No announcement yet.

I'm going to buy myself a bigger computer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Um, you are not talking about ripping, you are talking about encoding. Ripping is making a copy of a sound track off a CD as a .wav file. Encoding is converting a .wav file into another format ( .mp3, etc.).
    So you're telling me that when I "rip" (in a loose sense) a song from a CD with iTunes or WMP, they copy the song as a .wav file (ripping in the strict sense of the term) and then they encode it? So I guess I was using the term loosely.

You said:

It doesn't matter. It's all digital.
    A lot of people say this. And It's either plainly false, or I don't understand what they're saying. For example, a friend of mine plays his CD's on his DVD player. But he also has a good CD player. I pointed out to him that he should play his CD's on his CD player, that it would probably sound better that way. He answered that it doesn't matter, its all digital. I believe he's wrong. So care to tell me what you meant?
    Let us be lazy in everything, except in loving and drinking, except in being lazy – Lessing

Comment

Originally posted by nostromo
      So you're telling me that when I "rip" (in a loose sense) a song from a CD with iTunes or WMP, they copy the song as a .wav file (ripping in the strict sense of the term) and then they encode it? So I guess I was using the term loosely.
      Yeah, many programs can do both together, so many people are using the term "rip" loosely

A lot of people say this. And It's either plainly false, or I don't understand what they're saying. For example, a friend of mine plays his CD's on his DVD player. But he also has a good CD player. I pointed out to him that he should play his CD's on his CD player, that it would probably sound better that way. He answered that it doesn't matter, its all digital. I believe he's wrong. So care to tell me what you meant?
      What I meant is a bit (represented by a pit, or the lack of, on a CD) is either 1 or 0. There's nothing like a 97% of a bit. When you rip a sound track of a CD, the program read the bits off the CD and writes to a file. Since the data is in bits, the copying is 100% accurate.

Dropping bits here or there may not be important to a song, but it can completely mess up other binary data such as encrypted files. If a bit drops off in the middle of an encrypted file, it could become completely garbled.
      (\__/) 07/07/1937 - Never forget
      (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan
      (")_(") "Starting the fire from within."

Comment

Originally posted by Asher
        Out of lumber.
        That famed Canadian softwood?
        He's got the Midas touch.
        But he touched it too much!
        Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

There should be no appreciable difference between the two when it comes to playing WAV files.
          He's got the Midas touch.
          But he touched it too much!
          Hey Goldmember, Hey Goldmember!

Comment

Originally posted by Sikander
            There should be no appreciable difference between the two when it comes to playing WAV files.
            That what I figured, but I'm not an expert in audio equipment.
            (='.'=) "Claims demand evidence; extraordinary claims demand extraordinary evidence." -- Carl Sagan

Comment

I would like to build the machine myself but I don't have the time nor the technical expertise... besides I guess that's best for medium-low end systems... a box like the one I linked to has 2x Geforce 6600 GT's... which would set you back ~£120 each... plus a decent sized monitor, 5.1 sound system etc etc... and the whole thing is £1300 probably because the company can get those parts wholesale whereas I can't.

I'm debating with myself as to whether I should get that system, or a cheaper laptop, with a lower spec, lower price, but the advantage of being mobile. Thoughts? Needless to say, if I went for a laptop it'd be an IBM just to shut Asher up.
              "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
              "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

Building a box isn't difficult. Nowadays you almost can't go wrong, they all got notches, etc. so they can only go in one way. The only "hard" part is the CPU + cooler.

All you need to do is to take your time and follow the instructions. If you haven't done this before read the manuals first.

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                  Needless to say, if I went for a laptop it'd be an IBM just to shut Asher up.
                  I'd think actually getting a bigger penis would be more effective in accomplishing that task.
                  Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Depending on what side you would....
                    Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing?
                    Then why call him God? - Epicurus

Comment

Bigger computer? How about this one?

ACK!
                      Don't try to confuse the issue with half-truths and gorilla dust!

Comment

Building a box isn't difficult. Nowadays you almost can't go wrong, they all got notches, etc. so they can only go in one way. The only "hard" part is the CPU + cooler.
                        But the aforementioned cost?

Bigger computer? How about this one?
                        Why not send it to Ming?

I'd think actually getting a bigger penis would be more effective in accomplishing that task.
                        Surely it would have the opposite effect?
                        "I work in IT so I'd be buggered without a computer" - Words of wisdom from Provost Harrison
                        "You can be wrong AND jewish" - Wiglaf :love:

Comment

So I got the Bose headphones today. I'm going to break them in over the weekend. They sound pretty damn nice and are incredibly comfortable.
                          Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

Originally posted by Whaleboy
                            Surely it would have the opposite effect?
                            I was assuming his mouth would be otherwise occupied.
                            Tutto nel mondo è burla

Comment

UR, you're plain wrong, it's a widely known fact that a ripped CD will lose some quality over the IDE channel.
                              In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                                UR, you're plain wrong, it's a widely known fact that a ripped CD will lose some quality over the IDE channel.
                                Talking through your hat, again.

Comment

Working...
                                X