Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"May you live in interesting times..." -Chinese curse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"on the verge"

Agree. However if you're on the verge of something, you're not that something yet.

Therefore, glad to see you agree with me Ata.
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

Dunno, I reckon that in my lifetime we will head towards the time that the supply of oil cannot anywhere near fulfill the demand. Rationed fuel, rationed energy, wars of little oil fields etc. etc. Add to that the supposed 10C rise in mean temperature or so over the next 100 years or so and i can see how we might end up living in interesting times. TBH I think the next 100 years or so will determine if we're destined to last or if we're going out in a bang (or a whimper). If for one wouldn't be surprised if due to the combination of global warming turning large areas of the planet unihabitable, wars and lack of fresh water we'll have a population crash of sorts.

Comment

lightblue, yes that seems reasonable. Twenty or thirty years down the road however. But, things change. Who knows what energy sources will be discovered in that time? Also, I think it was Oerdin that posted a thread about a year ago on a new way of removing salt from ocean water, super cheaply. This could mean that irrigation of huge areas of desert could alleviate the population crisis for the term of your life, if it works. Haven't heard anything about it since.
        Long time member @ Apolyton
        Civilization player since the dawn of time

Comment

I dont get how getting bombed for no reason when going to the market place is interesting. Or how going to the market place without getting shot at is boring....

That's the curse part, maybe.

"...but people are getting to vote now. They're in the middle of building a new country, and are beset on many sides by those who'd see them fail."

Hardly a 'curse' kind of interesting.

They walk a fine line. They mess up, and the whole pooch is screwed. It's not easy, and it's not boring. It's interesting. Maybe a curse, too.
          B♭3

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer
            "on the verge"

Agree. However if you're on the verge of something, you're not that something yet.

Therefore, glad to see you agree with me Ata.
            Always nice to agree with you

Comment

Working...
            X