X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hubble celebrates 15th aniversary

Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

/me waits for the fireworks as Hubble is deorbited...
    The cake is NOT a lie. It's so delicious and moist.

The Weighted Companion Cube is cheating on you, that slut.

Comment

Such an old and outdated piece of equpiment. It needs replaced.

Jon Miller
      Jon Miller-
      I AM.CANADIAN
      GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

And is planned to be by the end of the decade, but until then it can still gather useful data.

Comment

It takes money to keep it up though. Honestly I would rather that money went to new equipment. Now if we had the option of that money being used for Hubble or for Pork for Senators I would want it used for Hubble of course.

Jon Miller
          Jon Miller-
          I AM.CANADIAN
          GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

I may be mistaken (I was already corrected in the solar panel thread), but isn't the Hubble's replacement already under construction? I would think it would have to be in order to be ready for a 2009-11 launch. Don't scientific probes/satellites usually take about a decade to build?

Comment

They take a while. I think a decade is a bit long, but I don't know that much on the details.

Jon Miller
              Jon Miller-
              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Jon, scientific Space Flight just isn't too much of a profitable sector, yet. No replacement for Hubble would be more profitable than it. they're just trying to save the money they need to 1984 YOU.

Comment

Hubble

One of the best projects yet.
                  Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                  Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Originally posted by Ecthelion
                    Jon, scientific Space Flight just isn't too much of a profitable sector, yet. No replacement for Hubble would be more profitable than it. they're just trying to save the money they need to 1984 YOU.
                    by profitable I mean from the scientific standpoint

Hubble is old technology

(I am well aware that the hubble and hubble type apparatus will never be profitable)

Jon Miller
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

it still produces cool pictures. you got a better camera up there? will you get one up there before scrapping Hubble?

Comment

no

but if I have an option between having to wait longer for a better camera, or not being able to take pictures for a while and getting a better camera earlier

I would get the better camera earlier

JM
                        Jon Miller-
                        I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

I doubt destroying the Hubble will expedite the deployment of its replacement. And most people would choose to be able to take pictures while waiting to save enough for a newer camera. Kinda like people running a car into the ground before getting a new (or used) one. Hubble still works, still collects "useful" data, and is still a symbol of our collective scientific curiosity.

Here's an offical site:
                          Since its 1990 launch, the Hubble Space Telescope has changed our fundamental understanding of the universe.

How much does Hubble cost?

Initially Hubble cost $1.5 billion to build and put into orbit.

Hubble's total budget in one year is in the range $230-250 million. That money does more than simply keep Hubble operating on a daily basis. In addition to operational costs, the total dollar figure includes funds for scientific data analysis, as well as for the development of future hardware and its associated software.

The concept of servicing Hubble to upgrade its instruments rather than launching a whole new telescope has saved billions of dollars.
                          That last bit I don't pay much credence too. Conservation is great and all, but Hubble IS getting old and it would be difficult to keep servicing it. The time has come for it to be replaced, though it can stand to be used a little while longer in the mean time.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Miller
                            Such an old and outdated piece of equpiment. It needs replaced.

Jon Miller
                            [sarcasm]Yes, old space junk needs to to scrapped because it records no useful information.[/sarcasm]
                            There's no game in The Sims. It's not a game. It's like watching a tank of goldfishes and feed them occasionally. - Urban Ranger

Comment

no

it is just if an old peice of equpiment is taking all my money, than it needs to be gotten rid of to open up for new equpiment

same reason why the shuttle needs retired

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN

Comment

Working...
                              X