Creationism vs. Evolution: Kansas in Spotlight Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Spiffor
    I actually still can't believe that there are still people who don't acknowledge evolution, considering taht there is a bug today that feeds on Nylon, an artificial material that came into existence only a few decades ago.
    Or that Russian inmates are dying from drug-resistant Turberculosis.

Comment

• Then again, the creationists probably think drug-resistant diseases are a punishment from God.

Comment

• Gotta teach'em Rooskies
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

Gotta teach'em Rooskies
          The scary thing is this drug resistant TB strain can spread quickly.
          (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
          (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
          (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

I actually still can't believe that there are still people who don't acknowledge evolution, considering taht there is a bug today that feeds on Nylon, an artificial material that came into existence only a few decades ago.
            That's a good bug to have, I wonder if the scientists are going to evolve more microbes that can munch on other synthetic materials.
            (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
            (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by Urban Ranger

That's a good bug to have, I wonder if the scientists are going to evolve more microbes that can munch on other synthetic materials.
              They have oil-eating microbes that clean up oil spills, but I think those are unmodified bacteria that live around natural oil seeps. In NE Minnesota they use chemoautotrophic bacteria to extract copper and heavey metals from thier ores, very cool. If there is a energy source, chances are that bacteria have already found it. I hope we get some plasitic-eaters, it would sure help clean up the landfills.

Comment

And science is a human view of this universe, that is dependent on method, and that is dependent on the feeble human mind.

There is no reason to believe that the universal reality can be covered by science, just like there is no reason to believe that the universal reality can be covered by religions (what religions claim). Science is a simplification of reality. It is not THE reality.

Many scientists should know better than to put as much faith in science as the religionists put in their god.
                Yep
                We need seperate human-only games for MP/PBEM that dont include the over-simplifications required to have a good AI
                If any man be thirsty, let him come unto me and drink. Vampire 7:37
                Just one old soldiers opinion. E Tenebris Lux. Pax quaeritur bello.

Comment

• So how about those Christian Scientists who refuse medical treatment for their children? Would you pity a child that dies because of his parents' beliefs?

I'd pity them. Which is why if the child dies, the parents should be thrown in the slammer.

If so, you should still pity the kid who will have to go to school with this claptrap.

Quite frankly, if the kids are hearing this and the parents don't like it, they should be trying harder to get their message heard, or leave.

This whole issue is a fight over "indoctrination" of children. The fundies think (wrongly) that science curriculum with evolution indoctrinates kids to atheism and immoral lifestyles. They want to indoctrinate kids into anti-science and religiosity. I don't think it's ever a good idea to let a public school be a place where this happens.

I don't think it's a good place either, to let this happen. However, I just don't see why Kansas going down the tubes means Illinois, civilized Atlanta, New York, and California are somehow going to be victimized by this claptrap.

Sure, it'd be nice to have Kansas join the modern world, sure, it'd be nice to have these fundies understand how idiotic they really are... but pick your battles. And frankly, I'm sick and tired of having to deal with idiocy. Fundamentalists aren't interested in debate. They're not interested in compromise. They're not interested in hearing anything other than their twisted belief of the Truth that is from the Good Book from the Word of God. There's only so much you can argue with Ned/Fez/Agathon/Asher before you throw up your arms in disgust, and let them think whatever the **** they want.

Seal them off in their own little Gaza, and when they're ready to join the real world, welcome them.

It's the entire prodigal son business. Let the wayward sons of Kansas carry on and ruin their lives.
                  B♭3

Comment

• If I'm not wrong, Texas is quite high on the list in joining this madness.
                    With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Frankly, the only state in the south I'd shed a tear losing to this madness is Georgia. And that's only 'cause it's on my mind, what with being born there and all.

And the fact that Atlanta's there. It could be the Lost City of Atlanta, what with Coca-Cola...
                      B♭3

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat
                        If I'm not wrong, Texas is quite high on the list in joining this madness.
                        Yup, the Creationists won't stop untill they have outlawed all science. Q3 thinks it will not infect elsewere, it will, and it is. I think the best way to stop this isto make any diploma given in a school district that gives in to these Fundies invalid. When thier kids are trated like high-school drop-outs they will change thier mind really fast.

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara

You're thinking of Lysenko, and he didn't almost destroy the country. His theories just set back Soviet agricultural science for a while.
                          Yep, thats the name. I may have exaggerated a bit, but for almost 35 years his word was law in soviet science, and I think ha did a lot of damage in that period.

With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Creationism and Fundamentalism is like Communi Terrorism. You can't fight it everywhere, because it's an infectious and insidious weed.

The best you can do is contain it, refuse it a hold where modern societies live.

When their systems, when their lives implode upon themselves, they will have only their twisted beliefs to blame, and they'll see the light.
                            Last edited by Q Classic; May 4, 2005, 14:43.
                            B♭3

Comment

• I actually still can't believe that there are still people who don't acknowledge evolution, considering taht there is a bug today that feeds on Nylon, an artificial material that came into existence only a few decades ago.

What about people who are almost complete sceptics?
                              Only feebs vote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                                Creationism and Fundamentalism is like Communi Terrorism. You can't fight it everywhere, because it's an infectious and insidious weed.

The best you can do is contain it, refuse it a hold where modern societies live.

When their systems, when their lives implode upon themselves, they will have only their twisted beliefs to blame, and they'll see the light.
                                Nope, that is the way it absolutely NOT should be handled.

The real effective treatment is to draw them out into the ligth and expose their stupidity.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

Working...
                                X