Defense: (Pfc. Lynndie) England Oxygen-Deprived at Birth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defense: (Pfc. Lynndie) England Oxygen-Deprived at Birth

Next they'll be telling us the Devil made her do it...

What the hell do learning disabilities and illiteracy have to do with knowing Right from Wrong?

By T.A. BADGER, Associated Press Writer 22 minutes ago

FORT HOOD, Texas - Defense lawyers sought leniency for Pfc. Lynndie England at a hearing Tuesday to determine her punishment in the Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal, with a psychologist testifying that the reservist was oxygen-deprived at birth, speech impaired and had trouble learning to read.

West Virginia school psychologist Dr. Thomas Denne — the first defense witness — said England's learning disabilities were identified when she was a kindergartner — and though she made progress in school, she continued needing special help.

"I knew I was going to know Lynndie England for the rest of my life," West Virginia school psychologist Dr. Thomas Denne said.

A military jury of five men and one woman was seated earlier Tuesday to make a sentencing recommendation for England, 22, who pleaded guilty Monday to seven counts of mistreating prisoners.

England accepted responsibility for the smiling, thumbs-up poses she struck for photographs taken at Abu Ghraib that made her the face of the prisoner abuse scandal.

The charges carry up to 11 years in prison. Prosecutors and the defense reached an agreement that caps the sentence at a lesser punishment; the length was not released. She will get the lesser of the military jury's sentence or the term agreed on in the plea bargain.

Prosecutor Capt. Chris Graveline told jurors in opening statements that England and a half-dozen other soldiers in the 372nd Military Police Company took great pleasure in humiliating the prisoners. The prosecution rested its sentencing case without calling any witnesses.

Graveline said England and Pvt. Charles Graner Jr. — the abuse ringleader and the father of England's child — knew it was wrong to mistreat the detainees and take the photos, "but they did it anyway for their own amusement." Graner is scheduled to testify for the defense.

In one of the photos, England held a leash looped around the neck of a hooded, naked prisoner. Another showed her next to nude prisoners stacked in a pyramid, while a third depicted England pointing at a prisoner's genitals as a cigarette dangled from her lips.

When asked by judge Col. James Pohl whether England knew right from wrong, Denne said she had a compliant personality and tended to listen to authority figures.

On Monday, England told Pohl that she initially resisted taking part in the abuse at the Baghdad prison, but that she succumbed to peer pressure.

"I had a choice, but I chose to do what my friends wanted me to," she said.

Graner was convicted in January on abuse charges and is serving a 10-year prison sentence. Four other Abu Ghraib guards and two low-level military intelligence officers have entered guilty pleas in connection with the scandal, with sentences ranging from no time to 8 1/2 years. Spc. Sabrina Harman, a former Abu Ghraib guard, is scheduled to go to trial at Fort Hood next week.
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Whatever works.
    Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

She should be oxygen deprived for a bit longer - about 8 hours methinks
      Speaking of Erith:

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith

Comment

Why didn't they just tell them she was trailer trash?
        Only feebs vote.

Comment

It's good to see these people are actually judged, and condemned.

However, I wonder to what extent they're highly responsible, and to what extent they're scapegoats.
          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

That England chick seems like a case of diminished responsibility if ever there was one. Word is that she set herself up as target practice for the whole regiment.
            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Isn't it great that the US army will let people like this in?

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                However, I wonder to what extent they're highly responsible, and to what extent they're scapegoats.
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Isn't it great that the US army will let people like this in?

You think people like Kuci or Jaguar would enlist? \

Will Wheaton to the rescue!!!
                  Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Spiffor
                    It's good to see these people are actually judged, and condemned.

When I was a Police Officer and arrested or ticketed someone, I would have to listen to the old "Dont you have better things to do" routine speech..

I would tell them if they were not breaking the law then they would not be charged.

She was wrong and she should pay. Period.

Abuse is wrong.
                    Period.

Is there perhaps someone up the chain aslo involved?

absolutely and they should all be held accountable.

If someone in charge did nothing and was aware then they should be charged.

If someone was in charge and failed to execute the duties of their office indeed they should be charged.

As an American I am ashamed this went on.

Is this being done by other countries? perhaps..but doesnt give us the right.

I know a lawyers job is to defend of prosecute depending but for real one of the problems with our system is a good lawyer,the right jury and the right witness and that old picture can be painted just right and in the right light will sell for a son..

shame when a guilty party gets away

fortuately this wont

Gramps
                    Hi, I'm RAH and I'm a Benaholic.-rah

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                      Word is that she set herself up as target practice for the whole regiment.
                      At the risk of sounding naive, what does that mean?
                      Have a link to the source?
                      "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                      "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                      2004 Presidential Candidate
                      2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I thought she was pregnant by one of the other guys in her unit.

huh huh he said "unit"
                        We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Oh.
                          "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                          "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                          2004 Presidential Candidate
                          2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

I just hope the presiding judge recognizes this for the lame defense move it is.
                            The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Originally posted by Vince278

At the risk of sounding naive, what does that mean?
                              Have a link to the source?
                              Either livefire practice, carrying around a big buls-eye, or she couldn't/wouldn't keep her pants on. Both things are possible.

Can't seem to remember, if she is particularly atractive or not... But I quess, after long enogh time, you'd bang a monkey, if it was female.

(Note, "you", not "me". )
                              I've allways wanted to play "Russ Meyer's Civilization"

Comment

Working...
                              X