed it.

Prefetching certain pages onto your computer in advance.

I pay for traffic! Terrible idea.

Managing your Internet connection to reduce delays.

What?

Compressing data before sending it to your computer.

There already is hardware compression built into the modem(s).

So all in all, not a big improvement, lots of security issues and so on.

Comment

Wow a proxy server..... this must be what the world has been waiting for!

There already is hardware compression built into the modem(s).
          I guess this should just mean that they support gzip compression.

Comment

It sounds like a new twist on spyware where Google have managed to get people to willingly install it.

Google spyware.
            There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Somehow I doubt Google would release anything useless. They seem too professional..

5.8 seconds saved! Woot!
              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Originally posted by Tattila the Hun
                Somehow I doubt Google would release anything useless. They seem too professional..

5.8 seconds saved! Woot!
                Oh, it's certainly not useless... but it's use may not be what you think it is.
                Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

It says designed for broadband, weird. Can it really make pages load faster if I have a connection starting from 1.5 Mbit to 2 Mbit down? I'm weary.
                  Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                  I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

The vast majority of web servers cannot and do not allocate 1.5 to 2 Mbit of bandwidth to each user.

If the website has an upload speed of 10KB/s to each user (if it's overloaded, for instance), you'll still get 10KB/s from it with 1.5 to 2Mbit.

With the accelerator, you'd get 1.5 to 2Mbit.
                    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

So, in other words, Google is trying to neutralize the Slashdot effect.
                      Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Or, in other other words, google caches everything you view and do, and lets anyone else who uses the program access it.
                        Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

I bit the bullet and am installing. At least it downloaded instantly .
                          Solver, WePlayCiv Co-Administrator
                          I can kill you whenever I please... but not today. - The Cigarette Smoking Man

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                            Or, in other other words, google caches everything you view and do, and lets anyone else who uses the program access it.
                            Those claims haven't been substantiated, and I'd be very, very surprised if they were true or even theoretically possible.

It doesn't cache secure HTTP (https) or any sites you add to the exclude list.
                            "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

It does, however, cache pages on forums and stuff.

So if a bunch of Apolyton people installed it and then started browsing, there's the chance that you'd get a cached version of someone else's PM box - you wouldn't be able to do anything with it, but you'd still be able to see it.

Comment

I was under the impression that it only cached static pages?

Comment

Working...
                                X