The iPod is dead. Long live the iPod.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The iPod is dead. Long live the iPod.

Well, not dead but starting to be absorbed into mobile phones. The mobile killed the landline (more mobile phones on the planet than landline phones), is killing the PDA (smartphone sales are up while PDA ones are dropping), has knives out for the digital camera and is now about to take on the personal music player.

New Nokia cellphone to challenge MP3 players

A cellphone that can store as much music as Apple's popular iPod Mini MP3 player will be launched by Nokia later in 2005.

The move follows Sony-Ericsson's unveiling in March of a music-storing "Walkman" phone and marks another nail in the coffin for pure MP3 players. Cellphone makers are betting that people will prefer to carry one gadget rather than two.

Like the basic iPod Mini, Nokia's new phone incorporates a diminutive 4-gigabyte hard disc drive capable of storing at least 3000 music tracks. By comparison the first Walkman phone - the W800, also to be released later in 2005 - will store about 150 tracks on a 0.5 gigabyte flash-memory card.

"But users can buy their own 2 gigabyte memory cards and store almost 1000 songs," says a Sony-Ericsson spokesman. "And remember this is only the first Walkman phone, we will be launching more with greater storage."

Apple has already struck a deal with US phone and chip maker Motorola to jointly create an "iPod phone" capable of interfacing easily with Apple's iTunes music purchasing and track management service, but the relationship has yet to bear fruit.
    Hard-disc jockeying

Nokia's N91 phone was launched in Amsterdam in the Netherlands on Wednesday, where vice-president of multimedia, Anssi Vanjoki described it as a "connected mobile jukebox".

A version with a 3G connection will be available to allow the wireless downloading of music - an approach proving popular in Japan - while the standard GSM phone will use a computer and USB connection. Like the Sony-Ericsson W800, the N91 has a 2-megapixel camera built in.

Hard disc drives are being incorporated into small-scale consumer products very rapidly, thanks to research - carried out by firms like Hitachi and Samsung which is shrinking disc size.

But there are disadvantages. The spinning discs make for increasingly power-hungry gadgets, notes Carl Franklin, technology analyst with the stockbroker Bridgewell Securities in London, UK. "Once your phone is running a hard drive your battery lifetime could suffer. That's going to be a major challenge for Nokia's engineers."
    “Active working time”

In early tests, Vanjoki says the N91 gave five hours of "active working time", with the phone, music and camera functions frequently used. "Old terms like ‘standby’ power and ’talk time’ are just not applicable concepts anymore because the phones are doing too many other things," he adds.

Sony's W800, based on flash memory - which has no moving parts - offers between 15 and 30 hours of battery life, depending on how often the phone and music player are used simultaneously.

The N91 was one of three multimedia-heavy phones launched by Nokia, all of which stick with the Symbian Series 60 smartphone operating system. One of the other handsets - the N90 - uses a Carl Zeiss lens to improve the quality of camera images users.
    All hail the mobile phone. The borg of the gadget world.
    Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
    -Richard Dawkins

Everything I hate compacted into one small conveniant, and extrmely annoying gadget.
    Rethink Refuse Reduce Reuse

Do It Ourselves

Comment

You will be assimilated.
      Exult in your existence, because that very process has blundered unwittingly on its own negation. Only a small, local negation, to be sure: only one species, and only a minority of that species; but there lies hope. [...] Stand tall, Bipedal Ape. The shark may outswim you, the cheetah outrun you, the swift outfly you, the capuchin outclimb you, the elephant outpower you, the redwood outlast you. But you have the biggest gifts of all: the gift of understanding the ruthlessly cruel process that gave us all existence [and the] gift of revulsion against its implications.
      -Richard Dawkins

Comment

Re: The iPod is dead. Long live the iPod.

Originally posted by Starchild
        Well, not dead but starting to be absorbed into mobile phones. The mobile killed the landline (more mobile phones on the planet than landline phones), is killing the PDA (smartphone sales are up while PDA ones are dropping), has knives out for the digital camera and is now about to take on the personal music player.
        The thing is, other than being a phone, a mobile is poor at doing anything else. PDA? Barely. Digital camera? Don't make me laugh.
        (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
        (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
        (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Apple's version of the Ipod phone was turned down by the big phone carriers Cingular,Verizon, etal.

The deals were squashed as the cellular companies want to sell the music as downloads for $$$$$ while Apple wants it for $0.99/tune off itunes store IIRC.

Here's hoping that T-Mobile picks it up.
          "Just puttin on the foil" - Jeff Hanson

“In a democracy, I realize you don’t need to talk to the top leader to know how the country feels. When I go to a dictatorship, I only have to talk to one person and that’s the dictator, because he speaks for all the people.” - Jimmy Carter

Comment

A cellphone that can store as much music as Apple's popular iPod Mini MP3 player will be launched by Nokia later in 2005.
            You mean you don't already have those

The thing is, other than being a phone, a mobile is poor at doing anything else. PDA? Barely. Digital camera? Don't make me laugh.
            Hmmmm, my fiance's cell has a video camera that works quite well, and then there's the new models coming out here that work even better.
            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by Bosh
              Hmmmm, my fiance's cell has a video camera that works quite well, and then there's the new models coming out here that work even better.
              I guess "quite well" is relative Though it doesn't have anything remotely close to one of these Lumix cameras, with a Leica lens.
              (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
              (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
              (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Starchild
                The mobile killed the landline (more mobile phones on the planet than landline phones)
                Until a desptop computer and a broadband connection is small enough to fit into the pocket of a tight pair of jeans, the landline will be very much alive.
                There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Here's a list of the best smartphones you can buy right now, as chosen by Engadget editors.

Samsung's had one for a while.

Sure, it's not 10GB, but still.
                  B♭3

Comment

I'll clarify.

Until someone builds a mobile phone that can play WoW and fit into your pocket, then I'll believe the landline is dead.
                    There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

Originally posted by Qilue
                      I'll clarify.

Until someone builds a mobile phone that can play WoW and fit into your pocket, then I'll believe the landline is dead.
                      The landline in on its last legs over here. In none of my last three apartments was there even a phone jack let alone a landline...
                      Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Originally posted by General Ludd
                        Everything I hate compacted into one small conveniant, and extrmely annoying gadget.
                        I can never find that damn all-in-one remote control.
                        "And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you—ask what you can do for your country. My fellow citizens of the world: ask not what America will do for you, but what together we can do for the freedom of man." -- JFK Inaugural, 1961
                        "Extremism in the defense of liberty is not a vice." -- Barry Goldwater, 1964 GOP Nomination acceptance speech (not George W. Bush 40 years later...)
                        2004 Presidential Candidate
                        2008 Presidential Candidate (for what its worth)

Comment

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

I guess "quite well" is relative Though it doesn't have anything remotely close to one of these Lumix cameras, with a Leica lens.
                          Works well enough for my students to regale me with videos of their dogs peeing on the floor
                          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Re: Re: The iPod is dead. Long live the iPod.

Originally posted by Urban Ranger

Yes, because better technology will never be developed. Maybe in your country.
                            “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                            "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

POPIN' AIN'T EASY!!!!

oops wrong thread
                              We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution. - Abraham Lincoln

Comment

Working...
                              X