No announcement yet.

Cat Or Dog

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Get a dog if you have space for it to exercise and time to give it the attention it needs. Cats are definitely more self-sufficient, and some are exceptionally sweet-natured and affectionate. I have a personal preference for dogs, but I've known many cool cats.

Comment

A fellow I knew in high school used to take his dog surfing when we'd go. He'd also take his dog hiking with us, jogging when we went, and the labrador retrevier would jumpr in ponds or streams when we'd go swimming or fishing. The dog just loved people and couldn't bare to be left alone. He was a great dog who'd actually stand on the surf board and actually climb back up on it when they wiped out.

Try doing that with your cat.
      Last edited by Dinner; April 25, 2005, 10:04.
      Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Why would I try to do that with a cat? I don't even want to do it with a dog
        This space is empty... or is it?

Comment

Why would you not want to take your dog with you? He just wants to be your friend and go where you go? Dog's aren't natural swimmers but they'll do anything you do just because they love you and they want to be your friend. There is a reason a dog, not a cat, is man's best friend.
          Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

That's right, you tell them Oerdin!
            In da butt.
            "Do not worry if others do not understand you. Instead worry if you do not understand others." - Confucius
            THE UNDEFEATED SUPERCITIZEN w:4 t:2 l:1 (DON'T ASK!)
            "God is dead" - Nietzsche. "Nietzsche is dead" - God.

Comment

Originally posted by Oerdin
              He just wants to be your friend and go where you go? Dog's aren't natural swimmers but they'll do anything you do just because they love you and they want to be your friend.
              But that's what I don't like about dogs

Comment

My cats act like dogs. Grendel follows me from room to room. Both of them are generally wiating at the door when I come home. They both want attention.

Dogs actually need a lot more attention that cats, if you want to keep them happy. Cats are social critters, but dogs are pack animals, and so if you can't devote the time your dog needs, you shouldn't have one.

I say, teach your woman a lesson. Getta snake. Make sure she's around when you have to feed it.

Seriously, your primary factor in determining your pet should be the amount of attention and care you can give it. Dogs need the most, so if you aren't home a lot or don't want to pay lots of attention to it, don't get one. Cats need less attention, and can be left alone for longer periods of time, days even, as long as there's food or water avaialbe (though they will give you the cold shoulder when you return).
                Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

My dog torments my cat... Another reason to pay $1200 to keep her around.
                  Monkey!!!

Comment

Originally posted by chegitz guevara
                    Seriously, your primary factor in determining your pet should be the amount of attention and care you can give it. Dogs need the most, so if you aren't home a lot or don't want to pay lots of attention to it, don't get one. Cats need less attention, and can be left alone for longer periods of time, days even, as long as there's food or water avaialbe (though they will give you the cold shoulder when you return).
                    I would be home every day but there would be periods to when I would be gone for up to two weeks at a time. My girfriend goes to school near me though and would most likely be here everyday for a few hours even when I'm gone. The thing is I don't have a lot of yard room and I grew up as a kid and teen with my dogs outside in the country doing what they wanted pretty much with no leash to worry about. I don't have that here and I am not fond of inside dogs. Dogs should be medium to big sized and be outside where they can run and get excercise when I'm not around to run them down the street. My ideal pet would be to have a Lab or another German Shepard but where I'm at now that won't happen.

alva you mentioned two cats. To keep them company when I'm not around?
                    Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

The dogs I know (or knew... some have passed away) can all be divided into two groups: One group bites everything that moves, no questions asked, while the other groups dogs are afraid of everything including cats

Comment

Originally posted by Adagio
                        The dogs I know (or knew... some have passed away) can all be divided into two groups: One group bites everything that moves, no questions asked, while the other groups dogs are afraid of everything including cats
                        My grandpa had a hound dog that was afraid of the cat. There would be a lot of times we would be on the front porch and see the dog round the corner of the house followed close behind by the momma cat .
                        Which side are we on? We're on the side of the demons, Chief. We are evil men in the gardens of paradise, sent by the forces of death to spread devastation and destruction wherever we go. I'm surprised you didn't know that. --Saul Tigh

Comment

alva you mentioned two cats. To keep them company when I'm not around?

Partly, yes but they do have a different relationship with each other than they do with mankind.
                          They learn stuff from one another they will never do from us, etc..

Think of it this way;
                          You have a parental relationship with them, while among each other they have a sibling one.
                          (we are talking castrated ones here, otherwise it's a different ball (no pun...) game.

Note that it can take up to a week before they can stand each other and this has to be monitored (especially if one of them is older and the other a kitten), in rare cases they never will btw.
                          Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                          Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

small dogs suck

cats are good in general

big dogs are good in general

but they need to be outdoors, and you need to be the sort that is interested in doing outdoor things with them

JM
                            Jon Miller-
                            I AM.CANADIAN
                            GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

so my vote is cat, but with a caveat

I would also like to say that I have seen some good small dogs...

but they are likely to suck..

JM
                              Jon Miller-
                              I AM.CANADIAN
                              GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

my cat fell of the balcony and she waited for us to return a whole day at the doorsteps

Comment

Working...
                                X