No announcement yet.

Hubble celebrates 15th aniversary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think that a new telescope would necessarily get the money formerly assigned to the Hubble repair job.

I think we should maintain it, until we get a replacement up and running.
    "Beware of the man who works hard to learn something, learns it, and finds himself no wiser than before. He is full of murderous resentment of people who are ignorant without having come by their ignorance the hard way. "
    -Bokonon

Comment

Couldn't possibly afford it unless we could somehow get Lefty involved.
      Long time member @ Apolyton
      Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
        no

it is just if an old peice of equpiment is taking all my money, than it needs to be gotten rid of to open up for new equpiment

same reason why the shuttle needs retired

JM
        The costs of keeping Hubble up are not coming from its replacement. In fact, if they de-orbited the ISS and kept Hubble going (and yes, Hubble will continue to answer important questions even as scientists await a more capable replacement) everybody wins.

Right now, the most vital questions of cosmology can only be investigated with the HST, and a four or five year delay in answering those questions will mean many times that many years of delay in understanding the cosmos, because scientists who would have gone into cosmology will go into other fields. They simply cannot do much postdoc work without scientific investigation and new information. A portion of a generation of cosmologists will be lost, and that will take time to recover from.

In the big scheme o' things, that really does not matter, but then again in the BSo'T not much realy does.

I justbwould like to have as much of my curiousity about the universe resolved before I kick the bucket as I can. Selfish, I know.
        The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
        - A. Lincoln

Comment

The HST still produces data, while the ISS has been whittled into uselessness.

Save the Hubble, and burn the ISS.
          No, I did not steal that from somebody on Something Awful.

Comment

Originally posted by The Mad Monk
            The HST still produces data, while the ISS has been whittled into uselessness.

Save the Hubble, and burn the ISS.
            Read this, people, and recognize genius in your midst.
            The dogmas of the quiet past, are inadequate to the stormy present. The occasion is piled high with difficulty…we will be remembered in spite of ourselves… The fiery trial through which we pass, will light us down, in honor or dishonor, to the last generation… We shall nobly save, or meanly lose, the last best hope of earth.
            - A. Lincoln

Comment

New and better telescopes can be deployed for the same cost as each reservcing mission. Of course, that doesn't mean we have that many telescopes to put in orbit. I think until we can start tossing a couple telescopes up a year we keep this one. Time slots on Hubble are extremely limited as it is.
              Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

I agree with Jon. I would support a new telescope, but a funding wedge has to be available from existing funds to pay for it. To do a repair mission for Hubble and a new telescope at the same time is an attempt to "double dip" by the astronomers and gain funding territory. It's nothing more than a bureaucratic gambit.
                I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

On one of the Discovery channels last night they had a program about repairing the Hubble. The brought up the fact that recent telescopes cost about .67 billion to launch, which is the same amount that it costs to repair the Hubble. Orbital telescope technology is getting much cheaper.

My point about there being not enough time for all the research that needs to be done, however, remains. Why bring the Hubble down when it still works? Why not keep it running until we have enough telescopes in orbit that it no longer makes economic sense to keep it aloft?
                  Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Well, if it continues to work, then keeping it up is no problem. But it's not expected to work after a couple of years. Eventually, you need to deorbit the telescope safely into the ocean.

I would encourage people not to get hung up on nostalgia for the past and to plan and to build bigger, better new telescopes. The Hubble has given us over a decade of good astronomy and it has whetted our appetites for the new and improved. We can build and launch much bigger mirrors nowadays.

Just a couple weeks ago, an extrasolar planet was observed directly for the first time. That should give us plenty of impetus to be curious about planets of Earth size or smaller. As much as I like Hubble, if servicing it would delay satiating my curiosity for more than a couple of moments, I would opt not to service it.
                    Last edited by DanS; April 27, 2005, 22:34.
                    I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                    X