Creationism vs. Evolution: Kansas in Spotlight Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by BlackCat

The real effective treatment is to draw them out into the ligth and expose their stupidity.
    Thats hard when Joe Shmoe is not educated enough to understand.

Comment

• Originally posted by Odin

Thats hard when Joe Shmoe is not educated enough to understand.
      It works fine with the "godwins" here - they don't have a chance even amongst those stupid enough to maybe join them.
      With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by chegitz guevara
        You're thinking of Lysenko, and he didn't almost destroy the country. His theories just set back Soviet agricultural science for a while.
        Given that the Soviet Union had mass starvation, I wouldn't say "just" set back their agricultural science

Comment

• Originally posted by Kuciwalker

Given that the Soviet Union had mass starvation, I wouldn't say "just" set back their agricultural science
          It's a *****, but I has to agree with Che - Lysenko wasn't to blame for the primary starvation caused by the collectivisation, that was Stalins job - he tried to use Lysenko to easen up this little blunder.
          With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• I understand that it still would have happened, but his theories definately didn't help.

Comment

I understand that it still would have happened, but his theories definately didn't help.
              Quite right, and the funny thing is that ID/creationists are trying to do the same thing in US and actually has some kind of succes.

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• The difference is, in the US the farmers and agricorporations will watch their bottom line and ignore the fundies

Comment

The difference is, in the US the farmers and agricorporations will watch their bottom line and ignore the fundies
                  Yup, if they control the legslation, but what if they don't ?

Steven Weinberg

Comment

• Originally posted by Q Cubed
                    Creationism and Fundamentalism is like Communi Terrorism. You can't fight it everywhere, because it's an infectious and insidious weed.
                    It's not everywhere. Amongst developed countries, Creationism is only a problem in the US.
                    (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                    (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                    (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

• Originally posted by BlackCat
                      Yup, if they control the legslation, but what if they don't ?
                      Huh? I meant that those particular people won't stop using evolution (more specifically, biotech) whatever the fundies do.

Comment

• The problem is that the creationists have taken their licks in debates in the past, so they've studied the opposition, practiced, and learned what works in a debate. ..........They've evolved! If you or someone else want to face off against them then someone is going to have to study their tactics, learn their talking points and develop effective counterpoints, even if, yes, that means developing counterpoints acceptable to a layman.
                        "I say shoot'em all and let God sort it out in the end!

Comment

AFAIK, Lysenko made his ruckus after WW2, and thus after the famines. The USSR's agricultural output continued to be insufficient, and plenty of resources were wasted because of him (colonization attempts in Siberia, that his proletarian science said would become viable, silencing/killing sensible scientists), but Lysenkism was neither the cause nor the corollary of mass starvation.
                          "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
                          "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
                          "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

• He did it starting in the mid to late 30s, at the tail end of the famines.
                            12-17-10 Mohamed Bouazizi NEVER FORGET
                            Stadtluft Macht Frei
                            Killing it is the new killing it
                            Ultima Ratio Regum

Comment

• Originally posted by Agathon
                              As UR pointed out, it's a sham court. There's no reason reputable scientists should give a shred of credibility to this farce. Doing so is degrading to science, and will just make the quacks on the KS schoolboard look legitimate.

Maybe not. The Scopes trial was a big win for reason in the end.
                              As it was contrived to be from the outset.
                              When all else fails, blame brown people. | Hire a teen, while they still know it all. | Trump-Palin 2016. "You're fired." "I quit."

Comment

• I'm reading that What's the Matter with Kansas? book.

IMHO the Dems should just let the Repugs have their way on everything until these retards have voted themselves out of existence.

How can people be so stupid?
                                Only feebs vote.

Comment

Working...
                                X