Boshko goes to Japan!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boshko goes to Japan!

Looks like I'll be in Osaka next sunday night and monday morning. Anyone who's been in the area want to recommend something fun to do that won't take much time since I'll be geting in pretty late Sunday and will be having to do Visa stuff all monday before I leave.

Oh and what's Japanese for "cheapo motel"?
    Stop Quoting Ben

Go to a capsule hotel. They're the cheapest places you can find and they're actually pretty fun to stay at.

As for Osaka, I can tell you places to go. I won't be around (will be in Shikoku that weekend), but I can make some recommendations. Just let me know what interests you.
    KH FOR OWNER!
    ASHER FOR CEO!!
    GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Take pictures!

Comment

... of Japanese women.
        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Originally posted by Drake Tungsten

Go to a capsule hotel. They're the cheapest places you can find and they're actually pretty fun to stay at.

As for Osaka, I can tell you places to go. I won't be around (will be in Shikoku that weekend), but I can make some recommendations. Just let me know what interests you.
          I'm not too picky, basically anything that's easy to get to, not expensive (at least by Japan standards) and won't take much time, since I'm going to have less than 24 hours in the country and a lot of that I'm going to have to spend doing visa paper work.

thanks!
          Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

I'm tempted to recommend some things in Kyoto as the city is amazing and close to Osaka, but I'm not sure you'll have time for it with your schedule.

In Osaka, Osaka-jo (Osaka Castle) is a good bet. The symbol of the city with beautiful grounds and a decent museum inside.

The aquarium is also really good. Has the largest water tank in the world, which holds whale sharks.

****enno-ji is the best temple in Osaka, but that isn't saying a whole lot. The whole city got leveled by American bombers in WWII, so you're not going to find anything truly old like in Kyoto or Nara. ****enno-ji is one of the oldest temples in Japan (founded in 593 by Shotoku Taishi), but almost all of the buildings are recent reconstructions. It does have the oldest stone torii in Japan, though, dating from 1294.

Osaka is really lacking in the historical and cultural departments, as Kyoto and Nara are so close. It makes up for it in nightlife, though, so if you're looking for a good time you should have no trouble finding it. I recommend you hang around Namba station in the south. Nearby Dotombori is the best restaurant district in Japan and Shinsaibashi and Amerika-mura are great for clubbing, drinking or just general people watching. It should be easy to find a hotel in this area. You'll probably have to do your paperwork up in Umeda, but it's really easy to get from Namba to Umeda on the subway.

Anything else?
            KH FOR OWNER!
            ASHER FOR CEO!!
            GUYNEMER FOR OT MOD!!!

Comment

Got to Fukuoka and check out the great Italian restaurant in the Canal City mall
              "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
              "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
              "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Hmmmmm. Or I could try to find the place with the "menu" you were talking about last year
                Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

That's in Osaka, in the obvious, impossible to miss Red Light area. If you're walking to the Castle, you can't miss it.*

(*guarantee to be understood in light of my past displays of navigational expertise)
                  "Wait a minute..this isn''t FAUX dive, it's just a DIVE!"
                  "...Mangy dog staggering about, looking vainly for a place to die."
                  "sauna stories? There are no 'sauna stories'.. I mean.. sauna is sauna. You do by the laws of sauna." -P.

Comment

Originally posted by Seeker
                    That's in Osaka, in the obvious, impossible to miss Red Light area. If you're walking to the Castle, you can't miss it.*

(*guarantee to be understood in light of my past displays of navigational expertise)
                    Don't worry, I'm sure I can find a guy in a Hawaiin shirt with a lot of jewlery.

Miss you, you should get back over here
                    Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

You ever comin' over to Big Red?
                      Official Homepage of the HiRes Graphics Patch for Civ2

Comment

I'd skip the red light district myself though Kabukicho in Tokyo was something to behold.
                        Try http://wordforge.net/index.php for discussion and debate.

Comment

Do Osakans really have a funny accent?
                          “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                          "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Oh well it looks like I'm only going to be there one day

Anyone know of a good place to get lunch by Namba station?
                            Stop Quoting Ben

Comment

Oh, by next Sunday, you meant next Sunday.
                              “As a lifelong member of the Columbia Business School community, I adhere to the principles of truth, integrity, and respect. I will not lie, cheat, steal, or tolerate those who do.”
                              "Capitalism ho!"

Comment

Working...
                              X