Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

"May you live in interesting times..." -Chinese curse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "May you live in interesting times..." -Chinese curse?

Ages ago someone told me that saying was a Chinese curse.

Figures too, as when you look at the past times that we discuss here, interesting times, are those of conflict mostly, difficult time in which to enjoy one's life.

Happily, I think we live in fairly boring times. Sure, there's the ongoing struggle to establish a stable democracy in Iraq, but most are unaffected by it. Maybe a bit in the wallet, but that's it. No 'great powers' are struggleing in the mud for a continent, feeding millions into a meat grinder. No tank armies are spreading dictatorship across europe. Great fleets aren't blasting away with broadsides in the channel or bombing each other in the pacific.

I guess we have nukes to thank for these boring times, right?

So, where's it going to get interesting again?
    Long time member @ Apolyton
    Civilization player since the dawn of time

I understand that that curse is about as Chinese as fortune cookies.
    One day Canada will rule the world, and then we'll all be sorry.

Comment

Really? I thought maybe it was something Confusious (sp) came up with.

Comment

IIRC, someone started a thread precisely about it (wasn't it you), and it was said that it's a myth, that Kennedy made popular
        "I have been reading up on the universe and have come to the conclusion that the universe is a good thing." -- Dissident
        "I never had the need to have a boner." -- Dissident
        "I have never cut off my penis when I was upset over a girl." -- Dis

Comment

There is a similar controversy over the Chinese word (wei(1)ji(1)), with some westerners claiming it combines the attributes of "crisis" and "opportunity".

In this case at least there are some grounds for this interpretation, although native speakers are more likely to render weiji as something more like "crisis point".
          Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

By the way, Lancer, are you aware that few in China have ever seen or heard of a "fortune cookie"?

Comment

I think it is Roman actually, from Livy.
              "The DPRK is still in a state of war with the U.S. It's called a black out." - Che explaining why orbital nightime pictures of NK show few lights. Seriously.

Comment

I know Terry Pratchet uses it in a book of his.

Comment

fortune cookies were a marketing scheme.
                  Despot-(1a) : a ruler with absolute power and authority (1b) : a person exercising power tyrannically
                  Beyond Alpha Centauri-Witness the glory of Sheng-ji Yang
                  *****Citizen of the Hive****
                  "...but what sane person would move from Hawaii to Indiana?" -Dis

Comment

Well, here's to living in boring times.

"By the way, Lancer, are you aware that few in China have ever seen or heard of a "fortune cookie"? "

So what's for desert in Peking?

Comment

Originally posted by Flip McWho
                      I know Terry Pratchet uses it in a book of his.
                      Interesting Times is the title of one of the Discworld books.
                      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
                      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
                      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Fortune cookies are wonderful. I love 'em. Used to go down to Chinatown in Chicago and buy giant bags of broken cookies for $1.
                        Christianity: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree...

Comment

Broken fortune cookies??

So, what do they say:

Kerry will win the election.
                          Invest in Enron.
                          Trading Shaq away will turn out to be the smartest thing the Lakers ever do.

Comment

Originally posted by Lancer

So what's for desert in Peking?
                            I'd say "desert" if the encrouching sand dunes and sand storms are any indication ...

Comment

Re: "May you live in interesting times..." -Chinese curse?

Originally posted by Lancer

So, where's it going to get interesting again?
                              It's starting allready, the religious right is getting the Republicans to use "the Nuclear Option," further excacerbating the culture wars and the Two Americas, tearing the country appart on petty social issues. Iraq could go into civil war if the Shia abuse thier power. NK has nukes, and Iran is getting nukes. Russia is falling back into dictatorship. The most powerful nation on earth is in the hands of trigger-happy Cold Warriors as the possibillity of oil wars starts to rear it's ugly head. Need I go on?

Comment

Working...
                              X