Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Adagio
    As a sidenote:

I just read in a newspaper today that the big bosses at google has a yearly salary on $1 USD

It was their own idea though, since they've made enough money the other years...
    I didn't do a search on it, so I can't say for sure that this is true or not
    They do get other financial rewards though (not only shares which in itself are worth a fortune).
    Read an article about it a couple of weeks ago.
    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

I'm sure they do, but it's a nice wink to the corporate world with all the major executive salaries.

Comment

Don't be evil . . . . . .

Seems to have paid off .

Comment

Steve Jobs also has a salary of $1/year
          Monkey!!!

Comment

Eugh, Japher, what part of LoA's post didn't you get, or did you think needed clarification?
            Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?

Comment

who bothers to read page 1 once a thread gets to page 2?
              Monkey!!!

Comment

I'm still on page one.

Comment

Google's worst nightmare:

Greasemonkey Firefox extension with the Google Butlet script.
                  "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
                  Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

Comment

as long as it doesn't come free and installed with firefox, google is ok

JM
                    Jon Miller-
                    I AM.CANADIAN
                    GENERATION 35: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Comment

Here's more. Online is ~ 3-4% of the ad market. I'm guessing that Google can take some share from others in the online space, as well as take share from traditional media.

Google gains bode ill for radio and TV
                      Search engine reports $369.2 mil quarterly profit

By BLOOMBERG

The eye-popping revenue and profit growth reported last Thursday by the most-used Internet search engine -- profit up more than five-fold to $369.2 million for the quarter and sales nearly doubling to $1.26 billion -- came from surging Internet advertising.

"The numbers from Google are, by any definition, spectacular," said Bob Parker, deputy chairman of Credit Suisse Asset Management in London, which oversees $335 billion. "There's going to be a clear shift from radio and TV advertising to Internet advertising. That clearly benefits companies like Google."

The stock, sold to the public at $85, rose $11.59 to close Friday at $215.81 in Nasdaq composite trading after earlier surging to $224. That surpassed the previous record of $216.80 after last quarter's earnings report. Yahoo, which this week also reported a surge in profit and record sales, fell 71¢ to $35.16.

The increase in Google's stock price pushed the company's market value to $60 billion, more than media congloms such as Viacom and Disney, not to mention industrial icons such asGeneral Motors, Ford and Hewlett-Packard.

Google shares are worth $275 to $290 each, Goldman, Sachs analyst Anthony Noto in New York said Friday. Noto, the top-ranked Internet analyst by Institutional Investor magazine, called Google's earnings report "outstanding."

Record revenue from Google and Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Yahoo illustrates the growing shift of advertising spending from traditional media such as newspapers and broadcast television.

Internet advertising "is probably about 3 or 4 percent of worldwide spending but growing very rapidly," WPP Group chief executive officer Martin Sorrell said. WPP is the world's second-biggest advertising company.

"We are seeing it overtake radio, for example, in the U.K. and online purchasing is growing at a prodigious rate in the U.S.," Sorrell said.

Google's quarterly sales eclipse the combined revenue of the New York Times, the third-largest U.S. newspaper company and Dow Jones, publisher of the Wall Street Journal.
                      I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Google Market Cap > Disney is a bubble. Internet advertising is growing, but still nowhere near the size of TV. Google Market Cap > Biggest Radio Conglomerate is justifiable.
                        “It is no use trying to 'see through' first principles. If you see through everything, then everything is transparent. But a wholly transparent world is an invisible world. To 'see through' all things is the same as not to see.”

― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Comment

I don't know, dude. I can't help but agree with you, but following a simple NPV calculator that I put together before Google's IPO, you can get to the current valuations pretty easily. Just plunk in a 10% discount rate and 30% net margins.

At a minimum, I think that could be a wrong view.
                          I came upon a barroom full of bad Salon pictures in which men with hats on the backs of their heads were wolfing food from a counter. It was the institution of the "free lunch" I had struck. You paid for a drink and got as much as you wanted to eat. For something less than a rupee a day a man can feed himself sumptuously in San Francisco, even though he be a bankrupt. Remember this if ever you are stranded in these parts. ~ Rudyard Kipling, 1891

Comment

Working...
                          X