Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US universities/colleges still suck

for computer science.

The results of the annual ACM programming competition.

1,582 universities from 71 countries on six continents compete.

The top US school is in 17th...

The University of Waterloo placed 4th, University of Calgary placed 31st. University of Alberta was 29. CalTech was 33, MIT was 60th. The highest ranked American university was the University of Illinois at 17.

The University of Toronto, Queens, Western, etc. didn't make it to the finals. I don't know when they were eliminated.

C|Net has an article about how American universities are dropping in rank consistently every year, and what it might mean for the industry: http://news.com.com/Can+Johnny+still...ml?tag=nefd.ac

For completeness, Gold Medals:
    1) Shanghai Jiaotong University, China
    2) Moscow State University, Russia
    3) St Petersburg Institute of Fine Mechanics and Optics, Russia
    4) University of Waterloo, Canada

Silver medals:
    5) University of Wroclaw, Poland
    6) Fudan University, China
    7) KTH - Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
    8) Norwegian University of Science & Technology, Norway

Bronze medals:
    9) Izhevsk State Technical University, Russia
    10) POLITEHNICA University Bucharest, Hungary
    11) Peking University, China
    12) The University of Hong Kong, China

As you can see, the University of Toronto and University of Chicago are obviously inferior universities.
    "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."
    Ben Kenobi: "That means I'm doing something right. "

I'd bet a lot of money that CMU is way better than any Canadian school for CS. And why the hell are you talking about U Chicago? It's not like it's supposed to have some awesome CS program or anything.

Comment

ACM = Association of Communists, Maoists ?

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
        I'd bet a lot of money that CMU is way better than any Canadian school for CS. And why the hell are you talking about U Chicago? It's not like it's supposed to have some awesome CS program or anything.
        Carnegie Mellon?

They were in 55th place this year.

I mentioned UChicago and UToronto for personal reasons.

University of Waterloo is where it's at in the West if you want a great CS/engineering school. Both IBM and Microsoft (the two largest software companies) hire more graduates from Waterloo than any other single instutition in the world.

Most of the younger employees at the IBM Lab I work at are from Waterloo, University of Calgary, or University of Alberta -- with the odd UofT student thrown in (local boys).
        "The issue is there are still many people out there that use religion as a crutch for bigotry and hate. Like Ben."

Comment

Why isn't the University of Idaho listed?

Comment

HTF do you do a programming contest?
            In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Originally posted by Asher

Carnegie Mellon?

They were in 55th place this year.
              So what?

Comment

Re: US universities/colleges still suck

Originally posted by Asher
                As you can see, the University of Toronto ... are obviously inferior universities.

I do not dispute that Waterloo is better than Toronto as far as Computer Science is concerned. If I had been in a different fiscal position, I would have gone to Waterloo instead. They did accept me, after all.

Unfortunately, it's all water under the bridge now.
                Blog | Civ2 Scenario League | leo.petr at gmail.com

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                  HTF do you do a programming contest?
                  Extremely complex problems, time how fast they can code a solution. It's not a technical "programming" contest as much as it is a problem-solving contest.

The winner solves the most problems in the shortest amount of time.

Comment

For completeness, Gold Medals:
                    1) Shanghai Jiaotong University, China
                    2) Moscow State University, Russia
                    3) St Petersburg Institute of Fine Mechanics and Optics, Russia
                    4) University of Waterloo, Canada

Silver medals:
                    5) University of Wroclaw, Poland
                    6) Fudan University, China
                    7) KTH - Royal Institute of Technology, Sweden
                    8) Norwegian University of Science & Technology, Norway

Bronze medals:
                    9) Izhevsk State Technical University, Russia
                    10) POLITEHNICA University Bucharest, Hungary
                    11) Peking University, China
                    12) The University of Hong Kong, China

Not one respectable institute of higher learning among them.

I guess that computer science must not be a serious academic subject.
                    Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Kuciwalker
                      So what?
                      So their best students are obviously not as good as everyone else's.

Carnegie Mellon is an important university to CompSci history, it's just kinda...stalled. You're more likely to hear about it in a CS history course than a modern CS course talking about the latest cutting-edge research.

Comment

Originally posted by Agathon
                        Not one respectable institute of higher learning among them.

I guess that computer science must not be a serious academic subject.
                        Computer Science is a rigourous academic subject, ones that Philosophers have been failing out of for decades.

It just also requires the funding it deserves, moreso than artsy courses. University without proper funding do not attract the best researchers (professors), which then does not attract the best students.

UofA and UofC place well because King Ralphy is throwing money at what he calls the "ICT" programs at the schools, giving them ample budget to compete and draw talent, which then draws students.

Comment

Are the rankings consistent from year to year?
                          In Soviet Russia, Fake borises YOU.

Comment

Computer Science is a rigourous academic subject, ones that Philosophers have been failing out of for decades

Oh rubbish.

It's playing with toys and involves very little original or creative thought. Well it involves what computer scientists would call creative or original thought -- but it bores the hell out of everyone else.

If a contest doesn't include the usual suspects, it's a sign it's a poor contest or one not worth worrying about. It's as if Albania had won the World Cup.
                            Only feebs vote.

Comment

Originally posted by Oncle Boris
                              Are the rankings consistent from year to year?
                              Yup, more or less.

Comment

Working...
                              X