• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Try telling my wife that UR.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Qilue

Perhaps because we are constantly assaulted with images where sluts are more attractive.

Here's a challenge, next time you're walking down the street, instead of looking at the woman in sexy clothing, try looking at the woman who is conservatively dressed.
      i look at all women. yeah I know, it's not very feminist to get visual pleasure from seeing women. But I can't deny what I am. Sure I may think nasty thoughts about women, but I always treat them with respect.

Comment

Diss

If I didn't look at women that are conservatively dressed, I'd have never been with my wife.

Comment

sure the slutty clothes turn your head faster, but I do find myself looking at women I actually think I have a shot with more. And they tend to be dressed more conservatively.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
            Diss

If I didn't look at women that are conservatively dressed, I'd have never been with my wife.
            I didn't know you found her in the US
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I didn't. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Maybe you should try to bleed profusely for several days each month for several decades.

For an estimated 6 to 12 years added to my life? Sure.

The way the media often tries to portray women as objects, pisses me off. Nothing is sexier then a big brain.

Skinny women turn me off, go eat a sandiwch calista flockheart.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
                  I didn't. Why?
                  AFAIK, women don't dress any way but conservatively in the Philippines.
                  (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

Originally posted by Vesayen
                    For an estimated 6 to 12 years added to my life? Sure.
                    Why do you think a longer life is better?

Comment

"AFAIK, women don't dress any way but conservatively in the Philippines."

I concede the point.

Comment

historical moment recorded for posterity:

Lancer conceded a point
                        A lot of Republicans are not racist, but a lot of racists are Republican.

Comment

Originally posted by Qilue

No, it's because that's what men expect from a woman.
                          So they pay the price for modeling their own behaviour on what they think an abstract monolith (which in fact does not exist as such ) expects of them .

Comment

Originally posted by Boris Godunov

So why is it women, on average, still get a lot less pay for the same work as their male counterparts?
                            It isn't true. Same job, same time in grade, same pay in a vast majority of cases. The reason that women make less money on average than men is because they often don't do the same work (blue collar men die many times more often on the job for instance, and are compensated for their increased chance at accidental injury or death to some extent compared to blue collar women) or they don't do it as much (maternity leave, working part time to care for children etc.).

This sometimes leads to family women being "tracked" and missing out on promotions which IMO is discrimination when done pre-emptively and sometimes reasonable in instances where the part time work or leave is concurrent with the decision on the promotion. I've been working (officially) for 27 years now, and more than half of my supervisors have been women.
                            He's got the Midas touch.
                            But he touched it too much!
                            Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

It's perfectly reasonable.

I will not work on Shabbat for religious reasons.

It would be unfair if I expected employers to hire me, regardless of the fact. Even though I don't see it as a choice, ultimatley it is. My choice gets in the way of the job.

If you want a career where the requirments are consistant work and non kid friendly hours, don't have kids.

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander

It isn't true. Same job, same time in grade, same pay in a vast majority of cases. The reason that women make less money on average than men is because they often don't do the same work (blue collar men die many times more often on the job for instance, and are compensated for their increased chance at accidental injury or death to some extent compared to blue collar women) or they don't do it as much (maternity leave, working part time to care for children etc.).

This sometimes leads to family women being "tracked" and missing out on promotions which IMO is discrimination when done pre-emptively and sometimes reasonable in instances where the part time work or leave is concurrent with the decision on the promotion. I've been working (officially) for 27 years now, and more than half of my supervisors have been women.
                                women do get less pay in white collar jobs where you negotiate you pay in the interview process. theories are they just aren't willing to be forceful and demand better pay. You really have to be aggressive in getting the pay you deserve.

This is a product of the whole interview process, and it's sad that women get paid much less than men.

Comment

Working...
                                X